Stocks, who here invests?

masuerte

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RIMM was the same today. It hurts but should shoot back up.

I agree. I've been loading up on RIMM for a while. YHOO has been floating around 27ish for the past week. Hopefully we'll get more momentum on the merger. AAPL is shorted, so all good. Only thing I fucked up on is financials, but I believe MS is still a great buy now. Supposedly Lehman is being heavily shorted (again) due to their aggressive OTR security valuations. Plus, there is a report on WSJ about how they uncorrectly hedged their mortgage products with a CDO index that didn't properly correlate with the underlying CDOs, so they lost big....

Layoffs Watch '08: JPMorgan

Okay so we're just going to put this out there with the disclaimer that it sounds ca-ray-ssay but it's come from several horses' mouths so perhaps there's some truth to the rumor. I certainly hope not, as I highly doubt our sandwich welfare program could feed this many pieholes. Believe it, don't, whatever, it's a three-day weekend. Supposedly Bearpont Morgan Stearns has cut 50 percent of first year analysts and 50 percent of IBD entirely. Severance is 2.5 months salary plus full bonus given out in July.

HOLY SHIT.

I fucking hate this market.

FUCK U OIL.

While this news is bad, it sounds freakin worse then it is....a stock with the nature of jp morgan is a holder, and after the sub-prime debacle and especially after this, letting the price tank a little and then picking it up at a discount could make you a shitload of money in 10 years...actually, if you're sitting on money you wont need for 10 years or so and are looking to start saving up long term, this is (given another week or two for the price to further plummet) one of the best buys i can see in the market today. Even if you already own morgan shares, the dividend cut is enough to justify waiting it out, provided you have a good amount of money plunged into morgan stocks as it is...and as always, gold and oil baby :)

http://www.cnbc.com/id/24786954

Man, I'm getting kinda depressed....

But to the poster above, I really don't give a fuck about JP stock. I work at a rival and I'm worrying my fucking job. So, it ain't all about the upside but the short but real downside of getting laid off.

another great day for http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=ESLR

on the dip this morning I loaded more, this thing is going to rocket to the mooooooooooon

just received new contracts worth 1 BILLION dollars, only filling 1/3 of its capacity... that means plenty of room for more big contracts

this solar is going up, and fast...

buy now before it is too late

another great day for http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=ESLR

on the dip this morning I loaded more, this thing is going to rocket to the mooooooooooon

just received new contracts worth 1 BILLION dollars, only filling 1/3 of its capacity... that means plenty of room for more big contracts

this solar is going up, and fast...

buy now before it is too late

Im on your train. We should go out for some champaign when this thing launches ;)

Hmmmm this shit looks tasty, i think i'll put in a little, see what happens.....but thanks to the predictability of the average american idiot and his speculating ways, theres a simple way to get rich today.....buy up commodities, and sell futures contracts...been doing it with gold and am about to get into sugar, it seems like it has a huge capacity for growth

MER downgraded ESLR today,

obviously because they are short or want a cheaper entry point

the big boys are so manipulative, it is such a pain in the ass

anyway, MER will buy ESLR, then it'll head back up...

CITI did the same exact thing a few weeks ago

downgraded ESLR

it lowered down its price

they loaded up 400K+ shares

djrajio is this really the way you traders act

it is dirtY

djrajio is this really the way you traders act

it is dirtY

YES. I'm sure it's not all traders but firms and hedge funds with a lot of BP will push markets in their favor if they are able. I think Cramer stated in some article that back in the day he'd use a couple of mil and push stocks around pre-market when liquidity is low to get his options in the money.

What I really hate is rampant rumor mongering. Jackasses will spread ridiculous shit like Mittal is buying US Steel or Chinese firms want to buy BSC when the stock is collapsing to create panic short squeezes or to unload shares at a higher price. I remember losing money short Bidu when their CFO died in a car accident and someone falsely stated that it was an intentional work-related suicide.

On another note price of crude is in a $6 range today wtffffff. Shit is not supposed to swing around like this.

why the fuck do people think cramer is god? dude is terrible at picks

Ppl are just into Cramer because of his visibility. He's entertaining and talks a good yarn on TV so he gets good ratings. I think his effect is generally positive just in the fact that he gets people interested in stocks and investing.

Kinda like Emeril. Not the best chef by a long shot but he gets ppl interested in cooking.

On another note price of crude is in a $6 range today wtffffff. Shit is not supposed to swing around like this.

You never saw vol-swings like this a few years ago. This is why commodity/energy-linked companies especially alt-energy is so vol. now. +/- 5-8% everyday.

Just my luck that the market thinks financials and big-oil is down. WTF?

looks like APPL is starting to sprint as the 9th gets closer!

good day for wall street in general today.

Yeah, I have owned apple for 5+ years now and keep adding to my position. If Steve Jobs pulls through @ the WWDC on Monday, I wouldn't be surprised if AAPL reaches 250 by Christmas.

Also, I have been in VISA since 72.XX and am waiting for the 90 break.

I trade options very regularly ... anyone else play options here ?

Can anybody here school me on capital gains? For example, if I own a bunch of 1 stock that I purchased at different times throughout a 5-year period and I decide to sell 25% of it, how are my taxes determined? Will it be assumed that I've sold the stock that I bought first?

Thanks in advance.

Can anybody here school me on capital gains? For example, if I own a bunch of 1 stock that I purchased at different times throughout a 5-year period and I decide to sell 25% of it, how are my taxes determined? Will it be assumed that I've sold the stock that I bought first?

Thanks in advance.

pretty sure you can do it a few ways

cost average (various)...so average out the price of what you bought all the stock for..use that price as your cost basis and subtract from your profit or loss...dont forget to include commission you paid.......

this is more for inventory but still can work for stock sales....

FIFO- first in first out...use the price of the earliest stocks u bought and determine profit or loss from that

LIFO- last in first out....same as above except you use latest price of stock you bought.......

IRS is just interested in total you made or lost...not too worried aobut per share prices....