Off Bowery Productions 2007

Tronics

It's been allover the net but i haven't seen anything posted on here recently.

I know alot of peeps on here have their ear to the ground, so please discuss anything associated with Off Bowery Productions here.

So far we have the Heron Preston interview;

Part 1

Plus some a recent NY Times feature;

the_wreck_center_off_bowery_nyt.jpg

Residents of a sleepy SoHo block aren’t sure what to make of the Wreck Center, a store/performance space/art installation that has invaded their neighborhood like a post-apocalyptic circus. Decorated with graffiti, gold paint and 5,800 feet of Day-Glo masking tape, the space, designed by Rafael de Cárdenas, pops, to say the least. “Finally one came up to me,†said Aaron Bondaroff (above), the project’s ringleader, “and told me it was about time someone did something cool in the neighborhood again.†Until the end of February, when the building that houses the Wreck Center is torn down, Mr. Bondaroff, the downtown impresario better known as A-Ron, has planned a series of invite-only book signings, launch parties, art and music shows, even a little stand-up comedy; a storefront will sell the wares of all involved. “And as soon as everyone catches on,†he said, “it’ll be over.†That is, until May, when the Playboy channel broadcasts a documentary on the whole affair.

i dont really care for this temporary guerrilla appointment only bullshit.

the space is nice, the product is not as nice, events could be happening any number of other places.

i'd rather see aaron build something permanent up from the bottom again and stick with it... this wreck room nonsense is a waste of time. builds hype, and what the scene needs is integrity, not hype.

MODS, move to CULTURE.

it's funny that his reference for the "soho of old" is the early 90s. and ironic that soho was redeveloped to stop white flight out of the city and is pretty much urban gentrification case #1. why he would want to return to the scene of the crime is anyone's guess but i have to say outside of the "i wouldn't join a club that would haveme as a member" factor, what's the point?

exactly.

putting the same group of people in a situation with feigned exclusivity doesnt all of a sudden make their grouping any better.

i dont dislike dash, or ARE, not such a fan of the virgins, but, the truth is, this is

pretty lame in the end. and if it really does end up with a playboy channel doc, then

i've lost all hope.

someone else want to try and revive nyc?

^ yeah because it's totally unwarranted that his hobby/influences as shown in his blog are expressed via his avatar and sig. he should be more creative like you and put nothing instead.

as far as the topic at hand, the whole thing feels uninspired and contrived, the products and the design of the place remind me of those "fresh prince" hats, supposed to be edgey and cool but ultimately corny. i almost bought the whole pop-up shop, inviting all his favorite artists and performers thing because i remember that NY times article about a-ron's philosophy being turning his lifestyle into a business but the playboy stizz makes me second guess. oh well, back to dickriding supreme

• 2 months later...

I respect the dude but this just seems so manufactured, right down to the documentary on Playboy TV. This whole wreck center thing is just so self important. We get that you have cool friends, we get that you know bands that aren't popular anywhere else, but who doesn't? Given enough capital any "scene" could be turned into some internet gift shop like he's doing with the LES. If you really wanted to build up a scene you wouldn't turn it into a cool kids only club.

I'm sure in a few week's well see all the Fresh Prince Juniors and pigeon toed hipster chicks running around in this stuff. whatever!

good commentary dead wizard.

i somewhat dig the two cultural references he brings up in his clothing (that I at least recognize). the "OBP" logo as a play off the "BDP" logo (a.k.a. Boogie Down Productions: KRS-One's crew for those that don't know) and the "where have all the junkies gone" graphic as a direct quote of the Village Voice billboard hanging on Bowery a couple months back (dont know if its still there).

yeah they look really cheap. nothing spectacular at all

bandwagoner.

the old anything production was always a hair above (better t-shirt quality than supreme, cyc fleece)... not sure if this has remained intact. for me, this idea that wearing a t-shirt has anything to do with rebellion is one that i gave up before i was old enough to drink legally. it's the same problem i have with the last batch of supreme t-shirts. i want to know how many people above the age of majority that bought a "start something" t-shirt voted in their party's primary and will vote this november. anyway, it's too bad cos anything always managed to work some cool ideas and designs in amongst their "statement" pieces.

what is vaguely interesting about this whole off bowery thing is the text on the website lookbook about this collection being one last goodbye to the underground before "going pop." hmmmm..........