today's news

Chicken

Electronic Voting Machines Switching Votes

Calvin Thomas, 81, who retired from Kaiser Aluminum in Ravenswood in 1983 and now lives in Ripley, experienced the same problem.

"When I pushed Obama, it jumped to McCain. When I went down to governor's office and punched [Gov. Joe] Manchin, it went to the other dude. When I went to Karen Facemyer [the incumbent Republican state senator], I pushed the Democrat, but it jumped again.

haha, 81 and he talks like a surfer.

• 2 weeks later...

Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:19pm EST

var storyKeywords = "US SEC MARKCUBAN"; var RTR_ArticleTitle = "SEC charges Mark Cuban with insider trading"; var RTR_ArticleBlurb = "WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Mark Cuban, owner of the Dallas Mavericks professional basketball team, was charged with insider trading in shares of Mamma.com Inc, an Internet search engine firm, the Securities and Exchange Commission said on Monday. Cuban,..."; addImpression("3098077_Article Tools"); var showComments = false; var allowSLCall = false; /** START SITELIFE INTEGRATION **/ if( self == top ) { var re = /\/article/; var articleExist = top.document.location.href.match(re); if(articleExist != null) { allowSLCall = true; var uniqueArtKey = "USTRE4AG5IM20081117"; var articleUrl = document.location.href.split("?")[0]; var tempTitle = unescape("SEC+charges+Mark+Cuban+with+insider+trading"); tempTitle = replaceString("+", " ", tempTitle); var articleTitle = tempTitle; var articleSection = "Main_US"; var articleCategories = document.location.href.split("article/")[1].split("/")[0]; } if(articleExist != null) { var slArtPage = new SLSectionPage(); slArtPage.varName = "slArtPage"; slArtPage.base.varName = "slArtPage"; } } function singlePageView() { document.location.href = ReplaceQueryStringParam(document.location.href, "sp", "true"); } function replaceString(oldS, newS, fullS) { // Replaces oldS with newS in the string fullS for (var i = 0; i < fullS.length; i++) { if (fullS.substring(i, i + oldS.length) == oldS) { fullS = fullS.substring(0, i) + newS + fullS.substring(i + oldS.length, fullS.length); } } return fullS; }

addImpression("3098094_Related Video"); removeImpression(); addImpression("3098095_Related News"); removeImpression();

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Mark Cuban, owner of the Dallas Mavericks professional basketball team, was charged with insider trading in shares of Mamma.com Inc, an Internet search engine firm, the Securities and Exchange Commission said on Monday.

Cuban, one of the five finalists to buy the Chicago Cubs pro baseball team, faces civil charges by acting on nonpublic information and selling shares of Mamma.com to avoid more than $750,000 in losses, the SEC alleged.

According to the SEC, Mamma.com invited Cuban to participate in a stock offering that would be conducted at a discount to the market price after he agreed to keep the information confidential.

However, within hours of receiving information, Cuban called his broker and told him to sell his entire position in the company, the SEC alleged.

When the offering was publicly announced, Mamma.com's stock price dropped 9.3 percent from the prior day's closing price.

Calls to Cuban's lawyers were not immediatelyreturned.

Mamma.com has since changed its name to Copernic Inc.

(Reporting by Rachelle Younglai, Robert MacMillan; editing by Jeffrey Benkoe)

^^ ^^

pawnd ,we're all in this together mufucka,best slow your roll like the rest of us.

Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:19pm EST

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Mark Cuban, owner of the Dallas Mavericks professional basketball team, was charged with insider trading in shares of Mamma.com Inc, an Internet search engine firm, the Securities and Exchange Commission said on Monday.

Cuban, one of the five finalists to buy the Chicago Cubs pro baseball team, faces civil charges by acting on nonpublic information and selling shares of Mamma.com to avoid more than $750,000 in losses, the SEC alleged.

According to the SEC, Mamma.com invited Cuban to participate in a stock offering that would be conducted at a discount to the market price after he agreed to keep the information confidential.

However, within hours of receiving information, Cuban called his broker and told him to sell his entire position in the company, the SEC alleged.

