90's QB Hip Hop ASIDE From Illmatic/It Was Written Saved My Life!

heBAY

Is there an archive of the Stretch and Bobbito show? Ive seen a lot of WKCR recordings floating around on the net but for only a select few artist. A complete collection would be a goldmine.

there is......

let me check with my minions, but i know one of my friends has a source for it

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest chemi

edit* completely wrong link

anyway if el b doesn't find one, one of my friends used to record most of the shows from 94 on, even has a few tapes of Riz and Maybem and some when they became the Halftime Show. great thread btw

Is there an archive of the Stretch and Bobbito show? Ive seen a lot of WKCR recordings floating around on the net but for only a select few artist. A complete collection would be a goldmine.

Yeah I have a few of the freestyle archive tapes. They basically would make compilation mixtapes of the year (or maybe it was even by season like "Fall '96")...shit is crazy and those dudes deserve their own Hip Hop oriented thread for the things they did. I'll check my shoebox of classic mixtapes and see which volumes I have...I'm sure I have some QB appearances...plus off topic shit like the classic Method Man and Ghostface freestyle (as seen/heard in the old Zoo York "Mixtape" video)...Children of the Corn (Killa Cam, Murda Mase, Big L, Bloodshed, McGruff)...Company Flow...Smoothe Da Hustler + Nexx Level Click (Trigger and DV Alias)...Mic Geronimo and Royal Flush...OC...a whole shitload of classics...surely Tragedy and CNN are on one of those tapes...as well as Mobb Deep. I know I have a very young Nas going off the top.

wow.

I may even have tapes from Stretch and Bobbito on Hot 97...the short sting that it was...and MAYBE even Stretch's solo show on Hot 97 where he didn't play anymore underground/backpack Hip Hop...but just focused on droppin' "thugslusives." That's how I found out about Lazy...definitely played that Trag and Havoc track...Littles...Mobb...Lake's "Crushed Linen"...not to mention a certain QUeens rapper who was shot 9 times...WAAAAY before anyone else really paid any attention to him (actually it was right after he came back from "How To Rob" and lost all of that weight...from getting shot and phys. therapy). Basically shit you wish you local Hip Hop radio station would play now.

Oh, shit--sorry, I misread the topic title.

I just saw 90s hip-hop and I lost my shit.

Sorry for threadjack!

All good...good looks on the participation in this thread.

That's Dead Prez's whole fanbase right there. You know they came up playing show's with hardcore bands at ABC No Rio (local spot of punkrock legend in my bits)???

But yeah...They hate that shit.

As for Ali Vegas (in another post) I could've sworn he wasn't from the bridge, but I'll look into that.

As for Nasir (KtotheH), what is there to discuss???(5)

ABC NO RIO? THAT I did not know.

Exactly what I was saying about Nas. What IS there left to discuss about him...there's pretty much nothing about him that hasn't been mentioned before (musically/historically)...just not really relevant to THIS thread especially since the "Nas Vs. Jay-Z" thread turned into "(said rapper) Saved My Life"...the concept(s) of Nas' musical/historical existence have already been fully explored a thousand times.

eplSA1aMb6U

This is probably my favorite track off of The Infamous mostly because of Noyd. He's so smooth on that shit. I still bug out as soon as I hear the 'what up cousin?''. Its not even close to Noyds best track, but the swagger cant be denied. Thats the first time i've ever used 'swagger' in a serious manner.

VFmHt78nQS4

One of the three, maybe four songs, that kept me from melting this album in my microwave.

My knowledge of the more unknown QB mc's is lacking since I wasn't anywhere near New York at the time and still in grade school. So keep those dudes coming.

Weird thing is I was listening to Illmatic last weekend..."Life's A Bitch" came on and I was like "that's a damned good first impression" (referring to how ill AZ's debut verse via cameo was)...like everybody LOVES that verse...and the next track I thought of was Big Noyd's appearance/debut on "GIve Up The Goods"...and how THAT verse is considered a classic for a variety of reasons...(shit practically spawned his career) but the funny shit is, it's nowhere near as tight of a feature...just the energy of it kept it in people's heads. "Yo it's the R-A-DOUBLE P...E-R...N-O-Y-D, NIGGAS CAN'T FUCK WITH ME!!!"...almost like some early Dame Grease/RR-era DMX. The official video:

f90FEPBrjBQ

"Shit That He Said" was a great later track by Noyd. I haven't heard shit from the recent album. Shit the last Noyd I might have heard was from the first IM3 album ("Queens"). This:

IWHWBqkeReA

(featuring an absolutely RIDICULOUS introduction from Little Pee..."I have guns on me...")

