Nikon D40 or Canon Rebel XT?

Fingathing

Which DSLR?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Which DSLR?

• Nikon D40
    • Canon Rebel XT

the technical differences between these cameras are barely distinguishable

if you know what youre doing, youll take a good photo with either one. its the size, weight and user interface preferences that seem to tip consumers either way

i second the comment on the D300, but you should probably opt for the D40, XT or D80 before upgrading to a camera like that

d40 then, it's simple to use and a great camera especially for the price. the lenses for either camera are roughly in the same price range, although some people choose canon because you can use most nikon lenses on canon cameras i think you need to get an adapter though.

as far as which lens is better, different people will give you different opinions. i personally use nikon lenses and have had no problem with them and i'm very pleased with the results.

• 2 weeks later...

i just bought a D60 (literaly took it out of the box 10 minutes ago), it's basically the same as the D40, but I wanted the VR kit lens. I was deciding between that and the XSi, and went with the Nikon b/c i liked the feel better, and from what i've read, there are better lenses available.

I'd go for the Nikon. Especially if you'll be getting a nice flash. Nikon has a good flash system, and you can buy old Nikon flashes on the cheap (they'll also work on the canob rebel xti body, but for all of the features included in the newer nikon flashes you need a nikon body). Then again, I own an xti and stand by its quality. It's really up to you.

Im not too familiar with nikon, but apparently the Nikon D40 has the autofocus sys. built into the body as opposed to the lens(canon), so some lenses that can be used on the D40 cant be used on other Nikon cameras

Im not too familiar with nikon, but apparently the Nikon D40 has the autofocus sys. built into the body as opposed to the lens(canon), so some lenses that can be used on the D40 cant be used on other Nikon cameras

The other way around, more likely.

The D40 sacrificed the built in auto focus motor for it's lighter weight and smaller size - so some of the older lenses you might not be able to use, and if so, will only be able to use it in manual focus mode.

The D40 is a great entry level camera and I'm probably just being biased, but I'd go with the D40 as Nikon has a great user interface and it is quite the easy camera to learn to shoot photography with. I had one and learned quite a bit from it.

Now I am selling it, just waiting for a buyer.