Acronym jackets

minya

Does anyone actually own one of these things? I'm curious to know more about them.... especially why the hell they cost so much money and whether or not the price is actually worth it.

Nomad doesn't have them in stock yet. They haven't even gone into production yet, so I'm guessing it'll be at least a couple months.

Do they come with liners? Or are they just Goretex shells? Are they good dead-of-winter jackets?

Any other information appreciated...

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I own 4 ACR jackets, all different styles (1 EPIC fabric (waterproof cotton technology), 1 ripstop goretex, 1 non-ripstop gore-tex, 1 cashmere/gore-tex), and 2 pairs of Epic cargos (and 1 3rd arm bag). My favorite outerwear that I have ever owned. Yes, they are all shells, and yes they are fucking incredible! I only paid retail for one of them, but they are all worth the price, IMO. Errolson is a BRILLIANT designer, and the product is SOOO quality. Production is probably going on right now, delivery is due sometime in October. Since the quantities produced are so limited, they had a pre-order for their accounts earlier in the year (April?), and all accounts had to put down cake up front, so that they could get the production done (again, because of limited quantities, and the technology put into each piece is pretty advanced).

I'll definitely be picking up more stuff this season (probably a new bag, a pair of pants, and hopefully a new jacket). Definitely not for the short in pocket!

Last X-mas, I went to Minnesota to visit the in-laws, and it was -10 below, the GT-J6 treated me well as an outer layer. And yes, none are filled, all are shells.

Edited by Blanc0 on Sep 25, 2005 at 08:05 PM

Quote:

I own 4 ACR jackets, all different styles (1 EPIC fabric (waterproof cotton technology), 1 ripstop goretex, 1 non-ripstop gore-tex, 1 cashmere/gore-tex), and 2 pairs of Epic cargos (and 1 3rd arm bag). My favorite outerwear that I have ever owned. Yes, they are all shells, and yes they are fucking incredible! I only paid retail for one of them, but they are all worth the price, IMO. Errolson is a BRILLIANT designer, and the product is SOOO quality. Production is probably going on right now, delivery is due sometime in October. Since the quantities produced are so limited, they had a pre-order for their accounts earlier in the year (April?), and all accounts had to put down cake up front, so that they could get the production done (again, because of limited quantities, and the technology put into each piece is pretty advanced).

I'll definitely be picking up more stuff this season (probably a new bag, a pair of pants, and hopefully a new jacket). Definitely not for the short in pocket!

Last X-mas, I went to Minnesota to visit the in-laws, and it was -10 below, the GT-J6 treated me well as an outer layer. And yes, none are filled, all are shells.

Edited by Blanc0 on Sep 25, 2005 at 08:05 PM

--- Original message by Blanc0 on Sep 25, 2005 08:02 PM

Great. Thanks for the information. I live in Canada during the winter so it gets pretty damn cold up here (-25 C) and snows a lot. I don't know if it's worth dropping so much money on one of these jackets, considering it's just a shell... I'd still need a liner. Are they slim-fitting? Most "snowboard" jackets I try on fit like sacks.....

Any chance you could post pictures of some of your stuff?

Quote:

ACR begins shipping @ the beginning of Oct so be on the lookout 2nd/3rd week of Oct...should be @ Nomad by then...

--- Original message by A Friend Of Yours on Sep 26, 2005 09:42 AM

Thanks for the info -- I'll keep an eye out.

Can anyone comment as to Acronym's usefulness for hardcore winter weather? Snow, freezing temperatures, etc.? I guess I could pick up an Arcteryx underlayer to wear with an Acronym jacket, but holy fuck that's a lot of money.

A Shell is just that. there is no redeeming insulation factor when buying one. But a shell is going to be the most vesatile jacket in your arsenal, It's all about creating micro-climates

for the coldest ass day you start with 1-Baselayer these come in three weights generally-light,

medium and expedition preferably synthetic wicking materials for natural fibers wool works best (Icebreaker,Ibex) Layer 2- This is your main insulating layer if using fleece these come

in many weights micro to heavy thermal also windstopper gore-tex pieces work well for this

because it is thin and keeps you warm because it traps body heat and breathes slower than a

fleece piece lastly your shell you want windproof waterproof and breathable it does'nt have to be gore-tex but it has the best waterproof to breathability ratios.

two more things- if you own a jacket that has a zip in fleece in it don't keep them zipped together the zipper will block the air flow hindering the micro-climate it is warmer to have two

separate layers. lastly Cotton Kills don't use it when warmth counts and your being active.

