Visvim F/W 08.09

rirawin

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah i held those $460 size 12s in my hand on sunday. they were nice but not *that* much nicer than my jokhang fbts which i got for literally *half* the price.

as far as i could tell, the big difference was that the construction felt much "softer" at the toe ... like you could grab and pinch the front like a sock, whereas with other FBTs the front is much sturdier. and it's lined in some leather that feels like the outside of my elk ancestors.

if it makes you guys feel better we went shopping at barney's and my wife pointed out that the see by chloe parade jacket i bought her two years ago at american rag for $600 now cost more than $1000.

i'm sure they'd be selling regular fbts for 360 give or take at this point, i would say the folk fbts are actually probably that much nicer to justify +100.

the real question is any of it worth 350+? (rhetorical question = do not answer please)

my understanding is that along with the yen crushing the dollar, nakamura keeps raising wholesale prices. he should just move his us accounts to maxfields and barneys flagship co-op and get it over with already

yeah i held those $460 size 12s in my hand on sunday. they were nice but not *that* much nicer than my jokhang fbts which i got for literally *half* the price.

as far as i could tell, the big difference was that the construction felt much "softer" at the toe ... like you could grab and pinch the front like a sock, whereas with other FBTs the front is much sturdier. and it's lined in some leather that feels like the outside of my elk ancestors.

if it makes you guys feel better we went shopping at barney's and my wife pointed out that the see by chloe parade jacket i bought her two years ago at american rag for $600 now cost more than $1000.

I hate you so much.

can anybody who owns a gore-tex bickle jacket speak about the quality of the jacket? i am considering picking up the bickle shown in the picture above but i'm not really sure if it's a great investment ...

i guess what i'm getting at is that i'm not sure exactly where the price tag comes from ... you can get a nice goretex m-65 from nike sportswear for $400, but it fits a bit like a sail and it's unlined.

what's the "selling point" of the visvim m-65? how's the fit? are there any "hidden" technical features i should know about?

The Visvim Bickle is a 3L, if you want something more get the Valdez (114,000 Yen) or the Lapland (90,000 Yen) if you want Gore-tex and lining. The bickle has taped seams and is just a performance shell... retail was 79,000 yen, so a lot more than the $400... especially with the current exchange rate. I've got this seasons one coming my way to accompany my pollard which buttons in as an insulator. Quality is decent, I have a NN Nomad, Lieutanant and Pollard and I'm pretty happy with all three. Admittedly you could get an Arc'teryx or North Face for the fraction of the price... as always you're paying for the label.

Interesting. I have a Bickle too, and I do like it a lot. There aren't any amazing features you're paying for, just fun little details. Of course, I got mine for like $200, so it was worth the price.

How warm is the Pollard for insulation? I'm considering getting one, but I'd like it to stand up to the cold cold Boston winter. Do you think the Bickle/Pollard combo would work as a winter coat?

Also, how would you rate the warmth of the Lieutenant?

pollard is fuckin warm - I'm sweating in the damned thing at 8 deg celcius - if you can fuckin fit the damned things.

this seasons pollards are on some shrunken head hunter shit...

XL fits like a medium around the body... I ain't shitting you... my friend wears small/medium and the XL 'FITS' like a MA1 repro should....

two tone FBT's drop tomorrow

ol' stock barefoots up at FIL Harajuku

two tone keif's in all sizes

camo garbage keif's in all sizes

garbage engineer boots in all sizes

mmj garbage in garbage sizes

leather joints in hot-damaged-garbage look in all sizes - just get a fuckin Buzz for the money.

Valdez sold out in XL

bunch of denim - hot-damaged-garbage and raw joints

varsity's in both versions

flannel with the retarded zip front in 3 colours

more striped garbage than should be legally made

oh yeah those wack 'tennis shoes' with the red/blue/etc animal print heel tab garbage

room scents/candles

some wallets - one blue suede left (display model only)

woven leather belts were popular this season

dita joints are in and over 50k each *bwaaahahahahaha*

I AM NOT DOING PICK UPS.

Interesting. I have a Bickle too, and I do like it a lot. There aren't any amazing features you're paying for, just fun little details.

see i know visvim - and every other hot jp brand - is about details, but there are many different ways they do their details, right?

for example, you could look at something like the antwerp L/S bd shirt. where the heck else are you going to find a dress shirt with that sort of detailing? or a tee shirt with beads embroidered on the neck, or a wool work shirt with a color contrast panel on the sleeve? if i had the scratch i wouldn't mind paying the extra price for one of these?

another type of detail is the materials used. sure i could buy a pair of minnetonka mocassins or a pair of vans old school lows, but would they be made of elk leather and pony hair? or a 3L shell done in plaid goretex? a technical backpack done with shaker quilt or fair isle knit?this is probably where i'm most inclined to shell out for visvim, because i really know what i'm paying for.

then there's technical touches / crazy detailing. i don't much go for this. i'm thinking stuff like acronym jackets or unrivaled's combo ma-1 with m-65 sleeves. all that stuff really strikes me as try-hard overkill, like a slightly more respectable version of those snowboard jackets with integrated mp3 player controls (acronym's OTT technical stuff) or that ridiculous post-undercover goth ninja attire that the superfashion crew go for (weird combo garments like mashup military jackets and cardigan capes).

then there's the pieces that combine really classic detailing with modern updated fits / colors. yeah, you could buy a really high quality pendleton shirt for like $100 but they tend toward drab suburban dad colors. or you could buy a hipster flannel shirt - like maiden noir or stussy or something - for around the same price, and it would have dope updated colors and fit, but you'd be stuck with cheap construction and materials. and it doesn't have that "classic" vibe. or you could try to find a vintage piece that does have fresh colors and high quality, but good luck finding it deadstock. this is a little iffy-er sort of category, where i'd put stuff like the recent $300 w)taps flannel work shirts. yeah, it's a lot, but you're getting a level of design + quality + fit that is just *really* impossible to find in the general consumer market.

but the bickle ... i don't know, like rirawarin said, there are cheaper technical shells. and there's no other premium materials. and there's no real detailing that i can make out, unless you count the weird visvim patches they put on it (at least they're black on black). and the fit is nothing special?

sorry for the long-winded post, i'm just lazily considering the implications of this purchase & my general rationale for following visvim out loud.

to be honest.

some of the vis gear is the balls

some is garbage

and there's a range in between.

it just sucks ass when the garment you want ends up being garbage... I had HIGH expectations of the leather this season... but after trying on various repro brands... the vis' paaaales in comparison and the price tag is nonsense... even worse is the 'distressing' ... looks like a 2 minute job with some griptape!

Eurodoucheness anyone?