today's news

Chicken

seriously though, are people from Manitoba fucking stupid or somethin?

A couple months ago I was in Ypsilanti (Ann Arborish, MI) doing mediation work for some UAW shit, and some guy tried to rob a bank across the road from where I was saying he had a bomb on him.

Some arab guy in the bank just pulled out his gun on some Bruce Willis in Last Man Standing type shit and said not today.

I was watching the local news interview the guy, he wasn't shook or nothin, said he's seen the bowels of hell itself in the Lebanese army.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/16623012/detail.html

dude was bad ass.

i wondered that also, but i guess no one wanted to attack the guy with the hunting knife unarmed...and by the time they'd armed themselves with a tire iron/crowbar/whatever, the poor guy was already dead and headless.

It also said in the article that most people in the bus where asleep at the time it happened.

Imagine waking up to something like that happing a couple of feet away from you, I think shock is not to be discounted so lightly, ofcourse the only logical reaction afterwards is to ask "why didn't anybody help", but I think that when it's something as extreme as this, peoples selfdefense system just kicks in and takes over.

Also, if they someone takes a hunting knife to someones face with the intention to kill I think any help after the 1st or 2nd stab would come too late anyway...

This is truly the stuff of horror stories, it's just, almost too absurd to be true...

it really is hard to believe, or take seriously even...its too ridiculous

the fallout is what really bothers me though, people talking about upping security on busses...

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20080731/wpg_security_greyhound_080731/20080801?hub=CTVNewsAt11

"everything should be checked" etc. . . when are people going to stop? at what length will we go to ensure the security of the public? are people going to be frisked before entering malls? elevators? walking out the door? fuck off with this shit.

it's hard to fight against a "planned" attack and survive. and ya, shock. It's really is hard in regards to another person instead of our "fight and flight" survival. It requires actually thought, and a clear mind... and it isn't unreasonable to say that's too much to ask from the average person.

I just hate when people don't even call for help from the police or whatever, when someone is yelling help. Have to do that "Yell 'fire' instead of 'help." to get help. That's true bystander syndrome.

sigh.

it really is hard to believe, or take seriously even...its too ridiculous

the fallout is what really bothers me though, people talking about upping security on busses...

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20080731/wpg_security_greyhound_080731/20080801?hub=CTVNewsAt11

"everything should be checked" etc. . . when are people going to stop? at what length will we go to ensure the security of the public? are people going to be frisked before entering malls? elevators? walking out the door? fuck off with this shit.

What's the problem with upping security on greyhound and other charter buses?? I mean you could literally bring a gun, knife (in this case a big fucking knife apparently) ANYTHING on board for that matter and nobody would know. You get screened before you get on a plane, why the hell not on the bus? had these precautions been taken maybe this incident could have been avoided....don't see your point at all.

edit: and the saddest part of the whole thing is, being that this is Canada, buddy will probably be out walking the streets in 3-5 years.

Farmer has double arm transplant

German doctors have carried out a complete double arm transplant.

The patient was a 54-year-old farmer who lost his limbs in an accident six years ago.

The donor is believed to be a teenager who had died shortly before the surgery. Neither man's name has been released by the Munich clinic.

The 15-hour operation took place last week, and the patient is recovering well, though it could be two years before he can move his new hands.

Arm transplants have been carried out before - the first occurred in Austria in 2003 when a man received transplanted forearms and hands.

In this procedure, limbs were reattached just below the shoulder.

Reiner Gradinger, medical director at the Munich University Clinic where the operation involving 40 doctors, nurses and assistants took place over 15 hours last week, said: "The reattachment appears up to now to have proceeded optimally."

Surgeon Edgar Biemer said the greatest challenge was establishing blood flow between the farmer's body and muscles in the new arms because the muscles have a limited lifespan.

And he said: "We discussed with the patient that he would have to deal with the fact that his hands were from somebody else.

"But this was discussed before the first heart transplant, and in reality nobody really cared about that."

Doctors are monitoring the patient closely to make sure his body does not reject the new limbs.

What's the problem with upping security on greyhound and other charter buses?? I mean you could literally bring a gun, knife (in this case a big fucking knife apparently) ANYTHING on board for that matter and nobody would know. You get screened before you get on a plane, why the hell not on the bus? had these precautions been taken maybe this incident could have been avoided....don't see your point at all.

edit: and the saddest part of the whole thing is, being that this is Canada, buddy will probably be out walking the streets in 3-5 years.