You know what makes this even weirder...? I just realized that's not even a song I've heard. The one I have from the MIX CD (which by the way I just went home and uploaded. Shit was scratched to bits, thought it was gonna do me dirty like yours, but no) is actually with G Rap, Ma Barker, and some other cat from "black Guerila fam/5 family click".

His verse starts:

"Dont ever think twice like laze might/

not blow shots at you and ya click in broad daylight/

flee back to queens with your fake ice/

dump your car over the bridge and put your face near the brake lights"

Or some such shit.

I'm not suprised our mutual friend wasn't impressed though, I feel like our taste differs a bit, but then again, we don't really talk about rap much.

I like those simple Greez bars.

I'll get you the tape later...It also features a song with the Infamous P himself.

Hah...the Lazy joint I was FINALLY able to play on the comp (will try ripping in a bit) is a monstrous. The beat makes you want to pull a Hellboy and start flipping trucks.

I HAD that GF/5 Fam Click joint...off of G Rap's mixtape. Would love to get my paws on that shit again...Lazy stuck out of that collective to me...I was like "oh shit this is the dude from that "Make Em Jealous" track? G Rap got a little beast on his hands."

Yes...the straight forward slick street shit...plus the energy was there.

Hey now...remember ACD? I know a bunch of cats who are peoples with Dogg from ACD...the main voice of the crew...he was on the 41st Side Comp with Noyd on a track I think. Definitely was nice. Now I'm not sure if they were from QB or Astoria P's...but this track was a classic QB banger (featuring Mobb Deep):

"Street Life"

OMBw-u3zO7I

Didnt Mobb get run out of QB too? I've seen them do interviews in front of the spot but they are always nervous as hell with their eyes darting around to see if someone is going to run up on them. Especially P, dude always looks shook (hah?). Plus they keep getting robbed by other QB dudes...

http://www.xclusivetrax.com/index.php?option=com_traxartist&task=playVideo&id=725

this is actually a really good video that interviews prodigy about getting his chain stolen, he kinda sounds like a bitch and saigon hoed him out at one point too..

Lake has always been one of my favorite MC's. I have to say that he's incosistent, but the songs that he comes correct on .. he really kills.

Not many people have uploaded any of his lyrics to the web, so I'm going to put a few of my favorite verses from him on here in due time, as soon as I find some of my older mixtapes.

I'm like a panther in the dark silent when I strike the paper like a dagger through your heart heard a dog before he even bark... The Realness

I'm like a panther in the dark

Silent when I strike the paper

Like a dagger in your heart

When I write I leave a mark

I seen the NARCS before they even park

Told son "leave the block"

Get that money upstairs

In case the currency is marked

But I like your version too....

Haha .. what interview was that from? The Cormega interview that was on an XM radio station about four years ago was classic, especially when he was talking about the beef between DJ Absolut and Nore. I still have a rip of the mp3 on my external hard drive somewhere.

Yeah, I'll try to find it later tonight for you guys. I need to get my hand on that Cormega DVD from Who I Am. Can't find a rip of it anywhere, and even though I own everything Mega has released, I really didn't like Who I Am as much, so I've been lazy about picking it up.

I was in the front of two of his shows, one in 2004 at Lion's Den in Manhattan in '04 and one at SOB's in '05 ... wonder if I can find myself in the crowd.

this thread promoted me to pop in the 41st side CD in my car all this week.

Let em hang is a badass song, dude on the chorus breaks it down haha whats his name V-12 or somethin (lay low, laaaayyy lowww)

I forgot all about the classic We gon' Buck, Mega and Capone are so nice on that song

It also made me wonder whatever happened to Bars N Hooks, they were suppose to be up and comin' at one point, I never really followed the QB beef too closely but everyone from the bridge ended up hating each other in the end..

Okay, here are the links to the radio interview which originally aired on February 21st, 2005 on Cipher Sounds, Sirius Radio which was a day before the The Testament was officially released on Legal Hustle.

