hip hop

matthewtaylor

PG2G's got it right here's hot it goes:

"grime," whatver the fuck that shit is, it's WHACK. DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE!

"sole?" anticon is also fairly whack. DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE!

What's hot:

doom

to be released* danger doom

doom/rza joint on the way

new* shapeshifters

new* kanye

de la

new* boom bap project (NW reprezent)

and all the classics...

Rakim is god.

www.coolestshop.com

use code: superfuture

for 10% off your order

Quote: "grime," whatver the fuck that shit is, it's WHACK. DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE!

I disagree wholeheartedly. Grime is a fresh new sound, unlike anything else happening at the moment. I appreciate it for what it is.

They have Grime in the US? Grime artists from the States? *Cringe*

Edited by Aotearoa on Sep 1, 2005 at 01:26 PM

How are you gonna dis Kanye? you like the shapeshifters cause they're "underground?" Not cause they represent something fresh in hip hop: all the while carrying a distinctly hip hop sound? Okay, so let's forget about Kanye! AND let's forget about LL, let's forget about Jay-Z and let's forget about Dr. Dre. While we're at it, throw in Snoop and Eminem. Fuck all those guys cause they do whack commercial shit. Sellouts that were at sometime cutting edge and hip. Let's also throw in Common and the Roots too. And while we're at it... let's not forget Mos Def and Lyrics Born cause they both did Coke commercial... Really man. Kanye is a great producer, and as far as being an MC, he reps a totally different perspective than anyone else right now in hip hop. Here's an educated man spurning formal education, admitting his book smarts and street smarts, embracing his race and creed, while at the same time admitting his flaws and his obsessions. I'm the farthest thing from being a Christian, but I recognize how in a skewed way, rebellious "Jesus Walks" really was. Everybody is always thanking God from the thuggest rapper off the streets... but here's someone admitting their fears in a real way and exposing his beliefs. I think bell hooks said it best in an interview with Ice Cube... she said something to the effect of... "So what if I drive a new BMW... I can't have nice things? I can't desire to own something nice?" Hip hop is a lot of shit man... there's a lot to love and hate, but you can't judge someone just cause they don't look or sound like someone else.

www.coolestshop.com

for 10% off your order

i agree on the kanye thing, the guy everyone should be watching for the next couple of years, i like the way he talks about him self: i only put out songs when i know i can talk shit afterwards, brilliant:) and it's not boasting when u deliver albums like he does.

eminem is a bit of a sellout btw at the moment, but i still like a lot of his more serious songs like lose yourself, stan, sing for the moment, 8 mile, those are really good, but trash like just lose it is just a quick cash in and he makes a fool of himself

one million billionth of a millisecond on a sunday morning

see i feel you there, cause i used to seriously despise eminem. i recognized that he was talented, but i used to think that he had nothing to say that i wanted to hear. but i listened to "select" songs more closely and my opinion changed. in my opinion "mosh" is his crowning achievement.

www.coolestshop.com

for 10% off your order

I am feeling Kanye big time these days. I got his new album on right now. Politically, Socially, and most of all mentally conscious. His production quality is superb without sounding overproduced. I hear what y'all are talking about with eminem. I used to hate that fool. I saw him as a thief and a perp. But lately I've been respecting him a lot more. Mosh was great. For someone of his caliber to straight call out Bush is beyond belief. Most white folk shy away from confronting power in fear of losing cash. black folk do it also, but to a smaller extent. If a black cat says the shit eminem said in mosh they get marginalized and it never reaches the masses, but when eminem does it... it gets through.

Kanye also highlights hip hop artists that have smaller names, like mos def and talib. I used to be of the mentality that underground needs to stay underground, but to hell with that. we trying to change this world. We tryin to put out positive and strong images, but most of all true images of minorities, not the charicatures magnified on MTV and the radio. Hip Hop is comin back!!!!!!!!!