Have you not noticed that random stabbings/shootings on buses don't happen very often? More lives could be saved (not to mention you'd save a hugely unnecessary hassle) by putting the money elsewhere.

Come to think of it, more security precautions wouldn't have prevented that at all. You have a crazy dude who killed one person, whether or not he does that on a bus is irrelevant. Buses aren't exactly a worthwhile subject for terrorism either, so I really don't see where you're coming from.

Essentially, introducing the infrastructure for enough security for it to be worthwhile would fuck up the system.

Have you not noticed that random stabbings/shootings on buses don't happen very often? More lives could be saved (not to mention you'd save a hugely unnecessary hassle) by putting the money elsewhere.

Come to think of it, more security precautions wouldn't have prevented that at all. You have a crazy dude who killed one person, whether or not he does that on a bus is irrelevant. Buses aren't exactly a worthwhile subject for terrorism either, so I really don't see where you're coming from.

Essentially, introducing the infrastructure for enough security for it to be worthwhile would fuck up the system.

Terrorism? I'm talking about the simple fact that you, me or anybody else could walk onto a greyhound and pack whatever weapon we see fit and get away with it. I've also witnessed a shitload of drug use on greyhound trips (a girl across from me on a trip to Vancouver from Calgary shot up, and another guy was thrown out of the restroom for smoking rocks) the bus attracts people of all sorts...but more specifically it attracts pieces of shit like this (it's cheap) how hard would it be to check bags/install metal detectors? As far as what you said about increased bus security not preventing this at all? it wouldn't have happened on the bus while en route and on the middle of the highway. There is no security on a confined area like a bus, if something does happen there isn't a whole lot you can do. Had this crime taken place in the street, it would have been an entire different story (more mobility for the victim, the potential chance for escape/by stander intervention/faster police response.) Weigh it out...

"We commend you for your level headedness and strength in the face of truly extreme circumstance. "

Not the best choice of words. http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20080731/wpg_security_greyhound_080731/20080801?hub=CTVNewsAt11

"We have word from people on the scene . . . that when the killer was alone with the body . . . that there may have been some small acts of cannibalism on the body," Oliver said.

Oliver said that police have not confirmed that, but have not denied it either.

Criminal profiler Pat Brown told CTV Newsnet that the killing may have been planned in advance, even if the choice of victim was completely random.

"This may have been planned -- to have this moment of rage," she said.

A number of witnesses referred to the suspect's actions as "robot-like." Brown said that fits the profile of some high-profile psychopaths who go into a "trance" while performing ghastly acts, ignoring the world around them.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20080731/Manitoba_bus_080731/20080731?hub=TopStories

Ugh, awful.

This is all too depressing.

Fla. man dials 911, complains his sub had no sauce

JACKSONVILLE, Fla.—The sauce for a spicy Italian sandwich was apparently a must have for one Florida man. The man, Reginald Peterson, called 911 twice after a sandwich shop left off the sauce.

Peterson initially called the emergency number Thursday so that officers could have his subs made correctly, according to a police report. The second call was to complain that police officers weren't arriving fast enough.

Subway workers told police that Peterson, 42, became belligerent and yelled when they were fixing his order. They locked him out of the store when he left to call police.

When officers arrived, they tried to calm Peterson and explain the proper use of 911. Those efforts failed, and he was arrested on a charge of making false 911 calls.

Peterson did not have a listed phone number.

When I read this I could only think of two things:

1. How weird a wrinkly 54 year old dude with a teenager's relatively young arms and hands would look.

2. How he'll be giving himself a stranger every time he faps until he can feel his hands again.

Farmer has double arm transplant

German doctors have carried out a complete double arm transplant.

The patient was a 54-year-old farmer who lost his limbs in an accident six years ago.

The donor is believed to be a teenager who had died shortly before the surgery. Neither man's name has been released by the Munich clinic.

The 15-hour operation took place last week, and the patient is recovering well, though it could be two years before he can move his new hands.

Arm transplants have been carried out before - the first occurred in Austria in 2003 when a man received transplanted forearms and hands.

In this procedure, limbs were reattached just below the shoulder.

Reiner Gradinger, medical director at the Munich University Clinic where the operation involving 40 doctors, nurses and assistants took place over 15 hours last week, said: "The reattachment appears up to now to have proceeded optimally."

