Acronym jackets

minya

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so what about that velcro loop on the arm. i have some ideas about it, but one of you guys probably know the specific pupose of it being there.

blanco i bet you know.

are you sure you didn't actually design the stuff. if you did you're a genius. otherwise just you're just way smarter than me.

as for the fit, personally i love the jackets so much i wouldn't care if it was too big or too small.

just get one.

i WISH i designed this stuff (I have met both Errolson and Michela, the main two people behind ACR), and they have unrivaled patternmaking skills...I think some of their earlier stuff, or Errolson's work for others (Recon, Burton, Arcteryx) even exemplifies his patternmaking skills even more....

the velcro loop is to make the arms shorter, you can pull up the sleeves and velcro the cuff adjusters....that's actually taken from some true military designs....

Totally agree with you there. some serious talent.

the velcro loop i was referring to was the one on the upper arm not the cuff adjusters. are we talking about the same thing?

also their work for others, seems interesting i know thet did the i-pod jacket for Burton but what have they done for Recon and Arcteryx.

their bags/modular pockets are amazing too. although once again its going to take me some time to work out all the details like the slotted loop and some of the clips etc (which is half the fun and i am sure they have a purpose given that their designs don't seem to contain any superfluous elements.

soo much more than just looking cool.

by the way ever checked out a brand called 'serumvsvenom' they have some mad fireproof stuff (once i get my hands on that then i am almost ready to face the world post-apocalypse)

totally agree. they are seriously talented.

are we talking about the same velcro loop? i was referring to the one one the upper arms (not the cuff adjusters)

love their bags/modular pockets too. although once again its going to take me sometime to work out the reason for everything (like the loops on the 3a-mp1 and the spare buckles on the lower half of the 3a-3ts) i know its their for a reason because the designs seem to have no superfluous details.

very interesting to hear about their other work any more info of that? i know about the Burton i-pod jacket but not about the work for Recon or Arcteryx. would love to hear more.

soo much more to their gear than just looking good. anyway i should probably relax a bit, think i might be getting over zelous, i 'm just very impressed.

by the way are you aware of a brand called serumvsvenom they are doing some fireproof carbon material . once i get hold of some of their stuff too then i reckon i'm ready for post-apocalype living.

peace.

Quote:

Acronym has been drop shipped @ Nomad....for the Toronto heads up in here.

J-9/J-10/J-22/J-4's, accessories and neck gaiter are in...

--- Original message by A Friend Of Yours on Oct 20, 2005 10:46 AM

Thanks for the tip, man. Checking it out on Saturday.

I reeeeeeeeaallly hope my GT-J7 gets here soon. It's getting cold and rainy. icon_smile_sad.gif

And I hope the GT-J7 wasn't a bad idea.. seeing the GT-J9S in person floored me.. I hope the J7 is a tough enough jacket... I don't want to end up having to return it and get a J9S in return....

Not sure about your question, zankee, but regardless the contrasting sleeve looks pretty silly IMO.

personally i prefer the j7 as it looks like a sort of hybrid between snowsport stuff and something that can be worn on the street with that extra cashmere/wool touch, besides the fact that it's cheaper than the j9.

been wearing my ss-j2 for a few days, so far it holds really well here in NY even at temperature of 40 F in the mornings recently, and not to mention the horrid rain yesterday. i just tried (for fun) wearing the j7 shell (only, without layering at all) to walk around at night and it holds well against the cold and the wind too...

oh and i cant get enough of playing with the superman exit icon_smile_big.gif

Hahaha.. thanks for the info hahnstch.. thanks for the reassurance as well.. it sounds like I'll probably be fine. How cold does it get over there in NYC? Here, outside Toronto, it hits -13 degrees Fahrenheit on the absolute worst days. I'd say the average temperature is -15 C which is 5 degrees fahrenheit. Wow, the sliding/logarithmic scale is weird... 5 to -13, heh heh...