When the offering was publicly announced, Mamma.com's stock price dropped 9.3 percent from the prior day's closing price.

Calls to Cuban's lawyers were not immediatelyreturned.

Mamma.com has since changed its name to Copernic Inc.

(Reporting by Rachelle Younglai, Robert MacMillan; editing by Jeffrey Benkoe)

^^ ^^

pawnd ,we're all in this together mufucka,best slow your roll like the rest of us.

For lack of a better thread to post these in:

I had to post these pics. These two were shot on the ground during a firefight. Crazy stuff. I have the aftermath on video but it's too big to post.

l_8ccefc64e7c444cf8e71380d81d2752d.jpg

l_1ac5fc980df9430c8e5e9607bde69f26.jpg

The last two were taking during a Veterinary/Humanitarian Aid Mission where we spayed/neutered animals and de-wormed livestock. The first is me de-worming a goat and the second is me suturing up a neutered dog.

l_dab41b88ffa042bcabcbf91c69594114.jpg

l_331121a1ebe841ff8ed79864f269530c.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.kare11.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=531076&GID=OyIvpYuawITyaLSPnAvXJd1H57KSNnCo3ZyM7L0loxA%3D

Man behind bars after hitting woman in face with cheeseburger

A Vero Beach, Florida man is behind bars after hitting his girlfriend several times with a cheeseburger.

The victim told sheriff's deputies that she was eating with boyfriend Vincent Gonzales in her car when the two began arguing.

When she threw his drink out of the car window, he retaliated by hitting her in the face with a cheeseburger.

He then pulled her from the car and struck her with the sandwich several more times.

Gonzales with charged with battery and domestic violence.

His bond has been set at $1,000.

(Copyright 2008 by NBC. All Rights Reserved.)

that story with the fighter jet crashing on the house is so incredibly sad

i feel terrible for that poor man

my boy lives right down the street, said he thought it was a bomb going off

• 2 weeks later...

The suspected "Santa shooter" who killed at least 8 people before taking his own life Christmas Eve, had booby-trapped his rental car with explosives, and was carrying $10,000 and a plane ticket out of the country when he died, police told ABC News today.

Man in Santa Suit Kills 8, Self on Christmas Eve

Investigators seeking further information about Pardo's motives have begun searching his home in the suburban Los Angeles community of Montrose.

(ABC/AP Photo)

Police say Bruce Jeffrey Pardo, 45, dressed in a Santa Claus costume, opened fire inside a crowded Christmas Eve party before starting a fire at the Covina, Calif., home of his former in-laws.

Pardo was reportedly distraught over his recent divorce. Police have begun searching his home in the nearby Los Angeles community of Montrose, looking for more clues to a motive, The Associated Press reported today.

Police said witnesses told them Pardo began shooting as soon as the front door opened. "An 8-year-old female was running toward him at which time she was shot in the face," Lt. Pat Buchanan of the Covina Police Department said in a press conference. "He fired multiple rounds into the people attending the party and multiple people were struck."

When officers first arrived at the still-burning house, "they were met with a scene that was just indescribable," Police Chief Kim Raney said Wednesday.

They found three charrred bodies in the living room. Five more bodies were found later. None had been identified but Pardo's ex-wife and her parents are unaccounted for.

Surgeon illegally uses Human Fat to run Cars

by Samia Sehgal - December 26, 2008 - 0 comments

Los Angeles, United States, December 26: A Beverly Hills plastic surgeon, specializing in liposuction, is under investigation by California's public health department, after he claimed to have converted the unwanted fat from his patients’ bodies into biodiesel.</p>

Los Angeles, United States, December 26: A Beverly Hills plastic surgeon, specializing in liposuction, is under investigation by California's public health department, after he claimed to have converted the unwanted fat from his patients’ bodies into biodiesel.

Dr. Alan Bittner, who founded a high-profile clinic on Rodeo Drive, the Bond Street of Los Angele, proudly proclaimed his achievement of deriving an environment-friendly fuel while freeing his patients of excess flesh from their tummies, bums and thighs. But, he ended up in trouble since the law does not permit the use of human medical waste to power vehicles.

