supermeatheads

kunk75

Need some advice for squatting. I can't get past 225 x 4, my sticking point seems to be just past parallel after getting out of the hole (high bar). Does half squatting help at all? I've been doing some front squats and cleans about twice a week and I'm struggling to go up on those as well. No lower body isolation work for the past 5-6 months...

• 2 weeks later...

Need some advice for squatting. I can't get past 225 x 4, my sticking point seems to be just past parallel after getting out of the hole (high bar). Does half squatting help at all? I've been doing some front squats and cleans about twice a week and I'm struggling to go up on those as well. No lower body isolation work for the past 5-6 months...

Would need a video..

but I can tell you that half squatting ain't going to help anything.

• 2 weeks later...

ok so I guess it's the right thread - ima start asap a "get more power" workout at the gym, I love running and I do a lot, but I need more power so I need to train outside my runs so what would you recommend? I don't want any more volume just more power in the volume I already have, consider that I am just starting weight things. 

It will come along this workout :

http://www.runnersworld.com/workouts/fast-abs?page=single

Edited by Mr.Sander

High intensity sprints vs long runs?

I don't run, but in cycling if you look at track cyclists/sprinters they have massive legs vs smaller lean legs of long distance riders/climbers. Similar to more resistance, smaller repetitions to build strength in lifting.

More long run than high intensity, even tho I would like to sometimes do few intense run, if it makes sense/it is possible.

High intensity sprints vs long runs?

I don't run, but in cycling if you look at track cyclists/sprinters they have massive legs vs smaller lean legs of long distance riders/climbers. Similar to more resistance, smaller repetitions to build strength in lifting.

Don't forget that sprinters do a lot more resistance and explosive work (weights, plyometrics, etc.) when they train than long distance runners, hence their big legs. When I have time to do cardio after my workout I do farmer's walks/rowing machine HIIT/plyo like box jumps or broad jumps. Sprints if it's warm enough outside. imo they're a lot more fun to do than turning my mind off to go for 20-30 mins on the treadmill or bike.

I think long runs are fine as long as you're not running like 10km+ everyday and it starts interfering with your recovery. Unless of course you want to end up running long distances, in which case you're in the wrong thread.

Cardio kills gains

(jk)

dedicated myself strictly to oly-lifting lately and really enjoying it. i've noticed lower back rounding/butt sag when i go down to the low snatch position, so i've been only doing hang cleans and hang snatches and my form on those. any suggestions on improving flexibility to remedy this rounding? i've been doing these lower body mobility exercises, so it might be more of a core issue.

dedicated myself strictly to oly-lifting lately and really enjoying it. i've noticed lower back rounding/butt sag when i go down to the low snatch position, so i've been only doing hang cleans and hang snatches and my form on those. any suggestions on improving flexibility to remedy this rounding? i've been doing these lower body mobility exercises, so it might be more of a core issue.

if by "low snatch position" you mean the catch position, i have the same problem when i take a break off oly lifts. it's probably a posture issue like mine.

when you do your post-workout stretching, see if you can build up to a full bridge. helps with core strength + flexibility in my experience

full-bridge-FINAL.jpg

i also do light front squats and overhead squats with a 5-10 second pause at the bottom, with an emphasis on form.

finally got over the hump, did 235 x 5 a2g squats awhile ago. i used a different approach from what i'm used to and it worked like a charm. picked up cues from Kirksman Teo in this video:

- i used a narrower stance than usual, shoulder width

- knees pointed forward a bit more than outward

- back angle more upright in the bottom position, i made the bar sit on my traps rather than behind it

- relaxed my body before the lift, just focused on tightening my core in the descent and pushing upwards with my quads compared to tightening up everywhere

it worked really well considering this is my first time doing it, i stopped falling forward even in my later sets. i'll see how it goes moving forward

Try activating your hams and glutes more. This helped me tremendously. I started doing statics also, holding at just above the lowest part of my squat for a few seconds and coming up slowly maintaining control. Did that with my working weight and moved up, eliminating the static hold and focusing on explosion, keeping arch and feet flat.

Wondering If anyone has had the same problem and can help me out

Started lifting weights 6 weeks ago and have been going good steadily increasing my weight but the past week every time I lift ( right at the start of my workout ) I get this throbbing headache and feel a little sick , I googled and found a few things about "weightlifters headache"

Has anyone had a similar problem and have any advise on how to tackle it ( don't know if it makes a difference but I had a cold a few days before the first headache )

maybe you are dehydrated. Gotta drink plenty of water, especially if you are using creatine.

terrible workout at the gym today. already knew it was going to be bad when i started stretching, my muscles were so tight even after. loaded two plates onto the squat rack and just buckled, settled for just 175 for a few light sets... then i did power cleans with the olympic bar and it slipped heavy when i was cradling onto my neck... burst a callus open on my hand and started bleeding everywhere. i called it a day after that.

WTF, you are supposed to stretch after you are done. For warm ups, just do light weight sets.

sorry if this has been asked before.. but i just started lifting a few months ago and my diors have become way too tight for comfort.

what pants do you guys wear? something cheap preferably, on a budget. and slim-ish.

Me too.

Just starting lifting bout 6 months ago, and my thighs can no longer fit on my dior jeans.

Get those uniqlo skinny fit jeans, they fit more or less (hem is smaller) like dior but with stretch, so it should be good in case you gain more in the coming months. Don't down size though, TTS is good enough. Its pretty cheap too, bout $50 a pair. I ended up getting a black and a grey ones.