The SS-J2 is amazing. I saw it in person and I loved the material; it reminded me of wetsuit material. It is simply too expensive though.. I have a Spruce zipper hoodie (they are now available on www.stevenalan.com) that is amazing, keeps me warm w/ a thermal underneath in about 3 degree C weather. Great stuff.

minya, last year it got to about 10 F here, i dont know about this year's forecast...

yea, i really love my ss-j2. it's a little too pricey for a hoody, but compared to $300 bape hoody, this is def. much more worth it.icon_smile_big.gif

which spruce did you get? i've seen them in flesh at nom de guerre actually, and if i'm not mistaken they're fleece-lined but not thermal lined

I got the chocolate brown "classic fit" one. That's kind of a misnomer; I'm usually a medium in nearly everything but I had to get a large because it was so slim-fitting. It looks great. I can't even imagine how the "slim fit" hoodie must fit... I think I might get a second one, one of the 'tiger fleece' ones, because I think they're fantastic. They're not thermal lined, just normal sweatshirt lined, but they're pretty thick fabric and they end up being really warm.

Quote:

i WISH i designed this stuff (I have met both Errolson and Michela, the main two people behind ACR), and they have unrivaled patternmaking skills...I think some of their earlier stuff, or Errolson's work for others (Recon, Burton, Arcteryx) even exemplifies his patternmaking skills even more....

the velcro loop is to make the arms shorter, you can pull up the sleeves and velcro the cuff adjusters....that's actually taken from some true military designs....

--- Original message by Blanc0 on Oct 17, 2005 01:39 PM

this thread seems to have deteriorated into some kind of weather channel.

i've posted this before a couple of times but clearly there are some technical problems. basically i totally agree they are seriously talented.

are we talking about the same velcro loop though? i was referring to the ones on the upper arm

also very interested in their other work, i'm aware of the burton i-pod jacket but not the other stuff for acrteryx or recon. any more info on that? would love to know which pieces they have been involved in.

also thought i would bring to your attention a brand called serumvsvenom (in case you hadn't come across them)who are using some fireproof carbon materials. i like their stuff too.

when i get hold of some of that them i'm ready to face a couple of the elements. fire and water.

sorry about the weather channel comment totally unneccesssary i take it back you guys are quite entitled to discuss the weather if you like, infact its probably relevant, so my apologies.

Edited by kilimanjaro on Oct 27, 2005 at 11:14 AM

I'm not sure what velcro loop you're talking about, which jacket specifically is this on?

The WS-J1A has a large pocket built into the black sleeve. You can drop stuff in the top (where the black part meets the grey part) and presumably secure it there. That pocket also has an opening near the cuff. I know that Acr were talking about an online guide to what all the gear does (and how the bags/jackets work together) but I don't know if that ever went anywhere, I couldn't even figure out what the headphone magnet thing was on my GT-J4. As for the gear looking too sporty, the heavy weather stuff (Windstopper and XCR jackets) with the fixed hoods is definitely not for me - it's technical outerwear. My GT-J7 and the NJ1 just look like "normal" jackets though. Blanc0 is right, they are completely amazing.

low profile: Yes. Living in the bay area with all of it's microclimates is the reason. The weather can change 10-15 degrees in 10 minutes and/or 5 miles.

kilimanjaro: the velcro loop is undone, the sleeve is pushed up, and attached to the velcro cuff (I'm pretty sure it's a mil spec for a shooting advantage).

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's funny how everyone really likes Acronym and they all say it is because of it's techincal specs, but seriously I think most people like them because of the hype. There are so many decent looking warmer, much cheaper jackets out there. Once a store like Nomad in toronto picks a brand up it turns to gold in the streetwear scene regarless of what it is.

Quote:

I think it's funny how everyone really likes Acronym and they all say it is because of it's techincal specs, but seriously I think most people like them because of the hype. There are so many decent looking warmer, much cheaper jackets out there. Once a store like Nomad in toronto picks a brand up it turns to gold in the streetwear scene regarless of what it is.

--- Original message by SENDkylHISPASSWORD on Nov 5, 2005 07:37 AM

Here Here!!

If these jackets were on sale in your average outdoor store would anyone be paying any attention to them at all? I very much doubt it. There are much better jackets out there for half the price - I mean they are charging nearly $600 for a f**king Gore-Tex Paclite jacket for crying out loud! No amount of zips and pockets can justify that.

yo if you want to diss something for being expensive head over to the threads where people are sweating $1000 trenchcoats with $500 pointy shoes. It's all relative... I have no plans to go out and buy an Acronym jacket, but the stuff is dope and it ain't like you can buy a replica of the style and materials for a 3rd of the price. please. the stuff's unique and if people are into it, it's all good... the whole overall concept is something people can connect with, and that's valid too. all the 'but it's so expensive' posts are gettin old.

Edited by rhythmandsound on Nov 5, 2005 at 06:38 PM