JEANiuses come in!!! Help = v.Alterations

bathe my ape

I have a few Jeans that are just too long for me. Waist size is perfect yet the length is way too long. I'm used to wearing 34x30 but some of my jeans such as: Evisu, R&R, Diesel(Kratt), Levis 501xx, etc are lengths way too long

Anybody have experience or knowledge altering the lengths making them shorter? Where can I find this service for a cheap price? How short do I have them cut them? blah blah blha

HELP ME! I don't want to ruin my nice selvedge jeans =)

thanks for the quick reply. Sorry for the vagueness...

Of course I want a tailor to do the alterations...I do not trust myself nor do I have the skills. I don't wanna risk ruining my expen$ive jeans icon_smile_shy.gif

I just moved to Los Angeles area...Anybody know how much the service usually costs on average? Any advice and tips? Is it worth doing it??

I'm a noob and dont have much knowledge on these jeans, so bare with me. Grassy-ass

1. bring it to a tailor who has done plenty of denim work before

2. ask the shop where you purchased your jeans if they recommend or have an in-house tailor

3. if 1 and 2 aren't available, find a competent tailor and be very explicit in how you want your jeans hemmed.

in terms of length, make sure you accommodate for shrinkage if you haven't washed your raw jeans before. this amount depends on whether the jeans are sanforized, and various washing temperature settings. normally allow 1.5-2" to be on the safe side for non-sanforized raw denim. you can wear your denim a bit longer than dress trousers, but this depends on taste.

"God is Dead" - Nietzsche icon_smile_angry.gif

"Nietzsche is Dead" - God icon_smile_cool.gif

Thanks Whynotmakeboth...I'll try to check it out. Do you have any idea what the average cost is to alter a pair of jeans? Anybody?

Found this article on the "denim doctor". http://www.julib.com/denimdoctor.html

"receive 15 percent off anything by mentioning juli b" =)

HOWEVER....theres an overwhelmingly amount of BAD reviews complaining about the horrible parking, Rude and stuck up staff, etc, plus its expensive =/

Any other suggestions? I don't want to go to a spot where celebs go

Edited by bathe my ape on Oct 4, 2005 at 02:40 PM

Quote:

never been to this place but have heard many good things:

the denim doctor

8044 west 3rd street

los angeles, ca 90028

323-852-0171

--- Original message by whynotmakeboth on Oct 4, 2005 02:19 PM

When I actually lived in LA, this is the only place I would trust with high end denim. And these guys know denim.

I took some PDC to a normal tailor and wasn't too impressed with the results. I forget how much it costed, probably around $12-15. I know the Nordstroms nearest me (South Bay Galleria) offered to tailor a pair when I was bying them there. I forget the price. I guess if you go to a place that large, you can give them hell if you aren't happy with the work. Though, I'm not sure if they'd do work on jeans that weren't purchased there.

Quote:

the denim doctor

8044 west 3rd street

los angeles, ca 90028

323-852-0171

--- Original message by whynotmakeboth on Oct 4, 2005 02:19 PM

Denim Doctors is a rad place to get Denim alterations. The old Russian tailer who works there is really Nice guy, so is this other dude. But the girl- her name is Abby and she is a retarted bitch. She is cocky, not that hot, rude and dumb as nails. The major drawback for this place, is being that it's the only tailer to do clean jobs and specialize in selvege alterations, the waiting line to get your shit done is pretty fucking long (5 Weeks.) I guess their finished work justifies this, but they need to fire that bitch- She can't even give directions from couple blocks away, or even to which freeway you take to get there. Almost every question I ask her, the answer I got was: "Idno, or how should I know?! sounding all snobby n shit. When I asked how to get there from Fairfax and Wilshire, her reply was: "How should I know.." cunt.

Hmmm interesting....

I don't know if I can handle a snobby bitch and part with my jeans for over 5 weeks icon_smile_blush.gif

Does anybody else have other suggestions of places to check out around the Los Angeles area that does great alterations on nice, expensive (selvedge) jeans???

Don't hesitate to POST PICS of jeans you had altered so I can get an idea as to how the end result will look like

• 1 year later...

the denim doctor

8044 west 3rd street

los angeles, ca 90028

323-852-0171

Greetings,

May I kindly ask you to note our new address and telephone number?

The Denim Doctors

7383 Beverly Blvd (@ Martel)

Los Angeles, CA 90036

323-964-0080

Thank you so much!!

I have a few Jeans that are just too long for me. Waist size is perfect yet the length is way too long. I'm used to wearing 34x30 but some of my jeans such as: Evisu, R&R, Diesel(Kratt), Levis 501xx, etc are lengths way too long

Anybody have experience or knowledge altering the lengths making them shorter? Where can I find this service for a cheap price? How short do I have them cut them? blah blah blha

HELP ME! I don't want to ruin my nice selvedge jeans =)

Good News!! at the Denim Doctors, we can rehem your jeans to perfection with our chain hemming machines (just like the factories use) :)

Our Contact info:

The Denim Doctors

7383 Beverly Blvd (@ Martel)

Los Angeles, CA 90036

323-964-0080

There is another thread under hemming that someone is offering this service.I am going to give it a try.I usually go to Denim Revival on third and always pleased but it's another alternative.The doctors on Beverly botched my hem when soliciting free hems about 4 or 5 months ago not to mentoin tapered my alchemist and ruined the selvedge on the seam and have never gone back since.