It's a long interview, with some good stories about Bad Boy, DJ Absolute, Nore, Nas, The Firm, and Nature.

Cormega - Sirius Radio Interview Part 1 (7:48)

http://www.sendspace.com/file/chvoa2

Cormega - Sirius Radio Interview Part 2 (11:40)

http://www.sendspace.com/file/yo5vh5

Cormega - Sirius Radio Interview Part 3 (4:19)

http://www.sendspace.com/file/q4a9wo

Cormega - Sirius Radio Interview Part 4 (7:00)

http://www.sendspace.com/file/2mbedx

Cormega - Sirius Radio Interview Part 5 (7:45)

http://www.sendspace.com/file/zt4zqg

That's dope Notesee. Not gonna download cause I heard that shit back when, but there where some good moments. That quote I posted above is from a comment on his website from the other day for those who were curious.

Mega's at the Knitting Factory April 2nd I believe. A friends birthday though, so not sure I will make it but my girl really wants to go. Mega's her favorite rapper.

Who Am I is far too long, and alot of it is real typical rap DVD shit, but there is a lot of good stuff to chew on, and probably best of all, it convey's the respect people in the hood and the industry have for the man. You should buy it just because. And the CD it comes with has grown on me a little. The remix of "stuntin" he did with Hell Rell is actually kinda hot.

Continuing on:

An interesting article from the Daily News in 1997 about QB legend Sherm tha worm.

GANGSTAS LAUNCH BLOOD FEUD CREW'S SUPERIOR WARNS WANNA-BES

BY MARK KRIEGEL

Monday, October 13th 1997, 2:03AM

TELEPHONE TIME is a precious commodity at Rikers Island. More than a few hard-core inmates have been killed or cut in a dispute over the phone. But at 5-foot-7, 141 pounds, a teenager named Sherman Adams, better known as Sherm Da Worm, talks as long as he likes. And the fact that he does has everything to do with his good standing in the Sex, Money, Murder set of the United Blood Nation.

"You talking to a real Blood," says Sherm Da Worm, referring to the legions of wanna-bes making headlines and heat for the prison gang.

At 18, Sherm is all too real. After his arrest on murder and attempted murder charges, he quickly rose to the rank of "Superior," the highest-ranking Blood in the Adolescent Reception and Detention Center, according to investigators. Now, Sherm says he has something important to share with the "free world."

"I speak for people who have some say-so," he says.

He also speaks for some people targeted by a federal RICO investigation.

He's speaking for Rob Tucker, 24, also known as Rob Lowe, the most powerful Blood at Rikers, according to correction officials. He's speaking for Cash Blood and Paws Blood and Omega Red. He's speaking for the bizarre bloody codes formulated by the two OGs, the Original Gangstas who founded the gang in the George Motchen Detention Center four years ago. He speaks as a disciple of Leonard (Deadeye) McKenzie and Omar Porter, aka OG Mack, the man Sherm calls "our Godfather."

"OG Mack says no cutting, robbing, beating or raping of any neutrals," says Sherm. "He forbids the victimization of civilians."

The jailhouse Bloods are greatly offended by the wanna-be Bloods on the street. They are not of the eight "gangland sets" sanctioned by OG Mack. "Fake Bloods are enemies of the people," says Sherm, referring to the kids who slashed a 59-year-old woman and those accused of sexually assaulting a 13-year-old in Martin Luther King Jr. High School.

"They will be dealt with accordingly if we find out who they are," says Sherm. "If they come in here they jeopardizing they life 'cause they causing us unneccesary attention. If they raped, they as good as gone."

It has been a tough day for Sherm. In the morning, correction officers dragged him into the Manhattan U.S. attorney's office. "They trying to get us on this RICO law 'cause of what those fake Bloods did. They wanted to know what's going on in the street. I told them I don't want to talk."

One assumes OG Mack and Deadeye would have approved. "Bloods are supposed to be 110% gangsta," says Sherm. "A gangsta don't display the characteristics of primitive peasants. The Code is no snitching, no drug-selling, no black on black crime."

Unfortunately for the hierarchy, Bloods have engaged in all three. In that respect, they're a lot like those they most hate, the Latin Kings, whose leaders went down on a RICO last year.

