levis and lee experts?

haptronic

• 4 weeks later...

It looks to me that everything you've posted is made in the late 70's, early 80's. Having sold tons of vintage over the years I can tell you that nothing there is super valuable. I would think that, at retail, the most valuable piece might be the Lee barn jacket. I wouldn't pay more than $40-$50 for it though.

Conceived and executed on the working waterfront of Portland, Maine. [email protected]

No....but the orange tag Big E is after 1971. To have any significant value the "Big E" tag has to be red. Now if you find a red "Big E" tag that is one sided.....you've really got something. Just remember...big E doensn't mean much if it isn't red and you'll never get taken. Also, just as an aside, if you find a red tag "Big E" make sure you check the back of the top button at the waist. Reproductions are usually stamped with the number 555.

Conceived and executed on the working waterfront of Portland, Maine. [email protected]

thanks jay & tangerine

another question the jacket has a big e red tab, but the inside leather patch has 501 on it. this seemed weird to me i didn't think there was a 501 jacket. I though maybe someone had tried to "add value",.

btw i thought your rising sun t-shirt was off the planet. congrat on the NDG deal.

teisco.gif

I beg to differ on orange big E not being worth much. If the orange big E is a 684, or 646 with a good fade they are definately worth some dough. The ones you have have a typical post ~72 indigo that washes out to baby blue and doesn't give that beautiful contrast of the earlier jeans. here is a pic of a pair of ~1970 Big E 646 I have.

1126350598922_646E.JPG

Carpe Denim! (not the jean brand silly!)

1123865699585_selvage_edited.JPG

I guess it depends on what you consider significant value. A pair of crisp 646 or 684 (elephant bells), with an orange Big E might be worth $100 on the vintage market. I know that for years you could pick up a pair at the Rose Bowl for a fraction of that. My perspective has been from the supply side, as opposed to the retail side, so Serge d Nimes may know more than I do about the current retail price point for these jeans. Just be aware the orange tag Big E's are never the jeans you read about selling for serious money.

I didn't notice that the first jacket was a Big E. It may just be the photo but it looked very faded, or light blue. Generally a jacket that faded would be worth very little (less than $50). That said, if you like any of these pieces, and the price being asked isn't crazy....you should buy them.

I am 100% certain that first levi's jacket is a fake. The inner tag is the wrong color and says that it is lot 501. All big E jackets I have seen have black eyelet stitching too and these have gold. Also it looks to have two rows of stitching at the top of the waistband which is incorrect. The pockets in the the pic of the Big E tag show that the pocket flap is stitched with a single needle, it should be stitched with a twin needle. The Big E tab should be a richer and darker red with bigger typing. Other than that, the indigo just doesn't look right. I think it is an 80's-90's knock off.

Carpe Denim! (not the jean brand silly!)

1123865699585_selvage_edited.JPG

serge

t

Thanks heaps i thought it may be a fake something seemed fishy about it, from the little i know.

I thought the orange tab shirt was quite nice, and with the lee, i love belguim design so some denim made there seemed cool. the flares are just bad.

teisco.gif