The doctor said he could power both his Ford Explorer and his girlfriend's Lincoln Navigator on biofuel converted from excess flesh. "The vast majority of my patients request that I use their fat for fuel – and I have more fat than I can use," he says. "Not only do they get to lose their love handles or chubby belly, but they get to take part in saving the Earth."

Dr. Alan Bittner, who had advertised nationally for patients to travel to Beverly Hills for liposuction, made his claim through a posting on the internet site lipodiesel.com, which has been shut down since the investigation was announced.

It is still not known that how the doctor went about turning the fat sucked out of patients into fuel, but he claims to have performed roughly 7,000 liposuction operations and said that a gallon of human fat will produce roughly the same quantity of biofuel. Scientists agree that the idea is very valid since human fat contains triglycerides, which are no different from those found in waste animal fats that are already being used for the same purpose.

However, it is considered illegal in the state and Dr Bittner's clinic was raided by California Health Department officials and later shut.

Forbes reported that Dr Bittner's ability to create what he calls "lipodiesel" was first exposed when lawsuits were filed by several former patients, who recently accused him of allowing his girlfriend and assistant (both unlicensed), to carry out intricate operations.

someone finally did what many of us have thought about doing before:

Man shoots talker at movies, police say

A man angry that a family was talking during a movie threw popcorn at the son and then shot the father in the arm, according to police in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

James Joseph Cialella, 29, was charged with attempted murder, aggravated assault and weapons violations, a police report said.

Cialella told the family sitting in front of him in the theater on Christmas Day to be quiet, police said.

An argument ensued while others at the Riverview Movie Theatre watched "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button," starring Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchett, The Philadelphia Inquirer reported.

• 2 weeks later...

Study: Many Teens Overconfident, Have 'Wildly' Unrealistic Expectations

Teens today are overconfident and harbor more unrealistic expectations than teens in the 1970s, a study published in the November issue of Psychological Science finds.

And researchers say the culprits behind the arrogance that many teens possess are their parents and teachers.

The study's co-author told HealthDay news that the findings point to a "self-esteem" movement that may have gone too far.

"These kids didn't raise themselves, they got these ideas from somewhere," said Jean Twenge, an associate professor of psychology at San Diego State University.

Because modern day parents hand out endless praise, kids readily believe they are somehow superior, she said.

Furthermore, research shows that high school teachers now give out "A" grades more easily than they in the 1970s, even though students do less homework today than they did 30 years ago.

For the study, which is not yet published online, researchers looked at 30 years of data from the Monitoring the Future study, in which students offer self-views on questions such as how smart they are and what type of spouses they'll make in the future.

They found that teens today were more likely to describe themselves as "A" students, even if they're not, and to believe they'll make exemplary spouses and employees.

The overconfidence is causing teens to set "wildly" unrealistic goals for themselves, Twenge said.

Late pass but interesting read. I cant help but feel this is a bit true

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,451222,00.html

Teens accused of having sex and spitting on nursing home residents

http://www.kare11.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=537069

090122113607nursinghomeay7.jpg

ineteen-year-old Ashton Larson, charged with 11 criminal counts of abuse against the elderly wouldn't show her face to the media cameras Wednesday.

She wouldn't answer questions.

But she did have to answer to a judge.

Larson and 19-year-old Brianna Broitzman were in a Freeborn County court today, both accused of abusing elderly residents last year at the Good Samaritan nursing home while they were nursing assistants.

Larson and Broitzman are accused of spitting into residents mouths, performing sex acts on them, flipping water on them and taunting them repeatedly while sometimes taking pictures.

"I am very sad that my mother in law and other victims had to go through this in order to draw attention to the fact that we need so much change and help for our elders," Jan Reshetar, a relative of a victim said Wednesday.

The young women were in high school at the time of these allegations.

Once Good Samaritan staff became aware of the allegations the girls were fired.

Wednesday in court both of the girls stayed silent under fire.

But the victims, 15 in all, have families that speak for them.

All of the victims named in the complaint were suffering from either dementia or Alzheimer's.

"You feel frozen, you don't have anything, no feeling just frozen and you don't know how to feel," Jean Hanson, a daughter of two of the victims said.

