What's Your Favourite Cocktail?

slight

the other day at my friends wedding my other friend was bartending and he made us 'gila monsters' and they were pretty good. i just found the recipe and it had more stuff than i thought

Gila Monster

1/2 oz Vodka 1/2 oz Gin 1/2 oz Rum 1/2 oz Triple sec 1/2 oz Midori melon liqueur 2 oz Sour mix Fill with Orange juice

Mix all ingredients in shaker, top with orange juice.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Earlier tonight I found myself sidling up to the bar at The Varnish in downtown LA and was lucky enough to have my drink made by Marcos Tello who is one of the leading figures in the revitalization of cocktail culture in Los Angeles. I took advantage of the "dealer's choice" option on the menu, and received a Scofflaw...a delicious Rye based concoction. My second drink was also Rye based, but had was less citrusy and more nuanced, with great texture provided by the egg white he used. I also got to taste my date's absinthe based drinks, and they were phenomenal, perhaps even more interesting than mine.

I think I am hooked on top notch classic cocktails, and I will definitely be patronizing the Varnish, and any bar that Tello is tending whenever I can...I think being within walking distance of his drinks is enough on its own to justify a move into slightly dodgy downtown.

I also see myself starting to experiment with cocktails at home as I really want to develop a deeper understanding an appreciation for the art of mixology.

• 1 month later...

Jameson 1776 and ginger

OR

Middletons 18yr., straight in a highball glass.

Favorite mixed drink is currently:

Cold Buttered Rum served at PX in Northern Virginia. Google that shit. Best speakeasy in the DC area, makes the Gibson look like the Green Turtle.

I like a bitter component to my cocktails. after all the orginal definition of a Cocktail was "a concoction of Alcohol, bitters, water, and sugar" before they became the appletini bastardations that they are known as today.

I usually go for the well made manhattan, or old fashioned. here are a couple detailed recipes of a couple of recent local tastes.

Fairview Manhattan

2 oz Bulleit Bourbon

1 oz Noilly Pratt Dry Vermouth

.50 oz Martini & Rossi Sweet Vermouth

11 drops Peychaud's Bitters

Rinse of Laphroig

Glass: Coupe

Garnish: 5 drops Pine Liqueur

Small Lemon Peel, light oil.

Ice: None

Stir. Strain. Serve up.

Sazerac

2 oz Old Overholt rye

.25 oz Demerara Syrup

3 dashes Peychaud's Bitters

Rinse:

Herbsaint (Can substitute Absente, Pernod or Ricard)

Glass: Rocks

Garnish: Lemon Peel (Discarded)

Ice: None

Take 2 Rocks Glasses. In Glass #1, put Crushed Ice and Herbsaint.

In Glass #2 put Rye, Demerara and Peychaud's Bitters. Stir Briefly. Add KD and stir.

Throw out Ice and Herbsaint from Glass #1.

Strain Glass #2 into Glass # 1. Twist lemon peel over drink then discard.

This Cocktail is served with no ice in the glass.

If you are interested in mixology than make sure to check other recipes that are from chicago's "the violet hour"

http://chicagohappyhour.com/tvh/ im sure lots of cities have a classic speakeasy type place to sample some fine drinks.

at home i keep it simple

Manhattan

2 oz old overhold rye

1 oz martini and rossi sweet vermouth

8 drops of bitters( i like half orange bitters and half peychauds)

most of the time i drink beer or wine though.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone I thought you guys might like to join my Drinking Lounge

It's a place I made to talk about what you're drinking and a place where you can drink with out feeling guilty about drinking alone...

So learn about something you've never had and spread the love of something you like to drink.

www.drinkinglounge.com

Cheers!

HH

wtf is up with recession impacting global angostura bitters supply? craziness

I think I've had the same bottle of bitters for at least 5 years now...

what do you use yours on so often? I'd love to use mine up on some thing good!