SELLING DEADSTOCK EVISU sz 32. PICS

allacedout

Quote:

The bag says EVIS... isnt it supposed to be EVISU? Or is it just because they're used to be called Evis?

I know Japanese people call them EVIS and not EVISU.

--- Original message by superposition on Sep 15, 2005 04:11 PM

yes, they did used to be called evis. some of the jeans still come in bags and whatnot that say evis. it means the same thing. some older models also have tags that say it. i dont understand why they would do this after the name change but i have seen it a few times.

Edited by adsurgo on Sep 15, 2005 at 04:48 PM

Quote:
Quote:

The bag says EVIS... isnt it supposed to be EVISU? Or is it just because they're used to be called Evis?

yes, they did used to be called evis. some of the jeans still come in bags and whatnot that say evis. it means the same thing. some older models also have tags that say it. i dont understand why they would do this after the name change but i have seen it a few times.

--- Original message by adsurgo on Sep 15, 2005 04:47 PM

The name change was due to a lawsuit with Levis. Evis (the original name) was just a pun on Levis and the japanese god "Evis(u)". Levis threatened Evis and thus, the name became Evisu. Remember, the original aim of Evisu was Levis reproduction.

"Remember, the original aim of Evisu was Levis reproduction." True. Levi's forced Evis to change the name, and to drop the Red Tab from overseas versions (Levi's hadn't trademarked the red tab at the right time in Japan, so other manufacturers can use red tabs there).

Evis also did full-on Lee and Wrangler replicas, too - whereas the Levi's-style jeans had a painted Leiv's arcuate, the Lee replicas had a painted Lazy S arcuate...

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The name change was due to a lawsuit with Levis. Evis (the original name) was just a pun on Levis and the japanese god "Evis(u)". Levis threatened Evis and thus, the name became Evisu. Remember, the original aim of Evisu was Levis reproduction.

--- Original message by peteyross on Sep 16, 2005 12:04 PM

i know. levis actually did try to sue them. but the courts figured it was irrelevant seeing as the companies were halfway around the world and for different markets.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

--- Original message by peteyross on Sep 16, 2005 12:04 PM

i know. levis actually did try to sue them. but the courts figured it was irrelevant seeing as the companies were halfway around the world and for different markets.

--- Original message by adsurgo on Sep 16, 2005 12:56 PM

Not true. Evis had to remove all of the back pocket "red tabs" so as not to be confused for Levis jeans. Also, considering the Evis was attempting to enter the London and NYC markets on an exlcusive basis, they couldn't afford a legal battle with Levis, a company with much deeper pockets than Evis.

Levi's threatened Evis in the UK re the Red Tab in the early 90s. Evis's importers had to remove the red tabs. Even now, when they come in as grey imports, retailers are often forced to remove them. But Evis/Evisu retained the red tab in Japan, as they still do, because it wasn't trademarked there.

The jeans look all present and correct to me, and the bag is -or at least , was - a standard Japanese Evisya Tailor store take out. I have two pairs of Evisu that I bought at the Daikanyama store Tokyo as an induction to premium denim when I lived there, Six years ago. The first - a non selvedge zip fly limited edition with a crazy butt patch, blue hand painted arcuates and a red Evis tab - came in the exact same packaging. I still have it in mint condition and dug it out the bottom of my wardrobe to check.