Leathercrafting Creations: PYC

OptimaDies

Just a really quick question.

A good friend of mine is in the US - in Chicago. And she is staying close to Horween. So now I'm trying to convince her to buy some Chromexcel or what other good stuff, that they have. And maybe some more shell of course.

But does Horween offer sales to private persons directly from the tannery?

Any help is much appreciated

Ask her to talk to Eric at Tannery Row. It's a sub division of Horween, where they cater to private individuals. I don't know if she can directly make an order in person, but it doesn't hurt to ask. His email is:

[email protected]

Despite the advantages with building relationship directly to Horween.

How about sourcing some Shells from their agents? I ordered once through China although the variety of colors are not that much.

Edited by lucaas

Despite the advantages with building relationship directly to Horween.

How about sourcing some Shells from their agents? I ordered once through China although the variety of colors are not that much.

Just be careful of fake shell- I've heard it's out there. For me personally, ordering Horween from China would feel a bit backwards, and probably would be way more expensive. I've just learned to treat them like a waitress at a super busy bar- as soon as you get your drink, order another, because it's gonna be a while and you'll need it when it comes.

Edit: some photos (color's off, eyes are blurry from a long day)

heat branded chromexcel

7095314933_6a8e05a427_c.jpg

all those belts ready to go

6949243470_c681dc4945_c.jpg

Edited by corter

Im going to try my first bi-fold wallet this weekend. Is the inside long piece cut the same length as the outside piece or a little smaller? Ive been looking for a tutorial or template to follow but cant find a basic one.

Edited by JustinPHL

Im going to try my first bi-fold wallet this weekend. Is the inside long piece cut the same length as the outside piece or a little smaller? Ive been looking for a tutorial or template to follow but cant find a basic one.

Buy just one or two of the books, that Ray recommend a bit earlier. You'll learn so much from them, when it comes to creating wallets.

I'm still learning how to make them, as the right construction. I'm on my thrid proto of a very, very basic wallet, and I'm getting there. I'll post pictures soon.

Eric

Thank you for your advice man. Well, the thing is John at Horween recommend me to contact their China representative. So, I just tried my luck from it.

Anyway, never want to order from him (China rep) anymore again. He's giving a really bad service based on my experience.

Why don't you try taking a look at existing wallets or pictures of them and try to figure out the best way to do it? Books and tutorials are great but imo one of the most fun part of leatherwork is observing and coming up with your own interpretations of designs.

Eric

Thank you for your advice man. Well, the thing is John at Horween recommend me to contact their China representative. So, I just tried my luck from it.

Anyway, never want to order from him (China rep) anymore again. He's giving a really bad service based on my experience.

what are you looking for? I've got a shit ton of shell right now because they sent me a double order-if you need a specific amount of black or #8 I might be able to send you some. just PM me info.

Hey guys,

I'm new to this forum and thought I'd introduce myself by showing some of the leather stuff I have made so far. I mainly make things for myself and occasionally for my girlfriend and friends. Some of the designs I have found somewhere else.

I have gone through this whole post in some hours and must say I am more than impressed about the things you people make.

So here's some of mine.

Cheers,

ll.

51125896.jpg

15929183.jpg

34137997.jpg

43023092.jpg

94164790.jpg

98350577.jpg

64514577.jpg

20494070.jpg

25308095.jpg

54783415.jpg

that bag looks really great dude, except the rounded corners and raw edge on the flaps stick out like a sore thumb to me in the images. Maybe just work on getting that cut nice and smooth? or burnishing/edge koting? It's such a small detail, but it really is the first thing my eyes are drawn to unfortunately. With that done though, you've got an extremely nice looking set there

that bag looks really great dude, except the rounded corners and raw edge on the flaps stick out like a sore thumb to me in the images. Maybe just work on getting that cut nice and smooth? or burnishing/edge koting? It's such a small detail, but it really is the first thing my eyes are drawn to unfortunately. With that done though, you've got an extremely nice looking set there

Yea, thats one of the things I'm working on for my future pieces. I'll probably do a finish and a burnish on it, just tough to get a good edge on retan stuff.

Funny too, I might be having a couple of bags alongside your wallets over at Ball and Buck, I've been talking to mark and the guys. Putting together a sample for them right now. Thanks for the advice!

I'm just super impressed with the construction of the bag, but I don't think you'll be able to burnish it. Maybe just focus on the clean cut and maybe use edgekote or someting similar, if you really feel you need it. If you're having troubles rounding the corners, then you might have some luck cutting it with a good leather scissor.

I wouldn't cut a groove in the edges either, as I see it as basically weakening or bruising the grain. If you want to do it try using the nylon slicker or maybe putting your creaser over a flame and then burning it.

Where did you find the leather from SB Foot? I totally understand, if you don't want to share it.

ah, that's cool spy.

I'd nix the groove, and just work on cutting nice and straight, then work on cutting curves. It'll be super hard to burnish that as simon said, but if you get a nice curve without any points, you shouldn't need it- a raw edge on a waxy leather like that is perfectly fine for a bag. super sharp blade is key to just get a nice clean edge, it kinda sucks that it's the only thing that draws my eye in an otherwise really nice bag.

Edited by corter

ah, that's cool spy.

I'd nix the groove, and just work on cutting nice and straight, then work on cutting curves. It'll be super hard to burnish that as simon said, but if you get a nice curve without any points, you shouldn't need it- a raw edge on a waxy leather like that is perfectly fine for a bag. super sharp blade is key to just get a nice clean edge, it kinda sucks that it's the only thing that draws my eye in an otherwise really nice bag.

I'm working on another right now, which I nixed the groove on, smoothened the cut and used some black edge kote. From what I can see, it's looking a lot better. Thanks for the advice guys!

For re-tan stuff I have really good luck with a give or take 50 50 mix of beeswax and neatsfoot. Just apply it generously on the edge and it at least slicks the loose fibers down. The stuff I made ends up like semi solid, Im not sure of the actual ratio.

Anyways, here is a backpack I make the other day completely out of CXL scraps:

24ee65ef56835df3ba5eeffa656c1e09_328556_lrg.jpg