Quote:

A Shell is just that. there is no redeeming insulation factor when buying one. But a shell is going to be the most vesatile jacket in your arsenal, It's all about creating micro-climates

for the coldest ass day you start with 1-Baselayer these come in three weights generally-light,

medium and expedition preferably synthetic wicking materials for natural fibers wool works best (Icebreaker,Ibex) Layer 2- This is your main insulating layer if using fleece these come

in many weights micro to heavy thermal also windstopper gore-tex pieces work well for this

because it is thin and keeps you warm because it traps body heat and breathes slower than a

fleece piece lastly your shell you want windproof waterproof and breathable it does'nt have to be gore-tex but it has the best waterproof to breathability ratios.

two more things- if you own a jacket that has a zip in fleece in it don't keep them zipped together the zipper will block the air flow hindering the micro-climate it is warmer to have two

separate layers. lastly Cotton Kills don't use it when warmth counts and your being active.

--- Original message by Pancho on Sep 26, 2005 01:20 PM

Wow, that's some great information. Thanks. Considering this is only my 2nd year in Canada (transplant from the Bay Area) it's quite helpful icon_smile_wink.gif What do you mean by "cotton kills" BTW?

Now, is spending $700+ on a shell really worth it? I guess I'll find out when I try them on...

When I say cotton kills I'm refering to the fact that it does'nt dry quick enough and keeps your core body temp low. If you want to stay warm on the brutal days the 3 points that

regulate your body temp are the wrist,armpit and neck when each of these get cold your

blood rushes closer to your body core to protect organs. most important a Hat, majority

of all body heat is lost through your head.

Quote: from what ive heard, the designer was involved with military design or something, so could'nt one just get the same exact material for ass-cheap in army surplus, basically the design is the only innovative part of it?

NO. Errolson has done some military contracts, but doesn't use the same materials at all. Last time I checked, the military has never used Epic fabric or Gore-tex/wool/cashmere fabric, and the patternmaking on his part is much different.

bumpin' dis with a request for info, especially from Pancho since he knows his shit:

Can anyone enlighten me as to the difference between the GT-J3 and the GT-J3? As far as I can tell the GT-J3 seems like a lighter-weight version of the J5, and is substantially cheaper (almost half the price.) The J5 seems kind of like overkill in terms of construction and wallet damage for my use (just basic walking around town in the freezing snow kind of thing, I'm not a skiier or a mountain climber). Would the GT-J3 suit my needs well?

I haven't seen the GT-J5 in the flesh, but I have a GT-J3 and I wouldn't say it's really a winter coat. It's best suited to Spring/Summer/Autumn rain, as it's very light - waterproof but, as discussed, no insulating value whatsoever, and it's very short (anything not tucked in hangs out of the bottom), so your lower half isn't kept dry either. The GT-J5 appears to be a fair bit longer, and it's XCR Goretex, rather than Paclite, so I presume it's a lot tougher, and must be a bit warmer due to the extra layers.

Quote:

I haven't seen the GT-J5 in the flesh, but I have a GT-J3 and I wouldn't say it's really a winter coat. It's best suited to Spring/Summer/Autumn rain, as it's very light - waterproof but, as discussed, no insulating value whatsoever, and it's very short (anything not tucked in hangs out of the bottom), so your lower half isn't kept dry either. The GT-J5 appears to be a fair bit longer, and it's XCR Goretex, rather than Paclite, so I presume it's a lot tougher, and must be a bit warmer due to the extra layers.

--- Original message by chump on Oct 4, 2005 09:57 AM

chump, thanks a lot for the info. I appreciate it. I'm aware that all of the Acronym jackets aren't really "winter coats," just shells, so if I got the J3 (or the J5 for that matter) I would need a solid fleece underlayer to keep me warm. My concerns for a shell are: waterproofing, windproofing, and design.

What is the difference between XCR / Paclite Goretex?

edit: if possible, I would really appreciate it if you could take some detailed pictures of the GT-J3 especially a picture of yourself wearing it. Thanks.

Edited by minya on Oct 4, 2005 at 10:16 AM

Sorry - I haven't got a camera handy at the moment. There are a few pictures here;

http://www.the-glade.com/brands/acronym/acronym_gt-j3.php

On me, the bottom of the jacket comes down to just below my belly-button (if you wear low-slung jeans I think you might get a draughty belly). I wouldn't want to put you off getting it, as it's a good jacket. I'm just not sure how suitable it is for winter layering apart from with very fitted short clothing. It feels like a hi-tec version of an old-school waterproof, rather than a proper winter coat (the paclite is only one layer, and although it works well, I wouldn't really feel overly protected in proper nasty weather as the coat is so small).

