Getting VAT (or TVA) back when leaving Europe?

MikeN

I'm a NYC'er in Paris right now. A few people told me I can get up to 20% of the money I spent on clothing and stuff back when I get to the airport? Is this true, I can't seem to find a definitive answer.

Yes, it is definitely true, but it's unlikely you will get it for most things as many items aren't eligible, many places don't accommodate it and certainly won't fill out the form you need unless you ask. There are also minimums in each country: not sure what it is in France (so for instance, if the minimum is 50 EUR and you buy a 20 EUR t-shirt, you wouldn't be eligible).

If you are in a high-end department store, for instance, ask for a VAT refund slip when you make your purchase and they will fill one out for you that you bring to the refund counter at the airport when you leave. Takes 4-6 weeks and they will contact the store who issued the slip and reimburse your credit card for the amount. I've done it many times in Europe. Some places also offer "tax-free" shopping whereby if you show them your passport, they will deduct the VAT from the purchase.

This should be somewhat helpful for you:

http://traveltax.msu.edu/vat/vat.htm

• 2 weeks later...

Be careful those bastards have some sort of time limit on the VATback though. I went to the desk in Heathrow with a pile of VAT slips after living in London for a year and the guy wasnt havin it. Im sure I could have gotten some money back if I had handled it differently but we ended up getting in a fight and my girl had to pull me away lest I get arrested and we miss our flight to India. C'est la vie. As long as youre only staying for a few weeks you should be fine, just make sure to ask for the VAT slips as the store clerks wont give you the heads up one something that requires them to fill out more paperwork. Enjoy your trip, Paris has a lot to offer

Ok so I did this. The Ann Demeulemeester store in Antwerp said I would get 20% back...that seems a bit high to me. And Lanvin in Paris said...actually I can't remember, but they calculated my return right at the store. Got them stamped at CDG Airport and mailed them off when I got back to NY. I guess now we wait.

Ok so I did this. The Ann Demeulemeester store in Antwerp said I would get 20% back...that seems a bit high to me. And Lanvin in Paris said...actually I can't remember, but they calculated my return right at the store. Got them stamped at CDG Airport and mailed them off when I got back to NY. I guess now we wait.

Not high. VAT in most European countries is between 18-20%.

Many stores take a 'refund fee' however, so the actual amount can be 2-4% less.

I got a 170euro ruiter tassen bag in Austria about a week ago. The shop owner filled in a tax return slip and all i had to do was to display it to the VAT return counter at Heathrow airport. The tax return slip indicated that the amount returned should be between 15-20%. The receipt stated that the VAT is at 20%, but i only got a return of 19euros. And guess what, Heathrow airport charges an extra 2.50pounds commission.

Should have brushed up my German to ask the guys over there

The amount you get for VAT in Antwerp is higher than what you get in Paris.

Antwerp = 19-20%, spend a minimum of 125EUR same day, same shop

Paris = 12%, spend a minimum of 175EUR same day, same shop

You also have the option of getting cash back immediately at the airport instead of getting it back on your credit card, which requires a 4-6 week wait (there's actually been a couple instances where people never received the return at all). The only downside of getting cash is that there usually is a longer line for cash back and they take a small commission (2% or so). I would still recommend getting cash since it's immediate and guaranteed.

The reason "dasper" didn't get the VAT back is because you have to get your form stamped and mailed no later than 3 months after the purchase. Also, make sure you do all this before checking in your luggage because they will refuse to stamp your form if you can't show them the item.

You also have the option of getting cash back immediately at the airport instead of getting it back on your credit card, which requires a 4-6 week wait (there's actually been a couple instances where people never received the return at all). The only downside of getting cash is that there usually is a longer line for cash back and they take a small commission (2% or so). I would still recommend getting cash since it's immediate and guaranteed.

the instant cash back thing has to be opted into by the store, they're a company that provides administrative services so the stores don't have to worry about it. they charge a pretty hefty "convenience fee" and are also happy to give you lousy exchange rates if you don't want the money back in local currency (as you depart the country/EU). if the stores do use the program then they won't give you any other option

if the store's not participating then they'll either handle it themselves or will just tell you they don't do it. antwerp boutiques are really good about this (the local phrase is "de-tax"), don't have too much experience in paris although printemps also used that company.

btw the chances of this working in japan are pretty minimal considering the retail economy is so heavily cash-based.