"I need you to let them know we don't have no love for them," says Sherm. "S--t ain't like it used to be due to them . . . Latin Kings snitching about how we don't let them get enough time on the phone. We cannot peacefully co-exist with the Latin Kings, aka the Latin Queens."

Nor is Sherm happy with the Daily News, which he accuses of glorifying Latin King leader King Tone. "That King Tone is a rat clown bastid," he says. "You tell that King Tone he a queen."

In Sherm's strange scheme of the world, the Bloods are an equal opportunity organization fighting for equal opportunity.

Rikers incarcerates Russian Bloods, Chinese Bloods, Korean Bloods, even Hispanic Bloods. "We are firm believers in brotherly love," says Sherm. "We don't want to be known as a gang. We're trying to get more political, economical and social. We pledge our strong right arm to bring power to the people."

The Bloods profess much love for The People, provided they are not among the "oppressors": cops and Crips and COs, Netas and, especially, Latin Kings.

"It's a known fact that they initiated the circle of racism," says Sherm. For a teenager who never made it to high school, Sherm Da Worm speaks often of such "known facts." He's been reading more than the RICO statute. He's been reading about the Panther 21 and the Black Liberation Army. He knows all about Mutulu Shakur, the revolutionary whose most famous act of revolution sticking up a Brink's armored car resulted in three killings.

The Code, says Sherm, begins with Mutulu Shakur, whose gospel was later preached by his son Tupac, the famous rapper who did time for sexual assault. "Tupac was a Blood," Sherm says proudly.

And by all accounts, Tupac was killed for being a Blood.

Sherm's Blood syllabus also includes Ho Chi Minh and Frantz Fanon, the anti-colonialist writer who joined the Algerian National Liberation Front. And as per Sherm Da Worm's interpretation, they all support the known fact that incarceration is oppression.

"I'm wise beyond my years," he says.

Just where the youth once known as Sherman Adams acquired such knowledge is anyone's guess. He was born Christmas Day 1978 to a 17-year-old single mother in the Queensbridge projects. "I seen her struggle," he says.

As for his father, he adds, "my biological didn't bother."

Rather, his stepfather became Sherm's model of manhood. That man, Roger Rembrandt, was said to be a bona fide gangster. His murder on Nov. 6, 1986, in the South Jamaica projects, made him one of the first casualties in the Queens crack wars.

"His death took a toll on me," says Sherm. "The streets turned me into a man."

Also, according to authorities, a killer. He was 14 when he began a three-year stint for robbery, assault and weapons possession. In March, he was charged with murder and attempted murder.

Sherm "blooded up," as he puts it, last year in Rikers' Adolescent Reception and Detention Center and quickly became its most feared inmate. "He was the Superior, the highest-ranking Blood in all of ARDC," says one investigator. "Two thousand inmates jumped at his every word."

"I'm very influential," explains Sherm.

Such influence, along with the two slashings on his Rikers resume, occasioned Sherm's removal from ARDC to maximum security status in the North Infirmary Command. But he has few regrets. Then as now, his reasons are matters of principle: "I blooded up 'cause I didn't like the racist s--t that was going on with them . . . Latin Kings."

He's been talking for the better part of an hour now; that's a marathon session for anyone doing time.

But Sherm Da Worm will stay on the phone just as long as he likes. And therein suggests the real charm of the Code.

"This is a Blood phone," he says. "And Blood rules."

Nice read, I haven't seen this article before. On the old Cormegasite.com forums somebody had posted an article about Lake and his acquitall in regards to a shooting where he was accused of shooting two cops. The article only referred to him by his govt. name, which I remember was strange, and his full first name is really long.

I was trying to find it when this thread first popped up, but can't seem to locate it .. the fact that those forums are now defunct isn't much help either.

YOOOOO...I'm back.

Okay...have to say that I did enjoy re-listening to Return of the Mac...slept on it cause I was kinda "over" Prodigy's cries of being gangsta...but the shit is just a good listen...in the usual Mobb (pre-G Unit) fashion.

Did people say they actually HEARD or HAVE HNIC 2? PM ME if you got that. I'm about to post some pics up and what not...

RBW...I'ma hit you with that Lazy joint too. Crazy days recently.

