Lookbook.nu spam?

sbw4224

Who got this and why were our accounts spammed? I signed up to see what it was and it looks like a website with lots of cute girls posting their fits for very TFS-like/positive comments. Some of these chicks are hot, but it's pretty lame to get spam in my PM box.

I'm guessing it will take about 2 weeks before a lot of Sufu'ers start cross-posting because of all the girls they think* they'll be able to hook up with.

And because this thread is useless without pics, here is probably the better looking of the bunch and one of the few non-asian girls:

Dec07GreenRoom.jpg

oh yeh I totally forgot about that PM.

the homepage has some elements that make me shiver in the wrong sense:

- illustrator traced guy with glasses

- words "social", "fashion", "style"

hi everyone. this is Yuri and i'm one of the people making LOOKBOOK.nu. since i'm the one who sent the "spam" that some of you boys are fussing about, i thought i should take a minute to explain what LOOKBOOK is and what it isn't.

my friends and i made a simple site inspired by the WAYWT threads that you are probably all familiar with. the goal is to provide a way for people who like fashion and appreciate style to post what they're wearing and get feedback on it, as well as see how other people put together their outfits. now this sounds a lot like WAYWT, but we wanted to make an actual community (yes i know that sounds a little lame) that's more organized and easier to browse. if you've heard of digg, we have a similar voting system that lets the users "hype" up looks they like to get them on the front page. we think it works pretty well.

now, to the guys who are hating on my website:

if you got "spam" from me, it's not because i get a kick out PMing random people, it's because you post on WAYWT and i thought you might be interested in what we're making. if you thought our idea is so "lame", why would you actually join it just so you can come here to whine about it? get a life.

yes, we have some cute girls, yes we have some sufu guys, and yes, gasp, people actually compliment each other. the site has only been up less than a week, but we have people posting from all over the world, from helsinki to canada and australia and honduras and hong kong. our users comprise a diverse and eclectic group of people who care about their style and are open-minded enough to appreciate what we're trying to do.

if you aren't, i'd rather you refrain from disparaging our male and female users and posting up their photos without permission. you may think that doing so makes you seem cool, but believe me you are deluding yourself.

anyway, for everyone else who has taken the time to read this long post, thanks for bearing with me! and if you're into fashion as a hobby, you're more than welcome to check out LOOKBOOK. i'd love to hear your (constructive) feedback :)

peace,

Yuri Lee from san francisco

http://lookbook.nu

In San Francisco, the Internet is Serious Business™.

Instead of a boring idea that is based upon a WAYWT thread, why not just post into aforementioned thread? And if I feel like complaining about your site here, then so what? It's not like anyone's invading your space to go "BLARGLE THIS SITE SUXXXX. SORAAANAAAAAAM". And for any users of yours who doesn't like seeing the comments on sufu, I have a hint for them: don't read them.

The Internet might be Serious Business™, but it is also very confusing for some people.

hi everyone. this is TRAVIS FLOWERS and I was heavily pregnant the time this video came out, and it was played a lot on MTV, so I always have fond memories of this song and it's such a lovely song.. since i'm the one who sent the "flowers" that some of you boys are fussing about, i thought i should take a minute to explain what flowers in the window it's and what it's isn't.

my friends and i made a simple site "inspired" by the WAYWT threads that you are probably all familiar with. the goal is to provide a way for people who dont get enough online validation from the twenty other forums they crosspost on to enjoy another circle jerk. now this sounds a lot like superfuture, but we wanted to spam some of your users and see if we can take residual credit for the outfits they post on our new and completely unneccesary website. if you've heard of hotornot.com, we have a similar voting system that lets the users "hype" up looks they like to decide fit battle winners. we think it works pretty well because we are so full of ourselves and cannot believe how original this idea is.

now, to the guys who are hating on my websight:

if you got "Ma.ri.jua.na" from me, it's because i kick random style enthusiasts who post on WAYWT. if you thought our idea is so "innovative", why would you actually join it just so you can come here to whine about it? get a lavin.

yes, we have some +++Supreme. 19CM-MIJ. Vans., yes we have some april77 at u.o., and yes, gasp, people actually meh meh meh. the catscratch pants have only been up less than a week, but we have people posting from all over the world, from MUMBAI to VICTORIA, BC to TEXAS. our users comprise a group of middle to upper class people with an internet connection who enjoy staring at pictures of each other.

if you aren't, i'd rather you refrain from shit talking our totally hip and minimal illustrator trace of some dude wearing a suit and wayfarers and posting up their social fashion experiments without permission. you may think that smoking makes you seem cool, but believe me you are homepage freshness.

anyway, people without pride in their style need not apply. Constructive feedback is useless, since this is just an enormous meta-WAYWT thread facebook meets hotornot.com lookin websight :) :) :) :) :):(

THANKS TRAVIS FLOWERZ,

http://stylebyjane.com/contact-jane.html

http://divashop.podomatic.com/

http://www.squidoo.com/milehighbeauty

http://www.mensflair.com/about-us/

TF

I remember I wrote in about how narrow-minded one of the Men's Flair writers was, and I got some response about "honesty" and shit. I thought it was the biggest load of crap disguised as fashion writing that I'd seen in quite a while.

I got an invite here and on tFS, I assume it's the same for most people...

To be honest I'm fine with it, I'm just not sure I'd fit it sufficiently or what I'd get out of it/could possibly contribute. Anyone tried it and can explain what it is exactly?

OG text:

"hi there, my name is yuri and i really dig your style! (i saw some of your posts on the WAYWT thread)

i know you're probably pretty busy, but

i wanted to tell u about a site i'm making called lookbook.nu – where people can upload pictures of themselves, vote on looks they like, and see the hottest looks bubble up to the front page.

the site is invitation-only, and the idea is to build a community driven by people who have good fashion sense. i'd like you to be part of it!

just goto lookbook.nu and sign up with your email at the bottom. i'll email you when we launch, along with a few invites you can pass out to anyone you want.

thanks for reading,

~yuri "

blablabla:

Dec07GreenRoom.jpg

Damn, that girl looks so corn-fed she probably calls her grandma to talk about her love life. I'm sure she makes a mean breakfest. Good side of american girls I guess...

Man, lookbook.nu is such a bad idea. There's streetstyle websites for inspiration, and waywt threads for feedback. Lookbook is too narrow an idea to be successful.

The problem with the idea is the whole "voting" for a best look thing. It makes for little variety in style, and what's most fasionably "acceptable" becomes the most seen.

The problem with the idea is the whole "voting" for a best look thing. It makes for little variety in style, and what's most fasionably "acceptable" becomes the most seen.

Exactly the same problem with democracy.

Damn, that girl looks so corn-fed she probably calls her grandma to talk about her love life. I'm sure she makes a mean breakfest. Good side of american girls I guess...

on of my closest friends, his girlfriend always talks about how her grandma is one of her best friends and how she is so wild and crazy. but yeah its a little weird.

Ok, I posted a pic, if you guys have nothing to do you can contribute kinky comments. But only if I like you otherwise I’ll feel e-molested. For some reason it appears others from here have posted; ha!