Shure headphones

the_state

Before anyone gets their Lanvin panties in a twist, I've done a search on this topic already and have found that the "headphones" thrad is pretty useless.

Does anyone here have experience with the bottom-line Shure earbuds? I'm mainly looking at the E2-C, the SE110, and the SE210. Amazon currently sells them for $62, $91, and $130, respectively. For the price, which would you guys recommend? The main factors I'm looking at are clarity, even distribution of levels (don't want something with too much bass, like v-moda's), sound isolation, and most importantly, comfortability/ease of use (ex: the Etymotics ER6i's were reco'd in the headphones thread, but many Amazon reviews mention that they get built up with ear wax and require frequent maintenance in order to keep wax from muffling the sound - fucking gross).

I told myself I wouldn't spend over $100, but if the SE210's are a tremendous cut above the other models in wearability and sound, i'd be willing to splurge the extra few dollars.

Any help, input, or recommendations of similar headphones would be awesome. Thanks.

I have the E2Cs and Im pretty happy with them, they arent exactly the best there are but theyre good for the money. Sound wise theyre quite good, perhaps a little bass heavy though, the only real problem I have with them is that they are quite fussy with regards to in-ear position, what I mean is that unless they are sitting in your ear just right, they wont sound as good as they should. You do get a whole bunch of different ear pieces to try out in order to get the best fit, but you can still end up faffing for ages trying to get them to sit properly.

While I do reccomend the E2Cs, if youve got the money Id say go for one of the more expensive models that are within your budget.

i've been using e2cs for a couple of years now and they're great for the price.. ive also used the etymotics er61s but dont like it cos the cables are so fucking thin/flimsy even tho the output is better.

the e2cs are pretty bassy and the sound isolation is not bad if you can fit the earbuds right. clarity-wise dont expect a lot for cheap earphones-- but the sound is def not shitty. the black rubber earbuds are really comfy but the silicon ones hurt like hell. the disposable ones are the best but arent cheap if you are changing them everyday. i think the se110 was the replacement for the e2c when they were released.

also yea! was selling a pair for $60 a while ago

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?t=52328

regarding ear wax, i used to use the wax guards but shure really rapes you for replacement parts--$10 for each tiny plastic sticker wtf.. anyway ive stopped using them completely and there isnt much of a wax problem.. jus clean ur ears once in a while and it'll be ok.. if you're cheap like me email shure customer service and tell them you bought the earphones before the soft black rubber buds and nicely ask them for a sample.. the pack they send u will have wax guards too

i have 2 shure headphones : e2cs and se530.

I think the e2cs have no basses at all... this is why I'm suprised that everybody think that they have some... also the are big and ugly.

The se530 are good, but you need a high quality mp3 player (samsung, iaudio, iriver...) and not a shitty one such as ipod, zune or archos (trust me i now what i talking about.)

also buy them on ebay!

much cheaper!

http://cgi.ebay.fr/SHURE-SE210-BLACK-SE210-SE-210K-EARPHONES-BRAND-NEW_W0QQitemZ220240908590QQihZ012QQcategoryZ3274QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

look at that just 99.99$ exactly what you are looking for.

I have the E2C's, and while I think they are decent, I wouldn't recommend them. I have been thru 2 pairs because the plastic that covers the wiring by the earpieces wears out and cracks where they bend to fit around your ears, exposing the wire and making it incredibly easy to accidentally rip the buds off completely. Both pairs I've had hace done this within 6 months, and if you do some research on the internet you'll find a lot of others with the same experience. I'm looking at Etymotics ER-6 for my next pair (very soon) unless someone has another recommendation.

I have experience with a few different sets of headphones including the etymotic er-4p, the new se210 and the old e2c. I myself own the er-4p and my buddies own the se210 and the e2c.

Let's start off at the lower end. The e2c is unimpressive compared to both the se210 and the er-4p. Althoughm it isolates fairly well, tt sounds muffled, has no high end and is IMO a pretty boring headphone. You may like it, but there are definitely better earbuds worth checking out.

As for the se210, it is steps above the e2c. The bass has impact and the highs are very nice. The se210's are a very fun pair of earbuds. If you're apprehensive about dropping close to $130 on a pair of earbuds just keep in mind you could be spending a whole lot more than $130 for a new pair of higher end earbuds. http://www.headphone.com/products/headphones/in-ear-monitor/shure-se530.php

Which brings me to the er-4p's which I own. These phones are very different from the se210's. Their sound lacks a little weight but that is forgivable since their highs are jaw dropping amazing. Etymotic did something amazing with these phones because everytime I put these on I can't take them off. A bit pricier at around $180 if I remember correctly but they were well worth it and are still holding up after a long year of use.

Invest in a headphone amp, inexpensive ones can be had for around $50 and will give your cans a fuller sound. Sorry if this sounds like a whole bunch of audiophile propoganda but it's true, a headphone amp will make your cans sound much better. If you can't tell the difference either you are deaf, dont listen to music closely enough or you should just stick to your ipod earbuds.

If you're going to cheap out and don't mind buying a used pair of earbuds check out the "superfuture of headphones": head-fi.org. There's a for sale forum where people sell their earbuds/earphones/headphone amplifiers etc etc for less than retail. They may be used and it seems gross but just throw on a new pair of tips and you'll be fine.

