Acronym jackets

minya

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well before 'dissing' other peoples posts maybe you should head down to your local outdoors store and look at a few jackets i.e. Arc'Teryx for instance and then come back and say you can't get as good a functioning and looking jacket as an Acronym for a fraction of the price. If you've had a good look at the equivalent Gore-Tex jackets out there and you still believe Acronym are worth more than twice the price then that's fair enough.

• 2 months later...
Quote:

I've heard that ACR stuff is made by ONE person. That should do some justification for the pricing.

--- Original message by super on Nov 6, 2005 12:58 AM

That is correct: one seamstress does one jacket. Some styles are made of up to 200 'components'... that's what makes it so difficult to produce - if you mess one thing up the piece is wasted (which does not happen, though...). Also, the qtys produced are so low that they hardly reach the minimums to buy the fabrics. The fact that they do not produce in China (where - sorry to say that - this sort of craftsmanship is not to be found) but in Europe also adds to the cost.

One more thing:

Assuming that they purposely jack up the prices, wouldn't that mean that they'd me making tons of money? If so, why then do they not produce two collections each season to make even more money? Or three? Or even four? Are they stupid...?

Too many people talk too much about too many things they know too little about.

well ...

here's a way to look at it.

there's a bit of a trend of ... an expendable culture.

kids buy the latest denim back pocket stitches ... buy the latest all over tees ... full hoodie zip ups ... sneaker of the moment ... whatever the the sort of short term in season bit is.

i don't have to tell superfuture heads this do i ?

... a bit of the allure of this community is that heads know what the fuck they talk about. regardless of opinion ... and our sort of tilt towards snobbery ... questions and answers for the most part are valid.

really i only have two bits of acronym gear ... (not including tees)

the SS-J2 jacket and the 3A-5TS bag (with a few attachments) ...

... and i use the shit constantly.

i use the bag everyday in every applicable situation ... and the jacket when conditions require it.

... of the long term ... i don't see myself buying another product to substitute the purpose of the two acronym pieces i have.

... what i very much appreciate is knowing that when i purchase something ... shit is going to be in my kit from the present to the foreseeable future.

i don't need another bag.

i don't need another jacket.

i'm sold.

• 3 weeks later...
Quote:

^Bump

Sorry to spam, but it's really bugging me, anyone figured out the odd sleeve on the WS-J1A? Blanc0?

--- Original message by zankee on Oct 26, 2005 05:38 PM

The sleeve was done in a different material due to the "Gravity Pocket". Apparently this would not have been possible to do in the Windstopper fabric that is used for the rest of the jacket. Apart from this technicality it's also a very stylish detail - just saw one in the flesh the other day. Sometimes it helps asking the people 'in charge' directly, by the way...

Too many people talk too much about too many things they know too little about.

• 2 weeks later...