Where did ____ start?

the breaks

A lot of the time, clothing trends you see on the streets originated in runway shows a season or 2 before. Since I know we have some members here with near photographic memory when it comes to runway looks (;)), I thought I might ask about a few trends I've been wondering about.

The first one is pant legs stuffed into socks. This was very recently done by someone (lanvin?) but it's been done to death on the streets of Stockholm and Helsinki for years. Where did it start? Who was the first one to show looks like this?

The second one is the faux-hawk. I've heard a story about Hedi Slimane coming up with the 'do but I've never heard anything definitive. Anyone know where this thing came from?

The second one is the faux-hawk. I've heard a story about Hedi Slimane coming up with the 'do but I've never heard anything definitive. Anyone know where this thing came from?

I've heard the Hedi rumour as well. Not sure he was the one who started it, but he was a good bit ahead of the curve at least, because, again, as rumour has it, he cut his off the first time he saw someone else with it. I imagine as far as the latter goes he probably just moved on as the trend caught on, birthing a rather exaggerated tale.

The pants stuffed into socks has been done in Holland for years now. Mostly by tacky Turkish and Marrocan guys that wear a cap and a training suit underneath a short black jacket with a fur lined hoodie. Looks horrible imo, but I must admit that it looks good when Lanvin did it for the S/S 08 collection.

its also important to realize that many fashion trends may also come out of necessity or for a practical reason, they are not always the invention of a designer. pants tucked into socks may have originated with outdoorsman protecting themselves from insects, etc. and fast forward to now, designers have adopted this for the runway.

also, i think it may be more fair to say that fashion trends originate on the street and THEN are transfered to high-fashion

^I agree.

I know the "faux-hawk" was not invented by Hedi.

Back in my punk days, we called them "safety hawks" on account of their being more socially acceptable. The hawk doesn't go all the way down the back and the sides are left a little shaggy, so your grandma doesn't recognize that you have a mohawk. But you can still spike it up for the punk show.

We used to make fun of the kids that wore safety hawks. Now I kinda like them as a nod to days past, but I still wouldn't wear it for the stupid fashion fanboy image that it gives now.

Good points. I can definitely see the fauxhawk coming from "wannabe" punks (faux-punks? :D) and the pant leg thing too. Another reason might have been to keep the hems of pants from getting wet in the rain or something...

On to other stuff then! Anybody know when and where distressed or washed jeans started?

The first one is pant legs stuffed into socks. This was very recently done by someone (lanvin?) but it's been done to death on the streets of Stockholm and Helsinki for years. Where did it start? Who was the first one to show looks like this?

Oh, socks thing was YSL a season ago, I'm pretty sure. I made a thread just not about socks since personally mine are generally showing a bit so I thought I'd see if anyone knows of anything interesting along those lines. Probably won't be tucking my pants into them, however.

• 1 month later...

Finding the originator is more complicated than it initially may appear. In most cases there is no single source you can identify.

Take the shemagh trend for example. Who are you going to credit for that? Raf Simons for incorporating in in his SS02 collection back in 2001? Or left-wing and anti-globalist protesters in Europe who sported them before that? Or how about the activists protesting against the Vietnam war in the US? Or people in the squatting movement in Europe? Various groups wearing them in the middle east conflict(s) even?

Surely in the last few examples it was worn mainly to make a political statement, but that doesn't mean it can't be a fashion influence. Besides, when it becomes part of the uniform for say a squatter in the nineties, how much of wearing a shemagh is political when it is also a means to conform to a group of people with similar lifestyles? Furthermore, what was Raf's motive to have his models wear it on stage? I can't help but assume that politics or at least the current world affairs inspired him to make that statement.

In my opinion there is a fine line between fashion statement and a political statement or even pure function. I bet this not only applies to the shemagh.

Finding the originator is more complicated than it initially may appear. In most cases there is no single source you can identify.

Take the shemagh trend for example. Who are you going to credit for that? Raf Simons for incorporating in in his SS02 collection back in 2001? Or left-wing and anti-globalist protesters in Europe who sported them before that? Or how about the activists protesting against the Vietnam war in the US? Or people in the squatting movement in Europe? Various groups wearing them in the middle east conflict(s) even?

I`m pretty sure Japanese street labels were doing shemaghs pre Raf Simons. The trend was already played out in Tokyo by 2001/02.

I think the issue with the whole hedi thing, and with most trends is not where it really originate but who brought it to the masses. And I certainly think hedi can take some credit for influencing David Beckhams stylist to give him a faux hawk, which in turn brought it to the masses (which is what the story was). Like everything else Hedi did, especially at dior homme, he takes influence from the streets/subcultures and "makes it his own". London street fashion for f/w 04, industrial for fall 03..etc. And i'm sure he saw some kids rocking the faux hawks and got one himself.

I don't know if S/S 02 had shemagh(s)? I thought they were t-shirts, wrapped.
Diamonds is right, all wrapped shirts over hoods. Don't think Raf ever did Shemaghs...

I've read several times (in different sources) that Raf was the first to use shemaghs on the runway, but I guess I was wrong on the date/collection. Now I'm confused. My sources be making stuff up?

Anyway, you get the point. I stand corrected for the time being.

I've read several times (in different sources) that Raf was the first to use shemaghs on the runway, but I guess I was wrong on the date/collection. Now I'm confused. My sources be making stuff up?

Anyway, you get the point. I stand corrected for the time being.

I quickly checked through the collections from S/S02 till 04/05 and couldn't find any...

Later would be too recent for him to have been the first and earlier I couldn't find that quickly at work. Will check later at home...

Thanks Cotton, I'd like to find out too. There are movies of all his collections from 95 onward on rafsimons.be, but I'm takes ages to go through them all.

I did find one of the articles where it was mentioned: http://observer.guardian.co.uk/magazine/story/0,,2242263,00.html The other one was in Parool, but I have no idea where to find it.

That was quite a nice article thanks, anyway just went through the whole "Sometimes you have to fight for your freedom" collection , including cloesups, wich is the one the article talks about S/S02, and I now know 100% for sure that there were no shemaghs in there, all shirts or otherwise scarfs that looked like some crisp cotton.

(And it was very nice to see that whole collection again btw, still so relevant...)

I quickly checked through the collections from S/S02 till 04/05 and couldn't find any...

Later would be too recent for him to have been the first and earlier I couldn't find that quickly at work. Will check later at home...

Checked my Raf redux book (which shows all collection from 96 on), doesn't once use them, but most people mistake the s/s 02 one for it, which as pointed out already were shirts/scarvesish stuff.