Happy listening.

I have the E2C's, and while I think they are decent, I wouldn't recommend them. I have been thru 2 pairs because the plastic that covers the wiring by the earpieces wears out and cracks where they bend to fit around your ears, exposing the wire and making it incredibly easy to accidentally rip the buds off completely. Both pairs I've had hace done this within 6 months, and if you do some research on the internet you'll find a lot of others with the same experience. I'm looking at Etymotics ER-6 for my next pair (very soon) unless someone has another recommendation.

i'd research them a bit if i were you. i read some terrible things on amazon.com (check most effective negative reviews) about those headphones requiring heavy maintenance/upkeep.

I have experience with a few different sets of headphones including the etymotic er-4p, the new se210 and the old e2c. I myself own the er-4p and my buddies own the se210 and the e2c.

Let's start off at the lower end. The e2c is unimpressive compared to both the se210 and the er-4p. Althoughm it isolates fairly well, tt sounds muffled, has no high end and is IMO a pretty boring headphone. You may like it, but there are definitely better earbuds worth checking out.

As for the se210, it is steps above the e2c. The bass has impact and the highs are very nice. The se210's are a very fun pair of earbuds. If you're apprehensive about dropping close to $130 on a pair of earbuds just keep in mind you could be spending a whole lot more than $130 for a new pair of higher end earbuds. http://www.headphone.com/products/headphones/in-ear-monitor/shure-se530.php

Which brings me to the er-4p's which I own. These phones are very different from the se210's. Their sound lacks a little weight but that is forgivable since their highs are jaw dropping amazing. Etymotic did something amazing with these phones because everytime I put these on I can't take them off. A bit pricier at around $180 if I remember correctly but they were well worth it and are still holding up after a long year of use.

Invest in a headphone amp, inexpensive ones can be had for around $50 and will give your cans a fuller sound. Sorry if this sounds like a whole bunch of audiophile propoganda but it's true, a headphone amp will make your cans sound much better. If you can't tell the difference either you are deaf, dont listen to music closely enough or you should just stick to your ipod earbuds.

If you're going to cheap out and don't mind buying a used pair of earbuds check out the "superfuture of headphones": head-fi.org. There's a for sale forum where people sell their earbuds/earphones/headphone amplifiers etc etc for less than retail. They may be used and it seems gross but just throw on a new pair of tips and you'll be fine.

Happy listening.

I can't fucks with no used earbuds, and $180 is definitely too much for my budget, but the 210's sound like they'll be perfect for my needs (FunkyFrenchy just brought to my attention that you can easily get a pair on ebay for $100 + shipping). Great first post, btw.

Thanks for the help everyone! I can't wait to listen to my copied Lil Wayne mixtapes!!! (10)

Okay guys I have the Shure se110s which I like. They have really really good seperation of instruments and clarity. They are a little muddy in the bass but I really have no true complaints about them. I got them at Best Buy and am still within the 30 day return policy. Should I upgrade to the se210s? Are they significantly better?

I can't fucks with no used earbuds, and $180 is definitely too much for my budget, but the 210's sound like they'll be perfect for my needs (FunkyFrenchy just brought to my attention that you can easily get a pair on ebay for $100 + shipping). Great first post, btw.

Thanks! And you'll love the 210's, especially for $100 brand new they're a steal.

get ultimate ears 5's not the extended base. I had them and they were awesome had two drivers. But for the best overall sound I like the shure e4

I had these as well and I remember liking the 210's a little better but the super.fi 5's are still a great earbud.

Cheers!

im not meaning to derail this thread, but after lots of searching, i havent been able to find a nice set of earbuds that fit my ears. i guess my ol' hearholes are too big.

long story short: buds always fall out.

so, anyone have any good recs?

Definitely go to headfi. Sorry about your wallet.

Man, that's how you can tell I don't go on head-fi anymore. I forgot the obligatory "sorry about your wallet" that comes with all headphone rec's to newbies.

Great to see there are head-fiers here at sufu!

I used my e2-c's for just over 2 weeks with regular cleaning when one of the earbuds slipped out and was stuck in my ear canal ... wasn't a pleasant experience and now put off with the whole thought of putting another bud that sits inside the ear every since...

I also have a pair of e2cs and I can confirm that the plastic around the wires cracked well under a year after purchasing them. However I think the sound is quite good, and I didn't have many problems fitting them for my ears, although it did involve testing out a few different earbuds. I also got mine for $99.99 (could've sworn that was retail) so I think for $60 they're a pretty good bargain. I recently bought a pair of Bose in-ear headphones and I vastly prefer my Shures. The Bose are really bass-heavy (don't understand that complaint about the Shures, honestly) and didn't isolate sound nearly well enough.

I have the shure se110s and I really like them. A very flat mix, so it leaves a lot to the EQ, but with amazing clarity. Even though I didn't buy here (you can though) I went to http://www.earphonesolutions.com/ to see what the reviews there said about different earphones. For ~$100 you can get the Universal Ears super.fi.3, the Westone UM1 (good for people with small ears) and of course the Shure SE110s. I went with the Shures because they are very little difference in quality for price between different brands at this level. I was able to pick them at Futureshop (Canadian Best-Buy equivalent) at some $20 off sale and without paying the shipping that there would have been for an online order.