College Acceptance Letters

Mr Calvin Oscar

I got in Wharton but decided to go with the College and take Chemistry instead. I have to say that it might have been the best/worst choice I ever made. Several of friends and acquaintances got jobs at Bear Sterns, Goldman, etc after graduation but are now unemployed following the collapse of these companies. I decided to go the Science route and am now deciding between Grad schools for Biochem. But I'm sure it'll take me 10 years before I make nearly as much as some of my friends did right out of undergrad

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's always interesting to see these admissions decisions:

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/harvard-university/681434-official-harvard-university-2013-decisions-thread.html

For the most part, the only dudes getting in with a sub-2200 SAT I (and generally less than exceptional academics) are under represented minorities and those with legacy.

I feel for "canadianftw" (first on page 3), got outright rejected everywhere with a near perfect IB.

Decision: Waitlisted

Objective:

* SAT I (breakdown): 800/800/800 E11

* ACT: n/a

* SAT II: 800/800/800 Math II, Literature, US History

* Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 3.97, ~97 on my school's 100-pt scale

* Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): 3/425

* AP (place score in parenthesis): Human Geography (5), World History (5), European History (5), US History (5), Physics B (5), Statistics (5)

* IB (place score in parenthesis): n/a

* Senior Year Course Load: AP Chem, AP Macro, AP US Government, AP Psychology, AP Literature, AP Environmental Science

* Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): 1st in big national essay contest, NMF, TASP Finalist (idk if this counts)

Subjective:

* Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis): Creative Writing (some minor awards, but this is my huge passion and I sent in a supplement); Science Olympiad (officer for 2 years, 16 medals at time of app, led team to Nationals, organized local tournament, coded website, etc...); Art (lessons for 4 years, sent in suppplement); Model UN; NHS; Beta; MARC Youth Leadership Program

* Job/Work Experience: couple of months at Kumon, restaurant since June 08

* Volunteer/Community service: ~100 hours with NHS/Beta

* Summer Activities: UChicago summer session, trip for aforementioned essay contest, work

* Essays: Common App - my love for writing from the perspective of a younger self; Harvard - how a medical condition affected my view of the world

* Teacher Recommendation: should've both been great

* Counselor Rec: very positive but not very informative

* Additional Rec: from boss at work

* Interview: fantastic. my interviewer said a billion times that she thought I'd be perfect for Harvard and avowed to write me a great report.

Decision: Accepted

Objective:

* SAT I (breakdown): M: 690 CR: 630 W: 600

* ACT:N/A

* SAT II: Chem: 770 Bio: 720 Math2: 660

* Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0):4.56/4.6

* Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable):top 1%

* AP (place score in parenthesis):Ap Chem 5

* IB (place score in parenthesis): N/A

* Senior Year Course Load: 6 Ap courses

* Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.):school, community and national awards in academic and service

Makes me want to find a negro to give birth to my chillun so that they have a chance at getting into Harvard.

My financial aid package is pretty good. Parent contribution is $19k a year, but my dad is saying that the most he can pay is $12k, which makes no sense given our income (well off, in theory at least). I'm willing to take loans, and I know Wharton is Wharton, but realistically at what point do loans become too big of a burden to be worth it?

Is $30k, even $40k a manageable figure?

edit: I know that's almost a stupid question, and I'm still shitting my pants at having this opportunity, but at what point is undergrad debt too much?

My financial aid package is pretty good. Parent contribution is $19k a year, but my dad is saying that the most he can pay is $12k, which makes no sense given our income (well off, in theory at least). I'm willing to take loans, and I know Wharton is Wharton, but realistically at what point do loans become too big of a burden to be worth it?

edit: I know that's almost a stupid question, and I'm still shitting my pants at having this opportunity, but at what point is undergrad debt too much?

who gives a SHIT how much you rack up in debt? it's wharton man. shit is insane. you should be willing to blow people in the commons for cash to stay there.

With a Wharton degree, $40k it really isn't an issue if you are hard-working and sociable, you should realistically make 60k+ a year straight out of undergrad with the potential for much more and if in like 5 years you decide you want to get an MBA or JD, then at that point you should have put a sizable dent into that debt.

I know there are studies that show the earning potential comparable students who choose between elite schools and state schools is about the same. However, Wharton is special and the networking and fraternity of Whartonites is worth a lot

If yo a good trader and have connections in the banking industry you can make like a 200k starting salary. Probably be making like 500k by the time your 30.

But your gonna have to work like a 100 hours a weeks so yeah.

Edit: wait nvm thats for MBA

undergrad makes like 65 as a base salary not including bonuses

On second thought: UCSD is offering 8k a year (out of state)

And I'd way rather be in San Diego than Boston, but I'd be graduating with about twice as much debt if I went to UCSD. Don't know what to do. Help.

well. UCSD is ranked a lot higher. but being from california, personally, i wouldn't go to a UC except LA or Cal, but i'm a social science major, UCSD is amazing for real actual sciences, like bio and medical related stuff. that's a tough one. being that you aren't from CA it might be nice to have the change.

• 2 weeks later...