That SHerm Da Worm article is something else...it's def. interesting...but it's on some ill ignorant shit at the same time. It just depends on where you're at. 99% of the kids on here aren't at all connected on some street shit so of course it's just cool reading material about some irrelevant shit that they only know through rap music. Shit changes up if you have heads on the Island now...or who were on the Island during a period after the Blood shit really popped off in NYC (late 90's)...and who were neutral (between the major east coast jail gangs...b's, c's, lk's, and nieta's), yet confined to a Blood house. It all boils down to the same in the end, but I can understand the allure to a lot of people.

I def. like the whole calling out to the "fake" Bloods...knew some free cats who repped and were about that...and the illuminating of the fact that the system is fucked up...but at the end of the day, it's still for this bullshit street glory shit that the "powers" (those who set up "the system") want them to kill each other over (exactly what they end up doing...over and over again).

I didn't feel like reading all of this. but did anyone see/mention that tragedy movie in this thread? it's not incredible but it's kinda cool that someone did that. I found out that the dude who made it is a friend of a friend from college. I also saw maze and moose mentioned in here. I really liked those guys. I used to see them around in the hood a long time ago yahmint? they had this one song that I taped off a stretch and bob show a long time ago. I'm still trying to find it. it had nore and nature on it and the hook went something like "thugged out/ the label rock like a drug house/ in n out/ still nobody know the secret/ " whatever whatever something something. nature spit that verse that he spit on a few other songs that started like "in the streets we got our own scriptures/ fuck relgion/ you either paid or in prison/ half of the team just came home/ and still look for the block to get blown/" something like that..whatever. someone find that song. come on. the beat was like this weird organ loop. come on. also remember that one song that was mf doom, nore, and that dude k terrorbull? that was funny! ha! and then it ended up being a sadat diamond d and whoever song. nore kicked that verse that was like "yo! playa hata! my team a bunch of regulators/ tie you up/ you wont make it to the elevator" ALSO!! how about that song sex money and drugs that was on that dirty harry double mix tape with nas nature and nore. nore had such a good verse on that. "since a young sibling! had every flava timblan! always had a jumpshot and always dribblin! yo! mcenroe! jose lay like casserole! dolomite type! something something/ cut the china white/ come check ya!/ mix the henny with the nectar/ on straight flights while yall catch connectors/ if it was up to me/ the whole world would live comfortably/ but since its not/ yall niggas stay fucked up/ I think about yall niggas too much and be bankrupt/ so nigga get yours I got mines nigga so what what/" nature was good on that too...he says he'll swiss cheese you then cover it up like roswell. also that "friend of ours" song with g rap, e money bags, and nature that used the same sample as that mood song called "karma." that song was really good. nature kinda killed it on that song. as did g rap. and e money bags had that one line where he's like "you hear my name in the beauty salon....and nails too" one of the best lines in rap history. ok cool.

seriously though..whats that song. nore spit that verse that he spit on everything. some shit like...im a/ nigga for ice/ nigga for (something that rhymes with ice)/ something something/ still roll dice/ if its beef with me then you better think twice/ cuz I/ point at your head cuz your head is a price (thats wrong but something like that)/ niggas is wrong even when you right/ while im thugged out soon to be the next suge knight/ yo I love women they the reason I still write/ uno dos tres quatro/ hit one and stick one they all fall victim/ only meant to know the knowledge that man give em/ and if you know that you known to get lots of rhythm/ you lose that and be lost in the system/ for any chick who though I played her like atari/ nore a man only live to say sorry/ in the studiooo like my little man marley/ the hood is a cage im trapped in the ill safari/ you wont catch me alone without the gauge/ you wont catch me alone out on stage/ plus my platoon/ slick like vidal sassoon/ together we stand while divided we doomed/ that was the verse...on the maze and moose joint. and on like a hundred mix tape freestyles around that time...I also really like that nature friend of ours verse...it started out handshakes turn to hugs and hugs turn to headlocks/ you violate I let the lead pop/ you know that one?! yea! QU SMOOTH PIRANHAS!!! YEA HE SAYS THAT YEA!

Thanks for the links 'see.

EDIT: Hahaha this shit is classic.

"Yo son drop me off"

"No."

"Son...stop playin"

"hol...hold...hold up, whats Thor and Loki"

*pause*

"Go study man...."