hip hop

matthewtaylor

^

^

Aotearoa said it best! But then again i think brother is in NZ where Hip Hop is King!

Anyways - on my way to work today i was rockin Smiff N Wessun's "Da Shinin'" - Nineteen Ninety Now in the house! That shit was so dope - it was back in the days of hoodies, Tims and blunts!

As for a lot of the backpack shit mentioned above - no offence but it is a little played. I am getting back into Wu Tang in a big way, especially Ghostface. Check his skills on the Theodore Unit mixtape!

Other than that - too much US hip hop is a little stale. I have been checking hip hop from other countries for years and it is raw and fresh. Try the following for a bit of a Hip Hop U.N:

- Germany: Absolute Begginer, Funf Sterne Deluxe, ASD

- France: Fonky Family, Busta Flex, IAM

- Australia: Hilltop Hoods, Koolism

- New Zealand - Dawn Raid

- U.K: Rodney P, Tony Rotten, all the GRIME coming out of the UK too.

Don't ever give up on hip hop man, it is the last truly innovative genre of music left...

Quote:
Quote: i'm finding it so hard to find decent hiphop these days.

P.s.

Not to be an asshole, but if this is true you're not looking hard enough for certain!

--- Original message by Aotearoa on Aug 31, 2005 03:20 PM

Uh?

He's admitted it's hard, and your asking him to look harder? WTF?

The point is he shouldn't have to look at all.

How did my dictate last night?

Quote:

^

^

Aotearoa said it best! But then again i think brother is in NZ where Hip Hop is King!

Anyways - on my way to work today i was rockin Smiff N Wessun's "Da Shinin'" - Nineteen Ninety Now in the house! That shit was so dope - it was back in the days of hoodies, Tims and blunts!

As for a lot of the backpack shit mentioned above - no offence but it is a little played. I am getting back into Wu Tang in a big way, especially Ghostface. Check his skills on the Theodore Unit mixtape!

Other than that - too much US hip hop is a little stale. I have been checking hip hop from other countries for years and it is raw and fresh. Try the following for a bit of a Hip Hop U.N:

- Germany: Absolute Begginer, Funf Sterne Deluxe, ASD

- France: Fonky Family, Busta Flex, IAM

- Australia: Hilltop Hoods, Koolism

- New Zealand - Dawn Raid

- U.K: Rodney P, Tony Rotten, all the GRIME coming out of the UK too.

Don't ever give up on hip hop man, it is the last truly innovative genre of music left...

--- Original message by Superdutch on Aug 31, 2005 03:44 PM

yes, bootcamp clique! shinin was a dope album. evil dee was at his prime then. all i listen to is early-mid 90s hip hop before they were rappin about the money, the clothes, the versaaaaace...

"it's just a phase and you know damn well that you'll fall off in a minute cause that shit don't sell"

Little Brother - new album "The Minstrel Show" drops 9/13, supposed to be classic. Check their original album "The Listening" too.

Binary Star - "Masters of the Universe" this is the album i used to put a bunch of people onto underground hiphop a few years ago. Simply classic.

Foreign Exchange - collaboration between part of Little Brother and a producer from Norway.

There are a bunch more, but these are 3 of my all time favorites. Sometimes I just hunt down things from my favorite producers and end up learning about new artists. I'm a big fan of 9th Wonder (Little Brother/Justus League), Khrysis (The Away Team/Justus League) and the Alchemist, so I just run around and try whatever has their names on it.

Edited by PG2G on Aug 31, 2005 at 06:23 PM

Quote:

BIG L (R.I.P)

--- Original message by psyence on Aug 31, 2005 05:53 PM

whenever i hear that i think of that gangstarr full clip song.

"it's just a phase and you know damn well that you'll fall off in a minute cause that shit don't sell"

I'd think you'd like Masta Ace for sure.

Just gonna bump some of my iTunes great. Plus, if you like to buy singles, get all the Dj Premier stuff. Like every track is something. Top 40 Most Played Artists:

Big Punisher

Pete Rock & C.L. Smooth

Ed O.G.

M.O.P.

Rakim

Big L

De La Soul

Gang Starr

Wu-Tang Clan

TerrorSquad

Alchemist

Kool G Rap

Masta Ace

Big Shug

Jedi Mind Tricks

The Beatnuts

Jeru Tha Damaja

Mobb Deep

Notorious B.I.G.

D-Flame (German)

Afu-Ra

Rasco

O.C.

D.I.T.C. Crew

Non Phixion

The bolded ones makes fantastic music. There is quite a lot of people liking that special style of hiphop (Common, Phara, Mos, so forth). Personally, I find it a little bland, a little to polished and bright. I love the raw sound of the 1992-1996 Premier and the fantastic compositions from Pete Rock. But I also favour the beat a lot since I began listening back when my english skills were second to afghans. Lyrically, MF Doom+Aesop Rock, Madlib and so forth are fantastic.

You'll get a lot out of Immortal Technique lyrically, even though he is quite trivial. I'd personally think you'll find yourself right at home if you pickup Masta Ace - A Long Hot Summer. Beautiful album. Hope this helps.

dress badly on purpose.

Lord Finesse

Showbiz And A.g.

O.c.

Gangstarr

Big L

Jeru The Damaja

Diamond D

Gza

Sadat X

Non Phixion

Edan

Biz Markie

Marco Polo

Masta Ace

Kool G Rap

Black Moon

Smif n Wessun

The Roots

Ice Cube

Cool Clam Pete

Large Proffesor

Ra The Rugged Man

Defari

Ol Dirty Bastard

Jay Z

Check these all out that should keep you going for a while!

"Brothers start to shake when i dig in the crates"

Edited by protectthagoons on Sep 1, 2005 at 11:00 AM

Atmosphere, slug, and aesop etc. is fucking whiney girl music.

MF Doom is killing it right now, sooo incredibly hard.

Visionaries (CA aaallllll daaay)

LMNO's new album is pretty good.

Older L.A. Symphony albums are pretty good.

Pigeon John is a favorite of mine. (Brainwash Projects is a classic)

Electric... A group of 4 (or 5) MC's from Chicago I think or some place... there pretty good too. If you like that J5 type hip hop.

http://www.tragicbliss.com