Thai Indie

azalea

Hello there~

I've heard of Modern Dog from a guidebook, but I was wondering if anyone had the heads-up about other artists in Thailand.

(Also, I will be studying at Chulalongkorn U for part of the summer so message me if you wanna hang.)

Interesting to see a thread started about Thai "indie" music. Most of the so-called "indie" music here still seem like derivatives of generic Thai pop, to me. But, some locals swear by a few "indie" labels and artists that they faithfully hold on to.

For the most part, Thai pop music is produced through two main labels: GMM Grammy and RS. Like most pop music in Asia, music produced through these labels are mostly influenced by Japanese, Korean and Chinese pop. Lots of upbeat catchy pop tunes or the melancholy love ballad. Various artists are heavily marketed and promoted through their two labels and are mostly characterized by cute, dolled-up girls or boy-bands with crazy hair that try to emulate the success of the Korean artist, Rain.

Because of the heavily commercialization and perceived superficiality of artists and music emerging from the GMM Grammy and RS camps, independent artists such Boyd Kosiyabong decided to start their own label that promoted more personalized song-writing and performances. Boyd started his label, Bakery Music, which featured artists such as PRU, ModernDog and Ben Chalatit. While music on Bakery doesn't really sound that "indie" to me or "alternative" to Thai pop, much of the respect given to Boyd and his label comes from the roots of the label and its singular focus on music/artist, rather than the pop image. Other Bakery artists include Groov Rider, Rudklao and Crescendo.

Another label is the Black Sheep compilation series which often features music produced by independent bands made of Thai kids in the US and UK. Yai Monotone and Vacation (Seattle) are featured a lot.

This is my very rough synopsis of the local Thai music scene as told to me by my wife. Honestly, my very minor preference falls on bands like Potato and Peacemaker, based strictly on their catchy acoustic music and the fact that I've seen them perform live at a few clubs. Of course, they don't garner a lot of respect, based on my wife's preferences for Bakery music. But hey, it sounds pretty good to me....

oh hey, thanks for responding.

I just learned about Thai music from a friend here- how they admire Jpop, etc. so much they mangle the language to make it sound Japanese. I'm gonna check those groups out!

I first heard of thai indie pop/electronic music about 5 years ago from Other Music website update. You may want to check out the music label below :

http://www.hualampongriddim.com/wboard.html

some old reviews I dug up from other music site: "03

We're excited to introduce a series from the Hualampong-riddim label, a record company based in Bangkok, Thailand, featuring a small but diverse range of music from Thai artists. Made up of three volumes, "Simple Mornings", "Sweet Afternoons" and "Extraordinary Evenings," the compilations provide a rewarding listen to Southeast Asia's interpretations of Western pop, quite often produced with the similar creative zest which can be heard in the music of Japanese acts like Cubsimo Graphico or Neil and Iraiza.

The dynamic of each installation reflects the mood of the day, "Simple Mornings" kicking the series off with a quiet variety of tracks. We're introduced to bands like the electro-lounge duo Photo Sticker Machine, the Bowie meets early-Radiohead sounds of Day Tripper as well as Skalaxy, which features label co-founder Narkarin on the guitar.

"Sweet Afternoons" picks up the pace with bossa-lounge driven dance cuts taken from the "Hualampong Remix" album as well as more rocking numbers from the artists featured on "Simple Mornings." Like a lot of the acts on Tokyo's Escalator roster, many of the tracks blend acoustic jazz guitars over light electronics and whimsical pop melodies. Skalaxy, who are reputed to be Thailand's first ska-rock band, turn out some of the most interesting songs on this volume, mixing traditional Eastern melodies over horns and hints of Jamaican influence.

"Extraordinary Evenings" is the most playful of the three volumes -- Photo Sticker Machine contribute two cuts, both songs blending Swedish pop and electronic-lounge reminiscent of Fantastic Plastic Machine and even Dimitri From Paris. The compilation includes a few tracks of Day Tripper's catchy British influenced rock as well as some Thai disco cuts also culled from the label's remix album.

Fans of J-Pop and Shibuya-Kei will love the sugary melodies and fresh take on pop music that the Hualampong-riddim's series offers here. We hope to carry full-lengths from several of the musicians featured in the series in the future, so keep an eye out for these up-and-coming Thai artists. [GH]

• 2 months later...