Family Tree

Cap D

All Natural

Kanye

Living Legends

Mos def And Talib

Quote:

How are you gonna dis Kanye? you like the shapeshifters cause they're "underground?" Not cause they represent something fresh in hip hop: all the while carrying a distinctly hip hop sound? Okay, so let's forget about Kanye! AND let's forget about LL, let's forget about Jay-Z and let's forget about Dr. Dre. While we're at it, throw in Snoop and Eminem. Fuck all those guys cause they do whack commercial shit. Sellouts that were at sometime cutting edge and hip. Let's also throw in Common and the Roots too. And while we're at it... let's not forget Mos Def and Lyrics Born cause they both did Coke commercial... Really man. Kanye is a great producer, and as far as being an MC, he reps a totally different perspective than anyone else right now in hip hop. Here's an educated man spurning formal education, admitting his book smarts and street smarts, embracing his race and creed, while at the same time admitting his flaws and his obsessions. I'm the farthest thing from being a Christian, but I recognize how in a skewed way, rebellious "Jesus Walks" really was. Everybody is always thanking God from the thuggest rapper off the streets... but here's someone admitting their fears in a real way and exposing his beliefs. I think bell hooks said it best in an interview with Ice Cube... she said something to the effect of... "So what if I drive a new BMW... I can't have nice things? I can't desire to own something nice?" Hip hop is a lot of shit man... there's a lot to love and hate, but you can't judge someone just cause they don't look or sound like someone else.

--- Original message by coolestshop on Sep 1, 2005 01:38 PM

didn't common mention in one of his songs about rappers sellin out with commercials. then a few years later he's got his own sprite commercial???? i think it was i used to love h.e.r... ah well, it's not about who's the realest anymore. it's about gettin paid as we can tell.

"it's just a phase and you know damn well that you'll fall off in a minute cause that shit don't sell"

I think you guys mean "The god Rakim Allah"!

But anyway, in my opinion - Kanye is wack. There is nothing new about his sound, he samples like Marley Marl and Pete Rock did and his drums are mostly classical Jay-Z-ish sampling. Amazing? Hardly. Original right now? Naturally.

Just take a Premier, Pete Rock, RZA, Alchemist, Marley Marl, Beatnuts production and you get such a varied soundscale and fantastic compositions that Kanye ain't even close to achieving.

Kanye is exactly whats wrong with hiphop, that someone doing something underground OVERGROUND, is something. Main stream. Gawd.

dress badly on purpose.

The thing about Kanye and his music that makes him so good is the way his lyrics and delivery complement the sounds he's produced. When I listen to Kanye, I don't look to identify him as a producer that raps, or vice versa. In my mind, he creates complete songs, not just hot verses or great beats.

As someone said before, lyrically he'll never be a Nas, and on the producing side, he might never be a Dre/DJ Premier/whomever, but the man has enough talent and vision to do both so well as to create great music that appeals to so many different ppl on so many levels.

Just my $0.02.

Triple P is the shit.

And in some way I also agree with

skecr8r and sr20det

Primo, RZA, Pete Rock, Beatnuts, JayDee are amongst the greatest all time producers. But you can't also forget Dre. But I think 10 years from now, we will look at Kanye and dare I say it, even the Neptunes and include them amongst that great list of beatmakers.

In regards to Common. Last time I saw Common, right after Electric Circus, as soon as he finished his set a gigantic banner with his pic and a giant Coke logo dropped down from the ceiling. People booed, but you could kinda see he knew what was up and he just slipped off stage. But you can't fault someone for trying to make a buck. I think Common is still putting out good material, however, I think his message was never flawless, and is still open to criticism. But Ice T once said, the most messed up thing "they" can do is make you think that you DON'T need money. To expand on that, once you got money, you can start doing positive things with it.

www.coolestshop.com

for 10% off your order

Edited by coolestshop on Sep 2, 2005 at 08:53 AM

can't keep quiet on this one.

i disagree with all the kanye haters.

his lyrics are simple, yes.

does he communicate effectively? yes.

does he sell albums? yes

so now he's wack because he and other rappers are successful?

what is a hip hop artist supposed to 'be' about? someone is wack because they're on time magazine?

