Simon Miller Jeans

arlee

Was just browsing AE and stumbled on these jeans http://activeendeavors.com/product/2/2/3933/

did a google search and they have a website up. http://www.simonmillerjeans.com/

It shows all the washes for this first collection. The raw pair (los angeles) looks to be a good alternative to APC, Nudie or 5EP. Anyone here has picked up a pair?

• 1 year later...

X-post from evo thread!

I've been wearing this pair of simon millers M001 for about 25 weeks... these jeans are way underrated in sufu.... and it's rare to see them.... heaps of ppl were initially comparing them with apcs... I think are why better... here is a couple of pics of mine.... let me know what you guys think... and simon miller thread is pretty much dead so i donno where to post....

3848673212_3f3108aa31.jpg

3848685254_b024d20aa4.jpg

3848686038_c7c97ccfc8.jpg

3847895513_2ca32a8ebf.jpg

3848688760_8ece4de6a7.jpg

3847897401_e78b131782.jpg

3848690848_cb56879e49.jpg[/

• 7 months later...

I have 5 pairs of simon millers.... I think alot of people do have simon millers.... but not on this site.... The cut and denim is just amazing.... but construction is not perfected yet in my opinion....

• 1 month later...
The cut and denim is just amazing.... but construction is not perfected yet in my opinion....

You're totally right about that, dude. They make some good shit, but the construction. Let me tell you a story...

I bought a pair of black Simon Miller Harlems. The edges of the flap (with the button holes) started unraveling uncomfortably fast. You can see in pictures at the very top of the flap, the kind of weird fraying that was going on. This was symptomatic of the edges where I would button the jeans, but the constant agitation from buttoning/unbuttoning made it wear out more quickly.

IMG_7737.jpg

IMG_7736.jpg

IMG_7735.jpg

I sent these to DenimTherapy, which, as you can see, completely shitted it up. Not even that, it didn't even fix the problem. Right above the "patch" they tried to apply, the edges are fraying again. But the problem all along lay in the construction.

I don't know what to say except I've never had this particular kind of fraying occur before on any of my jeans (PRPS, Rag & Bone, Nudie, Raleigh Denim, Marc Jacobs, KMW, Gilded Age, and yes, even Gap).

So I sent an email. I got dissed for 2 months. Then I sent another email. I got a response. Excited, I finally explained (with photos) what was going on. Most smaller clothing companies are really cool about offering repairs or sending replacements or even swatches of fabric. I initially thought the same of SM. I was wrong. The exchange went like this:

>>On Jan 24, 2010, at 5:33 PM, Matty wrote:

the repair doesn't look very good. i suggest contacting denim doctors here in LA. the could fix your jeans for sure. i would offer you a new pair but unfortunately we haven't produced a harlem in a long time.

>>On Jan 24, 2010, at 2:59 PM, you wrote:

Agreed: the repair job rots.

That's very generous of you to offer a new pair. Would you be able to substitute something comparable in exchange for these?

>>On Jan 24, 2010, at 6:01 PM, Matty wrote:

We don't make black denim right now and now that I think about it your jeans will be cooler once they have been repaired properly. Good luck.

Great jeans (for the most part), crap service. Here ends the lesson.

Wow man, thanks for sharing. I was actually planning on buying a pair of the simon miller los angeles jean in black but after hearing your experience....i'm not too sure anymore.

How did you size for the jean? I just sized one down and the jeans stretched out perfectly without any problems. Your fraying problem seems pretty weird but i hope it's unique to just one pair :/

Wow man, thanks for sharing. I was actually planning on buying a pair of the simon miller los angeles jean in black but after hearing your experience....i'm not too sure anymore.

How did you size for the jean? I just sized one down and the jeans stretched out perfectly without any problems. Your fraying problem seems pretty weird but i hope it's unique to just one pair :/

get the LA's. It's very very good pair of jeans... dont size down too much tho.... size down 1 max...

construction is still miles better than APCs and Nudies... there is still room for improvement in comparison to the japanese stuff

I think it was definitely a rare instance. However, there was one other guy on Styleforum who had the same experience with the fraying (I posted this experience there, too). I believe it had to do the with the particular model Itself (Harlem). I've always felt the quality has been very good (+1 for dawei's post)-- I just won't buy another pair of SM as a matter of principle. It's one thing to say "Sorry, we can't replace your jeans" and another to say "We'd replace your jeans but the one you have would look cooler once you pay to fix our mistake". So if you're wanting a pair, I'd just inspect your jeans to make sure you don't have any reservations about its quality.

And if you have problems, don't expect Matty (who's listed on the SM homepage) to help.

• 2 months later...

Hey all-- here are pics of the fantastic job Schaeffer's Garment Hotel did for my jeans. They're a great shop, and they offer discounts for sufu members. Hit them up if you need a hem or repair; you won't be disappointed.

I can't say enough good things about Robert and his crew at Schaeffer's Garment Hotel (aka The Denim Repair Shop). You all can see the "before" pics on another thread I posted in (ranting about a negative experience I had with the rep at Simon Miller). I contacted Robert and they basically took my jeans in and turned them around in a very reasonable amount of time (I got my jeans about 8 days later). Plus, they give sufu members a nice discount.

Below are the pics of their repair of a terrible repair job by Denim Therapy. It may not look like the original tab, but let me assure you, Schaffer's worked a virtual miracle in fixing the button-holes, tab, and reinforcing the flawed denim Simon Miller used for this particular pair. I couldn't be happier. If you're in need of a hem or repair, definitely hit them up. Super friendly and able to give you some options.

01-1.jpg

02-1.jpg

03-1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...