• 2 weeks later...

anyone gone from flat sneakers to oly weightlifting shoes for a2g high bar squats? i just bought some wooden sole WL shoes, 1 inch elevated heel, yet to receive in the mail

i've been squatting in these nikes lately, and for the most part i don't have any problems reaching depth, but i find my heels sometimes come up by about 1cm during the concentric. my lower back is also sometimes prone to a hammering, but thats not to say that i good morning out the hole

what sort of progress did you guys make in the switch to WL shoes? and how immediate or gradual was it?

b2dJbkb.jpg

anyone gone from flat sneakers to oly weightlifting shoes for a2g high bar squats? i just bought some wooden sole WL shoes, 1 inch elevated heel, yet to receive in the mail

i've been squatting in these nikes lately, and for the most part i don't have any problems reaching depth, but i find my heels sometimes come up by about 1cm during the concentric. my lower back is also sometimes prone to a hammering, but thats not to say that i good morning out the hole

what sort of progress did you guys make in the switch to WL shoes? and how immediate or gradual was it?

I've been using Power Perfect 2's for a year now, for every lift (even DLs), coming from some Nike tennis shoes. I saw them going for $60 off an Adidas sale so why not. If the shoes you got are any good they'd be the best purchase you've made so far. It takes a session or two to fully get used to squatting with them, cause the shoes would be really stiff and you'll probably find yourself adjusting your form a bit because of the raised heel. But it'll make your feet really planted to the ground and you'll be a lot more confident that you'll keep your balance especially if you test your 1RM often.

You'll make good progress but I'd say it depends how advanced of a lifter you are already. My squat went up 5 lbs a week for at least 3 months until stalling when I first got them. Then again I'm still an intermediate.

ARdJEYQ.jpg

these are the shoes i got. $99+15 postage, best thing i can get in australia for the price (our only do-wins hookup is $160 total...). was a little hesitant, but i figured if its made for the australian weightlifting federation (awf), it should be pretty good. sorta fugly tho

i run a 5x5 novice program, 3x a week and squatting every day and adding 5lb every day until stalling (which happens to be semi-frequent)

still very much a novice and had major 'stalls' during the year (injuries to anterior hip and lower back) but i fixed up my form and am practically injury free atm. lower back injury was in october and my 5x5 atg squat is now at 110kg

my lower back can still sometimes get tight, and my outer ankles started to hurt the other day after squats, so i'm hoping these WL shoes can help out a bit

ARdJEYQ.jpg

these are the shoes i got. $99+15 postage, best thing i can get in australia for the price (our only do-wins hookup is $160 total...). was a little hesitant, but i figured if its made for the australian weightlifting federation (awf), it should be pretty good. sorta fugly tho

i run a 5x5 novice program, 3x a week and squatting every day and adding 5lb every day until stalling (which happens to be semi-frequent)

still very much a novice and had major 'stalls' during the year (injuries to anterior hip and lower back) but i fixed up my form and am practically injury free atm. lower back injury was in october and my 5x5 atg squat is now at 110kg

my lower back can still sometimes get tight, and my outer ankles started to hurt the other day after squats, so i'm hoping these WL shoes can help out a bit

Those look pretty sturdy, probably gonna be really stiff when you first use them. Dunno about your ankle pain but if your form is solid your lower back should get used to the volume after a while. My lower back only gets really sore nowadays from heavy deadlifts. Just make sure you're "sitting down" as opposed to "sitting back" like this illustration shows:

MobgL.jpg

You should feel it more on your quads as opposed to your back and glutes. I was actually doing Figure B for a while since I based my form off of Starting Strength, switched to A recently after some stretching and got over a stall.

• 2 weeks later...

^ 3 things:

- Keep shoulders more over bar in 1st pull

- You're extending too early

- Jerk must be more aggresive.

Keep arms relaxed, drive up with legs and lock elbows (don't press out) Example of an aggresive jerk around 0:27. See how powerfully he gets under the bar in the jerk, and how he brings his hips to meet the bar before finishing the 2nd pull.

Also an example of keeping shoulders over bar in 1st pull and controlling the speed. (4th pic where he completes the 1st pull. See how the shoulders are kept over the bar.)

Clean-Technique-Sequence.jpg

Edited by DJ_Flame

^ 3 things:

- Keep shoulders more over bar in 1st pull

- You're extending too early

- Jerk must be more aggresive.

Keep arms relaxed, drive up with legs and lock elbows (don't press out) Example of an aggresive jerk around 0:27. See how powerfully he gets under the bar in the jerk, and how he brings his hips to meet the bar before finishing the 2nd pull.

Also an example of keeping shoulders over bar in 1st pull and controlling the speed. (4th pic where he completes the 1st pull. See how the shoulders are kept over the bar.)

Clean-Technique-Sequence.jpg

Thanks. I hit my chin a few times warming up (that was my 3rd single at that weight) so I was a little hesitant to go really hard on the jerk

Edited by wrong_move

Yeah definitely keep your shoulders over the bar. Right now you're squatting the bar up as they say. That will only get you so far, as your hamstrings and glutes/quads are more powerful than your quads alone.

You likely can slow down your dip in the jerk. Right now it looks like you're trying to dip as fast as possible and rebound the jerk. Short dip, feel the stretch and explode to get under the bar. Fast jerks in novices lead to mistakes. Speed it up later. Lastly, work on your split distance. Keep your torso in the same spot, only move your feet (farther apart).

Edited by enlightened.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

About six weeks ago I starting having pain in my right shoulder. Especially during overhead press motions. I took it easy, lifted lighter, focused on cardio. Tuesday I jumped back into heaver weights as all pain had resided and my shoulder felt good. Now the pain is back. Should I take it easy again and just slowly ease back into heaver weights once my shoulder is feeling better? Or should I just go see a doctor? This injury shit sucks.