Preppy Staples

broneck

Searched around and didn't find a thread like this yet so here goes.

Just searching around for some different brands, and figured I'd look for some discussion here.

Obviously the first things coming to mind with regards to old school Ivy league prep stuff is Polo by Ralph Lauren, Sperry, J. Crew, and Brooks Brothers.

Wondering if there are any other solid staple brands out there that would fall into this category but are a little lesser known.

Obedient Sons does preppy fucking amazingly. couple pieces i can not wait to pick up for cape wear this summer. rag&bone killed it though on the preppy front, with their two button seersucker suit it is insane how good it is.

Obedient Sons is good. As far as other labels doing preppy inspired stuff like the labels mentioned above:

Shipley and Halmos

3.1 Phillip Lim

Our Legacy

Tim Hamilton

YMC

Acne

Rag&Bone

Hickey and hickeystyle are the closest to what you're talking about as far as a ralph lauren like brand.

Definitely J.Press for old school Ivy League.

Bass Weejuns and LL Bean mocs are classic preppy, although none of these brands are really lesser known. Lands End provides cheap shirts.

Barbour has really nice jackets/coats, some of it could be preppy. Bills Khakis and Save Khakis are classic pants, the first one more so. Either way, high end trousers.

That's all I can think of, I'm not very preppy.

the andover shop is part of the trad holy trinity, i think

they have a website, and you can also find lots of info on styleforum's men's clothing section and ask andy about clothes

i wouldn't recommend disturbing the cranks and geezers who post there, though

I've heard good things about Mason's pants as well for a slim fit. Recently at styleforum there was an Incotex explosion with lots of their pants on sale. Some of the models have a slim fit with a 10-10.5" rise and a 7.75-8" hem on a size 32.

Guest hossoso
not as much, would like to avoid giant fur hoodies and argyle...this being said, I am really REALLY curious as to where one finds the coloured burberry trenches.

Colored trenches are under Bailey. They would be done by the Prorsum line.

...I think.

Guest hossoso
whats the fit/sizing on j press like?

It is a boxy, sack fit. Very trad. The first president Bush wore them almost exclusively. One time a reporter called him a Brooks Brothers Republican and he opened his jacket to show the J.Press label. The items drape. This seems perverted but the closest thing I can compare it to in the way it wears is YY, unless you are familiar with other trad brands.

For the guy that needed info on save khakis -pretty comfortable. it's in google, just do "save khaki". Barney's sells it in some places, and while it's not skinny, almost all of it is a slimmer fit on trousers.

they're the only actual pants I wear outside of suits.

Sebagos are pretty solid. Pretty much same as sperry but you can get some different colorways and stuff. I know some who prefer them to sperrys. I'd cut the tag off though.

Vineyard vines is pretty much trash IMO, it's the christian audigier of the prep set. Not that I don't own a couple ties...

If you're in chicago, Paul Stuart is moving or something and everything is on supersale.

On a declining scale of flashiness, I think it goes something like Lily / Vineyard Vines / Ben Silver / Paul Stuart / Brooks / J Press / Andover shop.

If you think J Press smells like corpses, go to the Andover shop. Jesus christ.