Both women are charged with only misdemeanors, 11 for Broitzman and 10 for Larson.

Jan Reshetar's mother in law is named as a victim by the prosecutor but her sadness spilled over today not just for her family but for the accused.

"As angry as I get with them at times I am still very sad for them, they could have done anything, and they could have been anything."

(Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

edit: found her myspace. i'd let her spit in my mouth.

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewAlbums&friendID=40509177

FOR THOSE WHO HAVE BANK OF AMERICA DEBIT CARD AND HAS BEEN RAPED BY OVERDRAFT FEES

:)

http://clossonsettlement.com/

A settlement has been proposed in a class action lawsuit brought against Bank of America based on allegations of misconduct relating in part to its assessment of certain fees in relation to debit card transactions. The Court will hold a Fairness Hearing to consider whether the Settlement is fair, reasonable and adequate. After the hearing, the Court will decide whether to approve the Settlement.

The lawsuit claims Bank of America encouraged its customers to use Bank of America debit cards and increased the number of fees charged to customers using Bank of America debit cards through the order in which such transactions are posted and the account balance information it provides. The lawsuit also claims that Bank of America authorizes debit card transactions that will result in overdraft fees; fails to warn customers that specific debit card transactions may result in overdrawn accounts; posts debit card and other transactions in high-to-low order; and provides account balance information to customers that is not current, accurate or as advertised. In addition, the lawsuit claims that Bank of America’s customer agreements are unconscionable, and that Bank of America does not provide customers with copies of account agreements until after they open their accounts. Bank of America denies these claims and contends that it has fully complied with federal law, any applicable state laws, and its customer agreements, and also contends that it has other defenses to the claims in the lawsuit. In agreeing to settle, Bank of America does not admit it did anything wrong. The Court has not decided the merits of the lawsuit or any of the defenses.

WHO CAN CLAIM A PAYMENT see http://clossonsettlement.com/

IMPORTANT: claims must be Postmarked by May 1, 2009

You can claim a payment if at any time between December 6, 2000 and December 31, 2007, you were a United States resident, and:

1. Had an account at Bank of America accessible through a Bank of America debit card; AND

2. Paid at least one:

a)insufficient funds fee, overdraft fee, returned item fee, or similar fee, that was assessed to your account within five business days after a Bank of America debit card transaction either occurred or posted to your account; OR

b)overlimit fee or similar fee that was assessed for an account cycle in which a Bank of America debit card transaction either occurred or posted to your account

State of California - County of San Francisco website:

http://www.sfgov.org/site/courts_page.asp?id=77500

Case CGC-04-436877 or just enter 436877

• 4 weeks later...

apparently some girl from my high school set herself on fire

makes us central graduates look really bad. especially when you factor in that central is one of the top public schools in the nation (more info: wiki page for central)

but on with the news..

http://www.courierpress.com/news/2009/feb/25/teenagerburnedtryingto-kill-lice/

Teenager burned trying to kill lice

"There's dried blood on the door frame. A black spot is singed into the base of the tub. A burnt ceiling panel is perched against the wall.

All are remnants of a fire that sparked after Brooks soaked her hair in gasoline in an attempt Sunday night to kill lice she believed she recently caught."

"Fire officials say it happened shortly after 9 p.m. when crews were called to 1023 Park St. for a woman who had been burned. According to the 911 run card, dispatchers learned almost immediately that the injuries happened as the victim was trying to kill lice with gasoline.

Reading from a report, investigator Richard Howard said the fumes had built up in the apartment as Brooks let the gasoline set in. They were ignited by the pilot light of the nearby water heater.

Firefighters arrived to a gruesome scene. Howard said Brooks suffered second- and third-degree burns over more than half of her body. Skin was hanging off her, he said, and she was bloody."

"You don't use a flammable liquid that's not designed for that," he said. "There's medicines you can get from pharmacies."

Middleton said Young explained to him and Abshier that someone told Brooks gasoline would kill lice, so she tried it despite Young's objections.

"And it just went up," Abshier said, adding it was unclear who planted the idea. "We don't know that or why she went through with it. She's not dumb. She's actually pretty damn smart." (very questionable)