superautos?

the_state

US gas prices are too high for me to consider keeping my jeep (a v8, nonetheless). i was hoping to gather the collective wisdom of sufu to recommend a car.

i'm looking for something in the $10K range, give or take a few K. was thinking of checking out used golfs, civics, and accords.

which of these cars hold up better over time? given my budget, are there any other practical cars you could recommend? thanks.

you can buy a decent car for $10K. if you're looking to save money, why not just spend $3K?

i would say a manual Civic HX or whatever. Honda reliability with ~40MPG. i bet if you drove it conservatively you could get ~46.

if it were me, i'd purchase a manual Ford Festiva LX. designed by mazda, built by kia, sold by ford. i'm sure you can scoop up a decent one for ~$1000. heck i bought one that runs fine, just needs a new catalytic converter and a tune-up for $250.

it cost me $65 to fill up my 2004 golf.

you can buy a decent car for $10K. if you're looking to save money, why not just spend $3K?

i would say a manual Civic HX or whatever. Honda reliability with ~40MPG. i bet if you drove it conservatively you could get ~46.

if it were me, i'd purchase a manual Ford Festiva LX. designed by mazda, built by kia, sold by ford. i'm sure you can scoop up a decent one for ~$1000. heck i bought one that runs fine, just needs a new catalytic converter and a tune-up for $250.

it cost me $65 to fill up my 2004 golf.

don't drive manual, too hectic for brooklyn parking.

i'm willing to spend more for something that'll hold up. i don't want a car that'll need to visit the shop every 6 months.

are you happy w/ the golf?

from my experience, used japanese family cars run great and are great on gas. had a '92 toyota camry that ran fine 'til my brother crashed it. and my dad had an '88 honda accord that didn't die; but we gave it away last year because we didn't want to bother finally changing the transmission (19 years?) and the body was rusted to shit

so yeah, agree with the general consensus: get a used honda. if you're single and just need to get from work and such, get the smallest one you can lol

that is so cheap!

In France : 130$

Wow, thats twice as much. How often do you have to fill up?

the state: i'm very happy with the golf. i've had it for 3.5 years and the only "problem" i've had was an O2 sensor that went out that was replaced under warranty. my battery also died prematurely. VWs being know as unreliable is probably due to improper/non-routine maintenance that should be performed. you can treat a honda like shit and it'll run forever.

but yeah, with older cars automatic transmissions can be costly to fix/replace. people recommend manual for the reliability factor, usually better gas mileage, and easier/cheaper to fix if things do go wrong.

we americans dont realize how good we have gas prices, despite all our complaining. what sucks is how big some places are and how crucial gas is though.

No, you don't understand. We simply dont care. I also don't care about the price of rice in China when I buy my box of Uncle Bens. Its not Americas fault Europe and Asia taxes the hell out of their citizens. We've chosen not to live that way (not that theres anything wrong with that).

We do care about oil companies claiming production shortages while still pulling record profits every single quarter. Thats why we are so pissy about gas prices.

PS: Get a cheap Honda to drive in inclement weather, and a (motor)bike for clear days. If you're in Brooklyn why is it even an issue? Use public transportation.

i'd go honda too, a small hatchback or something. I drove my sister's 98 this summer and averaged around 40, it's an auto so i could have gotten better if it was manual but 40's still decent, plus they're short for city parking and still have storage. I think we bought that car for like $7000, and that was from a dealer, in showroom condition with 60k on it. that's way worth it, way below what you're looing to spend, and it's only got an 11 gallon tank so (as of right now) you're only looking at around $40 to fill it up, $77 if gas does go up to $7 in 4 years...but that's about 400-450 miles, so it's still not too too bad.

I'd suggest a 4-cylinder honda/toyota too. or almost any other 4-cylinder car... but be wary, not all 4-cylinders will net you great gas mileage.. some even worse than 6 or 8 cylinders (example: my 4 cylinder car gets under 20 mpg usually). when you choose a car, don't forget to do a little research online about the gas mileage and such.

• 3 months later...
No, you don't understand. We simply dont care. I also don't care about the price of rice in China when I buy my box of Uncle Bens. Its not Americas fault Europe and Asia taxes the hell out of their citizens. We've chosen not to live that way (not that theres anything wrong with that).

We do care about oil companies claiming production shortages while still pulling record profits every single quarter. Thats why we are so pissy about gas prices.

PS: Get a cheap Honda to drive in inclement weather, and a (motor)bike for clear days. If you're in Brooklyn why is it even an issue? Use public transportation.

[offtopic]

sure, europe taxes gas a lot more. not that thats an ultimatively good thing, but due to the higher prices we are also using it alot more efficiently.

the recent dramatic increase in oil prices is simply due to demand and supply, not any oil companies. also the increases in food prices are not at all related with taxation.

[/offtopic]