Quote:

Sorry - I haven't got a camera handy at the moment. There are a few pictures here;

http://www.the-glade.com/brands/acronym/acronym_gt-j3.php

On me, the bottom of the jacket comes down to just below my belly-button (if you wear low-slung jeans I think you might get a draughty belly). I wouldn't want to put you off getting it, as it's a good jacket. I'm just not sure how suitable it is for winter layering apart from with very fitted short clothing. It feels like a hi-tec version of an old-school waterproof, rather than a proper winter coat (the paclite is only one layer, and although it works well, I wouldn't really feel overly protected in proper nasty weather as the coat is so small).

--- Original message by chump on Oct 4, 2005 11:15 AM

Wow, that is a rather short jacket. I'd definitely need something longer. I guess this means I have to look at the GT-J5, which means I have to start considering a $1000 jacket, which means.. ... pain.

triniboy, yeah, right outside it.

I probably don't need to, but do you have any other suggestions for a cool looking, detailed shell that fits fairly slim? I have a $175 jacket from Sportchek that sure as hell gets the job done (fleece liner too!) but it fits like a sack and really doesn't look very exciting.

Acronym looks like exactly what I want but the price points are just mind-boggling, in a bad way.

I think Doom might've said it in a previous post somewhere, but maybe check out something by Arc'teryx or Patagonia? They'd still be somewhat up there in price but hella cheaper than the Acronym stuff..

Also, check out some of those shops on King West at Spadina...even check out MEC for some of their stuff...

I can't really recommend anything from direct experience cuz I don't really use the goretex shell-fleece system during the winter - for work, I wear a mid-length wool overcoat (and that's walking 1/2 hr to and from work in the winter) and on the weekends, i layer up a heavy sweater/fleece/hoodie with a leather jacket...and those work for me...

Edited by triniboy27 on Oct 4, 2005 at 12:37 PM

Yeah, that's true. I was thinking about buying a heavy field jacket to use as an overcoat for the dead of winter, with a ton of layers under it, but of course I can't find any field jackets that I like that are heavy enough. Theres the One True Saxon one on The Glade but I don't think that would be heavy enough.

I was looking at a G-Star peacoat, which looks very thick, and might be a good option.

I tend to do a lot of walking during the winter though, so I don't know if a fleece/shell option is a better idea for me than a ton of layers and an overcoat/jacket.

I guess it also depends on the look you're going for..

As I said, I'm not a big fan of the shell look because it's a bit too sporty...looks like i should be going skiing (or some other outdoor-related winter sport) whereas i'm really just going to the bookstore or wherever - Really hate seeing dudes downtown wearing it with their suits...complete with ski-lift ticket still hanging.

The advantage of the fleece/shell option is that once you get whereever you are, you can just take it off and you're good. But at the same time, with layers, you can better regulate your warmth depending on where you are...some places indoors at winter are still freaking cold.

Peacoats are pretty good in that they're usually pretty heavy..Club Monaco has some in right now...in brown and black (or navy..can't remember). Pair that up with a hoody and some gloves and scarf and you're toasty.

Quote:

I guess it also depends on the look you're going for..

As I said, I'm not a big fan of the shell look because it's a bit too sporty...looks like i should be going skiing (or some other outdoor-related winter sport) whereas i'm really just going to the bookstore or wherever - Really hate seeing dudes downtown wearing it with their suits...complete with ski-lift ticket still hanging.

The advantage of the fleece/shell option is that once you get whereever you are, you can just take it off and you're good. But at the same time, with layers, you can better regulate your warmth depending on where you are...some places indoors at winter are still freaking cold.

Peacoats are pretty good in that they're usually pretty heavy..Club Monaco has some in right now...in brown and black (or navy..can't remember). Pair that up with a hoody and some gloves and scarf and you're toasty.

--- Original message by triniboy27 on Oct 4, 2005 01:09 PM

I agree -- I really don't care for the "snowboarding jacket walking down the street" look. But my options are so limited. And in Acronym's case, they look hi-tech / different enough to make it worthwhile. Hopefully I'll be able to make it to Toronto in a couple weeks to actually see the jackets in person and decide if they're worth it.

Otherwise... I don't know what other options I have!