Moving to New Jersey

red120

Hey dudes..

I'm probably gonna be moving to New Brunswick, NJ in a few weeks for work reasons.

Don't know much about it besides that it's pretty close to NYC. Never lived in US before for an extended time.

Anyone have some cool places to hit up? It is a pretty small city, so I guess I might be shooting fish in a barrel to ask here. Is public transportation good enough not to buy a vehicle? But more importantly.. boutiques, lounges, restaurants, jazz bars, cafe, bookstores, etc.? Things to do!

Any tips on the US/NJ in general? Or should I just give up and explore NYC instead?

Cheers..

It's kind of close to NYC....about an hour train ride. Public transportation by bus does exist but for new brunswick and all of NJ in general you 100% need a car if you want to get ANYWHERE.

Forget boutiques or any shopping, doesn't exist. It's a college town so there are a lot of cheap eats and bars, although most of them are filled with college aged kids. Most restaurants, bars, and cafes all congregate along George street. Nothing spectacular but the nightlife is more varied than most other places in NJ (which is not saying much).

What company do you work for that they'd send you to New Brunswick? Nobody really travels internationally to NB unless it's for Rutgers, Johnson and Johnson, or one of the hospitals?

Cheap food is good. I'm just graduated a few years ago, so I'll blend right in.

Thinking of picking up a motorcycle, should be a lot cheaper than a car. Just have to grab my license. Although if there's nothing to do in Jersey, might just work-sleep-work-sleep and then train to NYC every weekend. And yep, Sushi, I am going to be working at JNJ there.

Hope it won't be too boring at night, but moving to somewhere where I don't know anyone, I expect it will be boring at first.. haha XD

I was recently given a zagat guide for the best japanese restaurants in the us an found that there were tons of places rated highly around nj.

I would get a car if I was you. The last winter in the ny/nj area lasted from november to april so its probably not a good idea to get a bike unless you like freezing your balls off.

Also, hit up wawa for huge sandwiches and other goodies.