QUALITY suits

poliopoliopolio

i have to go to a funeral this weekend and thus need an OTR suit ASAP. but i figure since i should have a suit that fits me anyways, i may as well get a nice one (none of this Zara, H&M shit). can anyone give me pricepoints on the usual suspects (dior, jil sander, black/purple label, dolce, etc.)? input as to quality would be appreciated as well.

i'd probably have to wear this to use this for work stuff, too, so no 1-button all black, shiny-lapel/drop-crotch knee-length jacket with leg o'mutton sleeve avant garde shit. just standard, minimal, etc. etc. i tried searching but honestly don't have time to look for pricing on all of it. anyone?

Suits off the rack that I like

Ralph Lauren - newer versions have a more European cut. The cloth and cut is well done for the price.

Richard James - again, more of a Saville Row cut but nice but more business rather than formal/funeral.

Dior - suits are very well made despite what people will tell you but yes the quality has been skimmed for later years than pre-05.

Jil Sander - greater quality but the cut is a bit too "rigid"

Dolce Gabbana - these are actually quite well made for the price. The trick is to get one on sale for half price, etc. The cut and cloth is more "Italian"...

Of all the suits recommended, I'd grab the Ralph Laurens, especially if its formal, they might be discounted/on sale and the cut in recent years is pretty European, i.e. slim but not overly so.

sorry. i'm going to a funeral tomorrow. jil sander is vg in fit and quality, but of the designer suits, prada is up there, as they use very good fabric from traditional suit makers like issaia.

You don't know shit. Prada has all many of their suits made in China and then "finished" in Italy. The quality is pretty bad for the price.

This is bad timing but you should see if you can find Rag & Bone. I was looking at some of their suits and they are very nice and under $1000 (jacket around $525, trousers $275). It might be hard to find something in black but if you try every stocklist in town you might get lucky.

kunk's point is somewhat valid. i've never seen nor heard of a suit actually falling apart, regardless of the price, regardless of how old it is (unless worn by a homeless person). basically all you're going to be doing in it is sitting or standing around on occasion. i'd worry more about cut and the hand of the cloth over durability.

kunk's point is somewhat valid. i've never seen nor heard of a suit actually falling apart, regardless of the price, regardless of how old it is (unless worn by a homeless person). basically all you're going to be doing in it is sitting or standing around on occasion. i'd worry more about cut and the hand of the cloth over durability.

yeah so you want a shitty suit that the fabric is going to look horrible after 10 wears?

who wants that, no one

Isaia is a good suggestions, as is RL (although I personnally dislike his stuff) and Dolce. Other Italian cuts that are pretty good: Borelli, Attolini. You could also check out the Paul Smith mainline and London (more business) offerings.

Some designer suits that deliver IMHO:

Margiela line 14

Jil Sander (tailor made line)

You don't know shit. Prada has all many of their suits made in China and then "finished" in Italy. The quality is pretty bad for the price.

I'm not going to disagree with you overall but Prada offers suits at various quality levels and I've seen some that are fully canvassed, had some handwork and high quality (and hard to get) wools. The price points are of the 2.5-3.5K variety.

i ended up running over to saks on my lunch and getting a pretty basic dolce suit. it was actually relatively inexpensive. i tried on a jil sander suit i liked but there was something about the color that put me off. tried on some paul smith that were ok, a gucci that i hated, and some others. i wanted to try on the black label but they didn't have my size in any mourning/business-appropriate shades. i'll post pics when i get a chance. thanks for all the help!

I'm not going to disagree with you overall but Prada offers suits at various quality levels and I've seen some that are fully canvassed, had some handwork and high quality (and hard to get) wools. The price points are of the 2.5-3.5K variety.

heh. "i'm not going to disagree with you, but you're wrong"

heh. "i'm not going to disagree with you, but you're wrong"

You're misquoting me; I said "overall" which means I agree with what he said but mentioned some exceptions that are really not that common considering the breath of Prada offerings and salespoints.

Oh and my funeral suit is also a Dolce (black, 2 buttons, singled breasted, 1 vent)