Surgeon Edgar Biemer said the greatest challenge was establishing blood flow between the farmer's body and muscles in the new arms because the muscles have a limited lifespan.

And he said: "We discussed with the patient that he would have to deal with the fact that his hands were from somebody else.

"But this was discussed before the first heart transplant, and in reality nobody really cared about that."

Doctors are monitoring the patient closely to make sure his body does not reject the new limbs.

Michigan’s attorney general, Mike Cox, announced the new charges one day after Mr. Kilpatrick was sent to jail for violating the terms of his bond by traveling to Canada in July on city business. Each count carries a penalty of up to two years in prison or a $2,000 fine upon a conviction.

“It’s a very straightforward, simple case,” Mr. Cox said. “I cannot recall ever seeing — let alone hearing of — a situation where a police officer trying to serve a subpoena was assaulted.”

Moments before Mr. Cox’s announcement, a circuit court judge, Thomas E. Jackson, allowed the mayor to be released from jail after posting a $50,000 cash bond. He also took away the mayor’s travel privileges and ordered him to wear a global-positioning tether.

But Mr. Kilpatrick, 38, who is in his second term as mayor, could soon be headed back to jail, as assault charges would be another bond violation.

The incident that prompted the new charges happened July 24, a day after Mr. Kilpatrick traveled across the Detroit River to Windsor, Ontario, on city business without court approval, a violation of the terms of his bond in the perjury case. That violation is what prompted Judge Ronald Giles of the 36th District Court in Detroit to have Mr. Kilpatrick sent to the county jail Thursday.

Mr. Cox, a Republican who called for Mr. Kilpatrick to resign in March and who is widely expected to run for governor in 2010, decided to bring the assault charges after reviewing a report from the state police, who investigated the Democratic mayor’s run-in with the deputy sheriff, Brian White.

Mr. White, testified that he suffered a fractured hip after being shoved into his partner by Mr. Kilpatrick, who played football in college. Mr. White also said that Mr. Kilpatrick, who is black, had criticized his partner for working on the case and told her that as a black woman, “You shouldn’t even be riding in a car with a guy named White.”

On Thursday, Mr. Kilpatrick, 38, admitted to Judge Giles that he traveled in violation of his bond and apologized, promising to not make such a mistake again. He also noted that he had asked his young sons to watch the hearing so they could see their father admit wrongdoing.

But the judge responded that he must treat the mayor as he would any other defendant and revoked Mr. Kilpatrick’s bond.

“If it was not Kwame Kilpatrick sitting in that seat — if it was John Six-Pack sitting in the seat — what would I do?” Judge Giles said. “And the answer is simple.”

Mr. Kilpatrick’s office released a statement saying that his chief of staff, Kandia Milton, would serve as acting mayor. “Residents can be assured government will continue to operate as usual,” the statement said.

Mr. Kilpatrick’s trip to Windsor was related to his effort to sell Detroit’s half of the Detroit-Windsor Tunnel. He has said the city needs the money to avoid significant layoffs, but the City Council rejected the deal.

Mr. Kilpatrick, who is in his second term as mayor, told Judge Giles that he was acting in the city’s interest, and blamed his failure to seek court approval on the “tremendous strain and scrutiny” he is under while continuing to govern while fighting the charges against him.

The mayor’s jailing came nearly seven months after text messages between Mr. Kilpatrick and his former chief of staff, Christine Beatty, were published by The Detroit Free Press. The messages appeared to contradict testimony by Ms. Beatty and Mr. Kilpatrick in a lawsuit against the city denying that they were having an affair. In March, the Wayne County prosecutor charged Mr. Kilpatrick with eight felonies, and Ms. Beatty, who resigned after the scandal broke, with seven.

On Wednesday, Mr. Kilpatrick and Ms. Beatty agreed to waive their right to a preliminary hearing that had been scheduled for September. Experts who have been following the case believe the move was intended to prevent more damaging text messages and other evidence from surfacing before trial.

If Mr. Kilpatrick is convicted on any of the felonies he is charged with, he would lose his job as mayor under the city charter. The Detroit City Council has begun several other processes aimed at getting him out of office, however.

Council members are preparing to hold hearings into whether the charter allows them to remove Mr. Kilpatrick on grounds other than a felony conviction, and they also have asked Michigan Gov. Jennifer M. Granholm to invoke that gives her the power to oust city officials with sufficient cause.

