Book Club

broneck

Remember when there was a book club and I contributed thousands of words on Lolita and a few other people chimed in and then a couple of other books got chosen and no one even bothered to read those books and book club just kind of petered out and then the thread became some kind of ghost town? Yeah, man, those were the days.

Remember when there was a book club and I contributed thousands of words on Lolita and a few other people chimed in and then a couple of other books got chosen and no one even bothered to read those books and book club just kind of petered out and then the thread became some kind of ghost town? Yeah, man, those were the days.

I like it when everyone chooses a book I've already read and then I pretend I know more about it than anyone despite the fact I probably read it like six years ago and am fishing most of my descriptives from old James Wood reviews and theasaurus.com.

KIND of my modus operandi.

Hello everyone. I would like to propose, officially, the Original of Laura. It's really short, and therefore should be agreeable to most. Further, it has massive potential for discussion, as the cards were assembled in the order that they were only believed to belong in (not necessarily as they actually do according to Nabokov's vision). Interestingly, Nabokov wrote an entire novel (A Pale Fire) devoted to this very topic - an authour's authority over his being stripped after his death, and his actual purpose perverted by someone who claims to know what the deceased actually wanted said.

Therefore, the Original of Laura is my submission for a book we should all agree upon, read, and discuss. Mostly, because I remember starting this thread, and then all the shit Landho talked about happening, happened.

Thoughts?

Book nominations going on right now? How about Atlas Shrugged? Been reading it for the past month and have only been able to finish a third of it with school. Don't think we could discuss it in a month if people only started now..but maybe two or three? haha

HAHAHAHA I will talk about this for SURE if y'all want to read it.

I don't think you guys should do another nabakov on account of already having done one, and also on account of most people involved probably not having read enough Nabakov to properly discuss the book in context.

Also considering the likelyhood of all members of book club actually finishing a HUGE ASS book why don't you pick something short. No hate, just saying with all the commitments amongst the group you'd be hard pressed to get more than a few people to finish a short book, let alone a long ass one.

I submit the following because I think you'd like them:

Time's Arrow by Martin Amis

The Englishmans Boy by Guy Vanderhaegh

Shame by Salman Rushdie

The Innocent Millionaire by Stephen Vizinzcey

Sweet, I havn't read it in a while and I think I lost my copy, are we agreed? Because if so I'm gonna go cop a new one at chappies this weekend.

It's totally a fucking sweet book, plus most people havn't read it, which is kind of what you want with book club. I mean, I can stop a motherfucker on campus and he's probably read the road, this shit though, this shit requires a group agreement.