LA: Santa Monica, West Hollywood or Beverly Hills?

Hackler

OK so I'm spending 3 days in LA after a work trip taking in DC and a week in NYC.

I've stayed 24 hours in LA in West Hollywood and enjoyed it - but I have a travel agent suggesting The Ambrose in Santa Monica or Hotel Luxe in Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills.

Now I'll be on my lonesome so after a 'tough' day visiting newsrooms like the LA Times I'd love a drink somewhere where I can kick back in a tshirt and trainers and where I don't feel like an idiot and can have a chat with strangers.

Also love a shop too... so I'm wondering if Santa Monica may be WAY out of my way for things like West Hollywood and Downtown (where I will do my 'work' - it's quite the junket!!)

Like I say - I did LA for 24 hours last year and West Hollywood was handy (except for the $150 in cabs!) - but haven't seen much else of the city so hoping for your help!

There is not a single noteworthy bar in Beverly Hills, nor is there one you can kick back in a t-shirt.

Santa Monica is more relaxed but it is full of tourists and severely lacking in terms of bars/restaurants. The only place I enjoy in SM is the King's Head, and that's only because it's a decent place to get a pint, eat some fish and chips, and watch a rugby/soccer match. Shopping is mediocre. Fred Segal is occassionally worth visiting, but all of the other stores in the area are chains like Club Monaco, Zara, etc.

If you are going to be working in downtown / W. Hollywood, I would strongly suggest staying in West Hollywood again, or if you are set on seeing more of the city, downtown. I can guarantee you that if you spent 24 hrs around W. Hollywood last time, you probably saw less than 1% of what it has to offer.

Some decent places off the top of my head.............

Bars:

Jones

The Third Stop

Bar Lubitsch

Bar Marmont

Restaurants:

Farmer's Market

Cobras & Matadors

Dan Tana's

Shopping:

Maxfield

Opening Ceremony

APC

Helmut Lang

Marc Jacobs

Steven Alan

Scout

South Willard

Agnes B

Fred Segal

Of course, downtown has a load of great places too........

If you are going to be working in downtown / W. Hollywood, I would strongly suggest staying in West Hollywood again, or if you are set on seeing more of the city, downtown. I can guarantee you that if you spent 24 hrs around W. Hollywood last time, you probably saw less than 1% of what it has to offer.

Some decent places off the top of my head.............

Bars:

Jones

The Third Stop

Bar Lubitsch

Bar Marmont

Restaurants:

Farmer's Market

Cobras & Matadors

Dan Tana's

Shopping:

Maxfield

Opening Ceremony

APC

Helmut Lang

Marc Jacobs

Steven Alan

Scout

South Willard

Agnes B

Fred Segal

Of course, downtown has a load of great places too........

90048 represent! all those stuff are near my old place.

basically try to find something in the area of beverly blvd/ melrose/ santa monica at la cienega. of all la, best place to live in imo ;)

90048 represent! all those stuff are near my old place.

basically try to find something in the area of beverly blvd/ melrose/ santa monica at la cienega. of all la, best place to live in imo ;)

Ha hah. Word.

90048 T.H.U.G. L.I.F.E.

By thug life I mean lots of rich persians.

Ha hah. Word.

90048 T.H.U.G. L.I.F.E.

By thug life I mean lots of rich persians.

Isn't it 90212 or 90210 for Pharcis in the hood? Anyways, SM sucks as I spent most of my high school life there and have to agree with England that the more exciting places would be in W.Hollywood for sure.

+1 on Bar Lubitsch + Cobras & Matadors.

Isn't it 90212 or 90210 for Pharcis in the hood? Anyways, SM sucks as I spent most of my high school life there and have to agree with England that the more exciting places would be in W.Hollywood for sure.

+1 on Bar Lubitsch + Cobras & Matadors.

90210, 90211, 90212 and 90048 are all adjoining zips. Lots of Persians all around here.