Ms. Granholm has set Sept. 3 as the date to hear a defense from Mr. Kilpatrick before making a decision.

what in the fuck? am i reading this right? Mayor of Detroit is currently out on bail with a GPS tracking bracelet on!?

WASHINGTON August 10, 2008 (AP)

The Associated Press

Scientists say they are a step closer to developing materials that could render people and objects invisible.

Researchers have demonstrated for the first time they were able to cloak three-dimensional objects using artificially engineered materials that redirect light around the objects. Previously, they only have been able to cloak very thin two-dimensional objects.

The findings, by scientists at the University of California, Berkeley, led by Xiang Zhang, are to be released later this week in the journals Nature and Science.

The new work moves scientists a step closer to hiding people and objects from visible light, which could have broad applications, including military ones.

People can see objects because they scatter the light that strikes them, reflecting some of it back to the eye. Cloaking uses materials, known as metamaterials, to deflect radar, light or other waves around an object, like water flowing around a smooth rock in a stream.

Metamaterials are mixtures of metal and circuit board materials such as ceramic, Teflon or fiber composite. They are designed to bend visible light in a way that ordinary materials don't. Scientists are trying to use them to bend light around objects so they don't create reflections or shadows.

It differs from stealth technology, which does not make an aircraft invisible but reduces the cross-section available to radar, making it hard to track.

The research was funded in part by the U.S. Army Research Office and the National Science Foundation's Nano-Scale Science and Engineering Center.

Spain's 'Slant-Eye' Team Photo Stirs Ire

Spanish Ad Pic 'Divisive' but Unlikely to Jeopardize Madrid's Bid to Host 2016 Games

By DAVID SCHOETZ Aug. 12, 2008—

A pre-Olympics "slant-eye" pose by the Spanish men's basketball team could leave the gold medal contenders with a black eye as they compete in Beijing.

Spanish-ChineseBballTeam.jpg

An advertisement for the Spanish Basketball Federation that appeared in the Spanish daily sports newspaper Marca featured Spain's 15 national team members in uniform pulling back the skin on their eyelids, with smiles on their faces. The team photo was taken at a center court bearing a dragon logo.

It's a racially pejorative pose not often associated with goodwill in the United States and many other countries, where a similar gesture is more likely to be seen on a school playground than coming from Olympic statesman.

"It's something that I haven't seen since I was a kid," said Sarah Smith, a spokesman for the Organization of Chinese Americans in Washington, D.C. "I can't speak for what is considered funny in Spain. I don't know if it has the same impact that it would here. It's clearly racist, and not even in a jovial way."

Smith said she would expect more from a group of Olympians, particularly when many of them have played professionally in the United States.

"This is coming from grown men who are supposed to be representing their nation," Smith said.

The Chinese-American organization also issued a statement from deputy director George Wu, calling the photo "disturbing" and "divisive."

"It is unfortunate that this type of imagery would rear its head during something that is supposed to be a time of world unity," Wu said.

Attempts by ABC News to get a comment from Marca, the Madrid-based newspaper that published the ad, were unsuccessful. Madrid is one of the four finalist cities to host the 2016 games -- facing off against Chicago, Tokyo and Rio De Janiero.

As the controversial photo makes the rounds on the Internet, speculation has begun that the gesture many consider racially insensitive toward the Asian host country -- and anyone of Eastern Asian descent -- could jeopardize the Madrid 2016 bid.

Rob Livingstone, a Toronto-based journalist who founded a Web site devoted to tracking the International Olympic Committee's host city deliberations, said the poor judgment by a small group of Spanish athletes is unlikely to derail the city's Olympic hopes.

"Typically, these kind of things have little impact on the bids themselves," Livingstone said, citing a voting body of 100 members driven by a broad range of political and business agendas -- not individual incidents, however unflattering they may be.

"Lots of people are asking, 'How is this going to impact Madrid 2016?' My reaction is it won't," Livingstone said. "Whether or not it should is another issue."

Livingstone pointed to Beijing as an example of the host city that has faced stiff criticism for its human rights record in Tibet from the moment it expressed interest in hosting the games right through today's Olympic action.

The IOC will announce the 2016 host city in October.

This is not Spain's first racial controversy involving sport. In 2004, FIFA, the world ruling body in soccer, fined the Spanish Football Federation nearly $90,000 after Spanish fans showered black English players with racist chants during a "friendly" match in Madrid.

