Leathercrafting Creations: PYC

OptimaDies

I was wondering the same things as mr.banyaii. I really want to start to teach myself how to craft leather goods, but I'm not sure how to get started. Anybody have any suggestions on good books or guides that are out there?

these guys have everything you need to learn and get started with leather crafting

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/choosecountry/choosecountry.aspx

Just received my wallet and belt from Corter and I must say how damn impressed I am, they're beautiful. However, when I first got in contact with Corter, I had no love for the leather chains and did not ask for a snap to be included on my wallet, now...they've grown on me and I actually wouldn't mind having one; my question is, how hard is it to add a snap to my already made wallet?

Just received my wallet and belt from Corter and I must say how damn impressed I am, they're beautiful. However, when I first got in contact with Corter, I had no love for the leather chains and did not ask for a snap to be included on my wallet, now...they've grown on me and I actually wouldn't mind having one; my question is, how hard is it to add a snap to my already made wallet?

Not hard. Not at all.

bump bump, tried a little something different today and made this. it came out pretty good, i'm going to make another one with a bit of a different design sometime next week:

2659076377_ea4422d79b.jpg

you should make a black, fitted, distressed buttery soft contax t2 pouch....

Shit this page got a lot of cool products. Props to everyone.

Finished this belt. Need more practice with the tooling.

Geeez us. That belt is sick coleslaw. Need practice my ass, the belt and the wallet you made= Perfection.

Since I'm in the red, all I can give is grey reps.

anyone know where i can pick up some black hardware?

specifically a black 1/2" roller buckle?

Hardware will be easier to find from hardware suppliers, not from a leather supplier. But it might be easier to pick up an oxidizing chemical for some hardware you like. But I've seen plenty of black hardware.

hey is it possible to sew 4-5 oz leather using a regular sewing machine or do you have to use awls?

Probably not w/out breaking a ton of needles or stalling the motor. Maybe if you grooved the stitching prior, but half the appeal to me is more durable piece from strong, hand stitching. Yeah, it takes time to get good, but it's worth it. Soft, tanned, leather is easily machine stitched. 3oz leather makes for good wallets, etc.

how can i dye leather to a rich, vibrant color a la comme des garçon wallets?

do i use leather paint?

It's usually drum dyed this color and struck-through, so it's not just on the surface. You can buy upholstery leather in any color under the sun, you just have to put in a little effort to look for it, but it's out there.