Hey, I'm listening to lupe fiasco's new album

Gouf

You know what? I wanted to dislike it, but I forgot I initially liked Lupe's first album.

This album (the cool) so far (i'm only on track 3 or 4) isn't bad at all and is equal to his first one. I can't tell you if it's better, but its objectively i'd say I'm enjoying the first songs better than kanye's first songs.

With that said though, I couldn't tell you if it was a great album or not. Sounds like modern day mainstream rap to me, not really anything new just continuation of what is working at this moment.

I will say this though, its hard to seperate lupe from his fans.. the more avid ones I tend to like the least.. but so far I cannot hate the man for this album.

Productionwise: It sounds great, hooray, I didn't expect him to get bad beats (who does nowadays anyway?)

Lyrically: Sound's like Lupe. I've never heard lupe rap poorly.

Overall: I dunno yet. Anyone else heard this album yet?

QUICK EDIT: However, i'm hearing alot of 2pac in his flow. Not good ): in my opinion but hey he did say he's a big gangsta rap fan right?

REAL EDIT:

You can listen to it too here: http://www.mtv.com/music/the_leak/lupe_fiasco/the_cool/#

So? Watcha think about it?? (:

DOUBLE EDIT:

For somereason the "new good hiphop thread" escaped me when I made this one. If people don't like this having its own thread mod just merge it, no infractchun plz ):

i'm not really that big of a fan of lupe's but IMO there are some dope tracks on this latest effort...just like a couple dope tracks on the former

Couple of hit and misses though just like the previous album

I don't like it as much as F&L, mainly because I'm not a fan of the production on this album. There are no hard-hitting beats, everything is a laid-back, loungy type feel. I think its a good album, its good lyrically outside of a few annoying hooks, but for the most part the production really doesnt do it for me.

Every beat on f&l is distinct, on the cool all the songs seem to run into one another

i kinda like the song "gold watch" just cuz he drops names like head porter, nbhd, junya watanabe, yohji yamamoto, etc. i tried to find lyrics for the song but no one knows what he's saying when he mentions these japanese names. for example, i found "my Horishi" (maharishi), "Junior Wontanabi" (junya watanabe), "Go Tiama Moto" (yohji yamamoto) :P

also, he raps about street fighter 2 :cool:

It's a solid album IMO.

I've listened to the entire album front to back repeatedly for the past week or so and I can honestly say that I am satisfied.

Although ILLuminate knocks it for it's mellow/relaxed ambience, Isn't that what the album is titled, "The Cool". Right off the bat that should've indicated that there weren't going to be any aggressive beats.

Lupe's first album was solid also. Better? I don't really think they're comparable. Totally different feels and themes.

"However, i'm hearing alot of 2pac in his flow. Not good ): in my opinion but hey he did say he's a big gangsta rap fan right?"

Well if you listen to Lupe's mixtapes you can see where his influences come from. Raised on "Gangsta Rap" and he conveys that on his mixtapes...Doesn't neccessarily glorify life in the streets nor anything negative associated with it but you don't see that in his albums because (according to him) he wanted people to know that there are other options out there which IMO is admirable.

lupe fiasco is a douche bag. his ego is too big. the guy just cant wait till he has enough "street cred" among other rappers so he can make an entire album about how he is the greatest rapper and how he's this and that and how he is the new number one guy. so predictable the guy makes me want to puke. one of the many reasons i stopped listening to Crap.

i never thought the day would come that i would despise radio rap for any matter as rap was what i grew up on but i guess a lot of shitty artists can change anything.

lupe fiasco is a douche bag. his ego is too big. the guy just cant wait till he has enough "street cred" among other rappers so he can make an entire album about how he is the greatest rapper and how he's this and that and how he is the new number one guy. so predictable the guy makes me want to puke.

Sounds like just about any contemporary rapper that has tasted the fruit of success in some capacity or another..

i dunno what u guys are listening too.. this album is great the concept tracks are very artistic and they dont just tell a story they're nice to listen to regardless of lyrics... the technical lyrics in dumb it down are crazy the collab with unkle is brilliant in my opinion and definitely and a good move for hip hop the matthew santons features are all dope.. the man parallels the streets with a cheeseburger are u guys listening to what hes saying ? obviously opinions differ greatly...but as hip hop fans i dont see how u cant respect what hes doing... let me know

I expected a little more from him. The album becomes droning and it all sounds the same to me, like the first time when I listned to Kanye's album. I got a huge headache from listening to his album and on top of that I was so restless while listening to it. Maybe it will be different when I hear it again..

Streets On Fire, Fighters, and for some stupid fucking reason, Go Baby, are the tracks I really like. The last one I have no idea why but I just do. I'd really appreciate it if he stopped putting that one bitch on the intro track to his cds. I don't like her, at all. BITCH GIMME MUSIC NO MOAR OF YOUR TALKINGZ.