The governing body for Formula One auto racing announced in April an anti-racism campaign after British driver Lewis Hamilton, who is black, was racially taunted by racing fans in Madrid. A group, wearing dark makeup on their faces, wore shirts that read "Hamilton's Family."

Four members of the Spanish national team play professional basketball for NBA teams, including Los Angeles Lakers superstar Pau Gasol and his brother Marc Gasol. Spain won the gold medal in the 2006 World Championships.

The controversy about the team's advertisement had not reached Beijing, according to ABC News reporters covering the Olympic Games, before today's matchup between the Spanish and Chinese teams.

Gasol led Spain to an overtime victory after his teammates erased a 14 point deficit in the third quarter. Chinese sensation Yao Ming fouled out after another game in which a foot fracture continued to hold back his play.

Basketball is wildly popular in China, where the 7-foot, 6-inch Ming is a national celebrity and an estimated 300 million people -- roughly the population of the United States -- follow the sport.

Copyright © 2008 ABC News Internet Ventures

15bigfoot.xlarge1.jpg

Bigfoot Global

Two Bigfoot hunters, Matthew Whitton and Rick Dyer, say they have the carcass of the creature, left. From left, Mr. Whitton; Tom Biscardi, a Bigfoot booster; and Mr. Dyer.

Published: August 14, 2008

SAN FRANCISCO — In the hairy and hoax-filled history of Bigfoot, those who believe in the mythical beast have offered up all manner of evidence, from grainy photos to hoarse recordings to tracks of those aforementioned feet.

But on Friday at a hotel in Palo Alto, Calif., a pair of Bigfoot hunters say they will present what they contend is the most definitive proof yet of an animal that science says does not exist: DNA evidence and photographs of a dead specimen they say they found in a remote swath of woods in northern Georgia.

“It was very frightening at first,†said Rick Dyer, 31, a former corrections officer who — coincidentally — runs a business that offers Bigfoot tours. “And it got even more frightening when you saw the others.â€

Indeed, Mr. Dyer said he and his partner, Matthew Whitton, saw three more of the beasts nearby as they dragged the body of said creature out of the woods. Moreover, Mr. Dyer says he has video clips and photographs to prove it.

One photograph provided to the news media showed what resembled a gorilla — or maybe an old sheepskin rug — lying twisted in a freezer, with a dollop of intestines protruding from its belly.

“There’s a lot of comment being made that it looks fake, or it looks like a suit,†Mr. Dyer said. “But these people wasn’t there when I was sweating, pulling this thing through the woods.â€

Tom Biscardi, a longtime Bigfoot booster from the Bay Area, who traveled to Georgia to see the animal, said he was “150 percent†sure that the carcass was a Bigfoot, an American Indian legend whose modern fame dates to an elaborate “footprint†hoax perpetrated at a Northern California logging camp in 1958.

“This is ‘Eureka!’ man,†said Mr. Biscardi, whose operations include a Bigfoot Web site, a Bigfoot merchandise line and a Bigfoot Internet radio show. “I touched it.â€

Both Mr. Biscardi and Mr. Dyer said they expected skeptics to discount the find, which is being kept in a freezer in an undisclosed location outside Atlanta. But they promised even more proof, including video, a DNA test and, of course, a mission to capture one of the big guys.

“I’m not asking anyone to believe us,†Mr. Dyer said. “I’m just asking them to sit and watch, because you’re going to eat your words.â€

large_gunsL.jpg

HOUSTON (Reuters) - A Texas school district will let teachers bring guns to class this fall, the district's superintendent said on Friday, in what experts said appeared to be a first in the United States.

The board of the small rural Harrold Independent School District unanimously approved the plan and parents have not objected, said the district's superintendent, David Thweatt.

School experts backed Thweatt's claim that Harrold, a system of about 110 students 150 miles northwest of Fort Worth, may be the first to let teachers bring guns to the classroom.

Thweatt said it is a matter of safety.

"We have a lock-down situation, we have cameras, but the question we had to answer is, 'What if somebody gets in? What are we going to do?" he said. "It's just common sense."

Teachers who wish to bring guns will have to be certified to carry a concealed handgun in Texas and get crisis training and permission from school officials, he said.

Recent school shootings in the United States have prompted some calls for school officials to allow students and teachers to carry legally concealed weapons into classrooms.

