Book Club

broneck

Read the first chapter of Real World and it seemed really engrossing. Will probably be able to get through that very quickly.

Was wondering whether we should read Infinite Jest next. It's a huge undertaking, but we could do so in memory of David Foster Wallace.

I haven't participated in this thread, but I quite enjoy Wallace's work and heard the news this morning of his death, and began leafing through my favorite parts of IJ contemplating re-reading it during the fall semester. It'd be great to have a discussion of IJ

I think more people should be exposed to his writing on this commodified-consumeristic online community, particularly Infinite Jest.

Awesome, is there a "complete by" date? Also, did we reach a decision on which edition translation is the right move?

Finish the book by October 11! Discussion of the book throughout, up until October 18.

The Peter Theroux translation, published as Children of the Alley, is the one that we'll be going by. The other version, translated by Philip Stewart as Children of Gebelaawi, is out of print and difficult to find. (You can find it online in limited quantities, and even then it will be close to $30, whereas the other translation will be widely available at Borders and Barnes and Noble, among other places.)

I'm almost done with the first section and while I am enjoying it, I am also finding myself being constantly skeptical about what nuances are being missed, or clumsily over-emphasized, as a result of translation...especially in the dialog.

I'm almost done with the first section and while I am enjoying it, I am also finding myself being constantly skeptical about what nuances are being missed, or clumsily over-emphasized, as a result of translation...especially in the dialog.

I wondered about that at first, but then I just read the story as is. Unlike Nabokov, whose works are rich with wordplay and is intended to exist solely as words on the page, Mahfouz's works are more concerned with the meaning and the story. So the nuances lost in translation may not be as big a deal as in other works.

• 2 weeks later...

Are people still reading Children of the Alley?

have any thoughts to share?

I have been really busy recently, still haven't had a chance to find a copy. Hopefully this weekend I will get started on it though.

Yea, i've been reading it for a week now. I've been really lazy so i've only made it through 50 pages but so far it has been a very enjoyable read. I don't have much interesting or insightful to share. Wondering which brother will be thrown out next....

I am about halfway through Children of the Alley myself. Have also been very busy lately. Should we extend the deadline on Children? To get at least some vestiges of discussion on it in?

I would keep in mind the stories of the Judeo-Christian-Islamic faith in mind when reading this.... It's not a secret, but in my case it definitely sharpened my enjoyment of the book.

I am a little less than halfway through it and its definitely an enjoyable and worthwhile read...it is also incredibly straightforward and a relatively quick read. I will post make a more thoughtful analytical post later today talking about the first two sections...unless some of you would rather I withhold for now so as not to spoil the beginning of the book for those of you who have yet to start. Let me know.

who is choosing the next book?

I am OK with current deadline, but if it needs to be extended that is OK too. I don't want to establish precedent for Book Club losing dedication/seriousness and falling apart though... too late?

I love the Book Club but I was afraid that people’s enthusiasm would wane once they actually got down to the reading and discussion part. I would be okay with extending

the deadline so that people can get their reading in; it’s more important at this point, I think, to keep the community alive by keeping people involved rather than adhering martinetishly to a set of admittedly arbitrary standards.

As for the next book, I would suggest that either cjbreed be allowed to choose given his fairly constant participation and enthusiasm or that we (try to) read Infinite Jest in memory of David Foster Wallace. Thoughts?

Also, I’ve talked to some members about how a SuFu Movie Club could be more palatable to most than a SuFu Book Club…. Thoughts? There would certainly be less of a time commitment.

My feeling is that trying to have relatively serious and thoughtful discussion on an internet message board is much more effective and precise with the written word than film. Plus, I like reading more than watching movies.

As for the next book, I would definitely be an advocate of cjbreed picking. If we are worried about this thing falling apart, something as daunting as Infinite Jest might be a rough move. I would be especially enthusiastic about anything by William Gibson (other than Pattern Recognition) since I am definitely going to the Self Edge party in November.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally started reading Children of the Alley. Finished the Ahdam section, close to p100 now.

I like it.

further reflections soon.

by the way just read The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz. I like Diaz quite a lot, think he is very cool and particularly intelligent.

reminds me of Lethem (extremely nerdy at times) and Murakami (some magical realism), though this may be more telling of my background in contemporary literature than of Diaz's actual writing style.

I finished...it was great...I will be happy to post my thoughts once everyone else who will be finishing is finished.

Is anyone going to be up for another go at this, or is this thing dead?