Pete Rock has been quoted, as well as other highly regarded hip-hop producers as saying that kanye is what hip hop needs now. the truth. like it or not he tells it. and his beats are hot, some of his shit sounds like jay-z stuff because he produced the biggest hits for him...

if hip hop is about hustlin then kanye, em and jayz are doin it. how many rappers can touch jayz on a business front?

so going by what alot of you said someone like 9th wonder is shit cause he sounds like pete rock? c'mon. how different do you want hip hop to sound? it won't be considered hip hop anymore if it veers too far from the tree...

i love hip hop, grew up with it and i'm not a youngin anymore but groups like little brother have reinterpreted that 90's golden era sound, as have mos, talib, com, j-dilla...yes, yes, i love hip hop.

i like them for being when hiphop was something different. like today everything is different. today its all on mtv and all those rappers haven't made classics, and i love classics...

i love preem for what he was and guru and pete rock and all of them.. for what they did.. made timeless classics i can hear over and over again and they remind me of certain times and stuff i did. you know? id really like some feedback on what i just wrote.. isn't it just what its about when i dislike kanye? he is still a mad producer.. skillwise. but that isn't cutting it for me anymore.

dress badly on purpose.

Just because Kanye gets paid don't make him wack. That seems light some middle class white shit to say. The purpose of kanye is to promote different images of black folk and in the end minorities in general. Should conscious rhymers continue to allow fake thugs and wanksta's have a monopoly on all the images that are processed and fed to us? To hell with that. Put out good music and make a difference. Change peoples minds with your music. Conscious rappers rappin to the underground heads are just preaching to the choir. Sure all the folks who listen to Kanye won't hear Kanye's message, but some will. Music can change minds and promote tolerance. Later, for all that "stay underground" crap. There is a difference between gettin paid and sellin out. I would say that Mos Def is walkin a fine line. GMC commercials. That shit is wack. To be a breakthrough marketing ploy to get other black folk to buy cars they don't need is out.

To all the folks who dig only old school shit. Hip hop can not be stagnant it must be an everchanging culture that addapts to the times... to survive.

PEACE (for reals)

i think mrswitch and i agree on many levels.

to skecr8r -

i love the classics, i loved main source before large pro went solo.

i loved kool g rap and dj polo, big daddy kane, craig g, masta ace, juice crew..

i loved when busta was part of lons with dinco, charlie, and milo.

man... prt, epmd, eric b and ra , nwa loved all the acronyms...

check out this interview with phonte of little brother. i know alot of ppl here dig these guys and i was lucky enough to shoot them for a feature, and for real they are genuinely nice and intelligent guys. this interview articulates it well -

but it needs to grow on so many levels - and saying that some are selling out as a result of being successful doesn't make them wack just like being 'grimy' doesn't make it great. shit onyx were as grimy as any of these uk cats, just cause there's an east end accent don't make it harder 'bruv'.

as for the comment about mos, i think his mind is elsewhere. he did his thing, collabs, black star, solo projects but think he looking to go the fresh prince, ice cube, ladies love route.

check out this interview with phonte of little brother. i know alot of ppl here dig these guys and i was lucky enough to shoot them for a feature, and for real they are genuinely nice and intelligent guys. this interview articulates it well -

[http://www.hiphopsite.com/NEWS/interviews.hhs] select phonte in the interviews

Yo that interview was hot. I can't wait until the minstrel show comes out. 9/13 right?

PEACE

I still can't get into MF Doom and I don't understand why. I should really love it.

My recommendations:

http://www.myspace.com/bluescholars Blue Scholars - Blue Scholars (album of the year so far)

Dr. Octagon - Ocyagonocolygist

Deltron 3030 - Deltron 3030

Handsome Boy Modeling School - White People

Heiroglyphics - Third Eye Vision

Immortal Technique - Revolutionary Vol. 2

KMD - Mr. Hood

The Roots - Do You Want More

Edited by verb on Sep 3, 2005 at 01:29 PM

Edited by verb on Sep 3, 2005 at 01:36 PM

justus league are killing it, def. agree as is doom. yes, minstrel show is gonna be the shit.

doom is a great example of an artist with a story of triumph. no doubt one of the main reasons kanye has succeeded (through the wire). those that remember kmd will remember how doom came to be after his brother was killed by a car accident. it was also interesting that doom was feat. on the cover of wired magazine a few months back as well.

w/re to kanye and politics, i don't necessarily agree with what he said and really have no first hand knowledge about the katrina situation but as an artist with his current profile i don't see why he shouldn't have said something when he did. other artists that were involved were 'sympathetic' with the situation but look at the news headlines now after kanye made his statement. loads more interest especially to younger audiences...so it may be a double edged sword but i think that the way the states views race issues is indicative of how the public will feel about his stance.