The U.S. Congress once barred guns at schools nationwide, but the U.S. Supreme Court struck the law down, although state and local communities could adopt their own laws. Texas bars guns at schools without the school's permission.

(Reporting by Jim Forsyth in San Antonio; writing by Bruce Nichols in Houston, editing by Vicki Allen)

Puerto Rico corpse kept upright for 3-day wake

SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico (AP) - A Puerto Rican man has been granted his wish to remain standing—even in death. A funeral home used a special embalming treatment to keep the corpse of 24-year-old Angel Pantoja Medina standing upright for his three-day wake.

Dressed in a Yankees baseball cap and sunglasses, Pantoja was mourned by relatives while propped upright in his mother's living room.

His brother Carlos told the El Nuevo Dia newspaper the victim had long said he wanted to be upright for his own wake: "He wanted to be happy, standing."

The owner of the Marin Funeral Home, Damaris Marin, told The Associated Press the mother asked him to fulfill her dead son's last wish.

Pantoja was found dead Friday underneath a bridge in San Juan and buried Monday. Police are investigating.

Copyright 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

here's a link to pics:

http://www.breitbart.com/image.php?id=app-e4342933-128e-4f7c-9d8e-0ab6e2c2e871&show_article=1&article_id=D92LHCK80

http://www.breitbart.com/image.php?id=app-257da530-4965-450b-95b9-7d89f9901971&show_article=1&article_id=D92LHCK80

Puerto Rico corpse kept upright for 3-day wake

SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico (AP) - A Puerto Rican man has been granted his wish to remain standing—even in death. A funeral home used a special embalming treatment to keep the corpse of 24-year-old Angel Pantoja Medina standing upright for his three-day wake.

Dressed in a Yankees baseball cap and sunglasses, Pantoja was mourned by relatives while propped upright in his mother's living room.

His brother Carlos told the El Nuevo Dia newspaper the victim had long said he wanted to be upright for his own wake: "He wanted to be happy, standing."

The owner of the Marin Funeral Home, Damaris Marin, told The Associated Press the mother asked him to fulfill her dead son's last wish.

Pantoja was found dead Friday underneath a bridge in San Juan and buried Monday. Police are investigating.

Copyright 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

here's a link to pics:

http://www.breitbart.com/image.php?id=app-e4342933-128e-4f7c-9d8e-0ab6e2c2e871&show_article=1&article_id=D92LHCK80

http://www.breitbart.com/image.php?id=app-257da530-4965-450b-95b9-7d89f9901971&show_article=1&article_id=D92LHCK80

GAH! That is freaky! Especially the second picture of his brother kissing his cheek :eek:

Dead guy in the corner..... *shudders*

ATLANTA (AP) — Turns out Bigfoot was just a rubber suit. Two researchers on a quest to prove the existence of Bigfoot say that the carcass encased in a block of ice — handed over to them for an undisclosed sum by two men who claimed to have found it — was slowly thawed out, and discovered to be a rubber gorilla outfit.The revelation comes just days after a much ballyhooed news conference was held in California to proclaim that the remains of the creature were found in the North Georgia mountains was the legendary man-ape.

Steve Kulls, executive director of squatchdetective.com and host of Squatchdetective Radio, says in a posting on a Web site run by Bigfoot researcher Tom Biscardi that as the "evidence" was thawed, the claim began to unravel as a giant hoax.

First, the hair sample was burned and "melted into a ball uncharacteristic of hair," Kulls said in the posting.

The thawing process was sped up and the exposed head was found to be "unusually hollow in one small section." An hour of thawing later and the feet were exposed — and they were found to be made of rubber.

Matt Whitton, an officer who has been on medical leave from the Clayton County Police Department, and Rick Dyer, a former Georgia corrections officer, announced the find in early July on YouTube videos and a Web site.

"Everyone who has talked down to us is going to eat their words," Whitton said at the time.

Phone calls to Whitton and Dyer went unreturned on Tuesday. But the voicemail recording for their Bigfoot Tip Line — which proclaims they search for leprechauns and the Loch Ness monster — has been updated and announcing they're also in search of "big cats and dinosaurs. If you see any of those, give us a call."

On Tuesday, Clayton County Police Chief Jeff Turner said he has not spoken to Whitton but processed paperwork to fire him.

"Once he perpetrated a fraud, that goes into his credibility and integrity," Turner said. "He has violated the duty of a police officer."