Résumés

home

Any tips for writing up a resume for a part-time job? Nothing professional (probably in retail or hospitality), just need to supplement my finances while i study this year.

Planning on just doing a cold drop at a few local stores that'd I'd be interested at working at, so I guess my resume will need to have some zing about it if im to be hired.

ive been given the tip of keeping everything short and sharp (1 page resume, few sentences for a cover letter) - this sound about right? any other recs?

I would keep it simple.And just include anything positive that you have done(sports,clubs,volunteer work)and the like.Also make sure thet they know you do go to school.Just do a search on google or something and there should be tons of stuff on what to include.

From my experience, retail and hospitality jobs in good places can be on who you know, not what you know...

However, keep your resume short and dont waste much space with your hobbies and stuff as everyone always lists the same shit.

I think for these jobs it is more important to make a good impreesion when you are there than what is on your resume...

That and say you have 2 years experience doing the job, regardless of what is is...

Make sure that there are no gaps in your work history, but if there are, fill them in with some relevant "volunteer" experience. Also, do NOT refer to yourself as a "Customer Service Facilitator", when you worked the counter at a Wendy's. Just be straight forward, look intelligent, but don't oversell yourself. Oh and a good Objective never hurts...even if you have to change it for each job that you're applying for.

Don't go graphical with your resumé. The last thing anyone wants to see is some smart ass trying to jazz up their community service and hospitality experience.

The old format/template of OBJECTIVE, EDUCATION, etc. etc. gets old and is really boring. It might work in hospitality, but for the most part I would suggest avoiding that and opting for something that isn't so bland. Express what you are really interested in and how you want to parlay that into the jobs you are applying for. Make them get interested in what you're doing rather than blowing smoke up their ass.

YMMV.

an objective is always a good thing, always offer references

rely on yourself rather than the resume to do the work

these places want to know your character and attitude, its good you can assure them that you have experience, but attitude is key

go in there and always ask to speak for the manager and be positive and energtic, explaining why you have chosen this place and what skills you can offer.

an objective is always a good thing, always offer references

rely on yourself rather than the resume to do the work

these places want to know your character and attitude, its good you can assure them that you have experience, but attitude is key

go in there and always ask to speak for the manager and be positive and energtic, explaining why you have chosen this place and what skills you can offer.

I'm going to disagree here. Don't give references until you are asked for them, and save the objectives for your cover letter. Your resume should be as relevant and to the point as possible, all the extra stuff is for you to deliver in your cover letter and in your interview. But I'm talking about resumes for real, 40 hour per week type jobs here, not a few shifts at American Apparel.

But I'm talking about resumes for real, 40 hour per week type jobs here, not a few shifts at American Apparel.

Yeah, not looking at a full-time job yet (still studying), so I figure I'll list a few references at the bottom of the CV.

Any other tippps.