state your beer, drinkers

Nice man! Did they brew a new batch of Mean Old Tom for this winter?

youkinorn and I cracked JP La Roja as well as 2010 and 2010 La Folies tonight. 2010 had some weird ketchup thing going on.. not as bad as the 100% Brett Autumn Maple (which tastes like tomato soup) but was definitely noticeable. 2011 was good though.

Nice man! Did they brew a new batch of Mean Old Tom for this winter?

youkinorn and I cracked JP La Roja as well as 2010 and 2010 La Folies tonight. 2010 had some weird ketchup thing going on.. not as bad as the 100% Brett Autumn Maple (which tastes like tomato soup) but was definitely noticeable. 2011 was good though.

Yeah. It doesnt have batch #s like before, but date of 11.10.11 is stamped on the label. Mean Old Tom sold out in a matter of few hours -- I was one of the last few ppl to snag one when I was in the store. Excited to try it. Don't think I'll age it. btw how do you age your beer? Room temperature or in the fridge?

Whoever was the guy saying he tried Black Tuesday recently at the brewery and didn't like it.. I don't understand that at all. I had 2011 fresh today (first time having BT period) and although The Bruery puts out plenty of random novelty beers, damn that beer is good. It is impressive for them to put out an 18.2% bourbon barrel stout that tastes as good as and more balanced than Bourbon County (which is ~13%) after it has mellowed for two years.

Anyway, yeah, I was impressed by that beer. Here's the other random pics from today (excuse the shitty pics, my cell phone camera lens is scratched to hell):

bal2td.png

Barrel aged 2 Turtle Doves (aka deliciousness)

wildone.png

Bells Wild One

uprightsolecomposition.png

uprightsolecomposition2.jpg

My favorite of the day, Upright Brewing Sole Composition Blend Love #1

greatbeergreatwine.jpg

We opened this to take a break from the heavy beers.. RR It Takes A Lot of Great Beer to Make Great Wine

flora.png

Hill Farmstead Flora batch 1

barfly.png

Midnight Sun Bar Fly.. overrated

lineupf.png

The final lineup.. ended up being about half the bottles that were brought. From left to right:

Kuhnhenn Imperial Bourbon Barrel Braggot, RR It Takes a Lot of Great Beer to Make Great Wine, Midnight Sun Bar Fly, Jackie O's Brandy Barrel Super Fly, a homebrewed peanut butter and jelly porter, Terrapin Iron Tankard, Alpine BA Token, Bruery 2011 Black Tuesday, Tilquin Gueuze, Hill Farmstead Flora, 2007 Cantillon Kriek, Upright Sole Composition Love Blend, AleSmith 2009 Barrel Aged Speedway Stout, Great Divide 2008 Barrel Aged Hibernation, Bells Wild One, Bruery Barrel Aged 2 Turtle Doves, Upright Six, Uinta Oak Jacked Imperial Pumpkin Ale, Bruery ISO:FT, Cigar City Vuja De (this was opened kinda as a joke just to see if it has gotten any better.. I poured out like 3/4 of the bottle if that says anything).

Also not pictured.. Element Vernal, Hoppin Frog BA Naked Evil, and growlers of Breckenridge 471 Small Batch IPA and New England 668 Neighbor of the Beast.

Was a long day, had a good time though :)

Edited by shufon

Yeah. It doesnt have batch #s like before, but date of 11.10.11 is stamped on the label. Mean Old Tom sold out in a matter of few hours -- I was one of the last few ppl to snag one when I was in the store. Excited to try it. Don't think I'll age it. btw how do you age your beer? Room temperature or in the fridge?

Ideal conditions for beers are no light, low to no humidity, 55 degrees. I've heard you need to change the cooling unit in a fridge or tamper with the regular cooling unit so it is not too cold.

Ideal conditions for beers are no light, low to no humidity, 55 degrees. I've heard you need to change the cooling unit in a fridge or tamper with the regular cooling unit so it is not too cold.

Good to know. I've got a few bottles of Deschutes The Abyss in my fridge that I want to keep for a while since the label says "best after November 2011." I put them in my fridge about a year ago, in paper bags. Hopefully the cold hasn't affected them much. Maybe I'll move them somewhere not so cold.

@islandboi-- I need to try it again with a fresh palate soon, I didn't pick up on the sweetness but I'd had like a dozen beers already. I thought CBS was quite a bit sweeter.

@destroyer-- try to hold onto an Olde School for 3-4 years. I had one around that old and it was a lot more balanced imo.

Edited by shufon

drinking BT11 now. way too sweet right now imo, looking forward to aging it. hopefully it settles down a bit.

To me, it was more hot than sweet...though it was still quite sweet...just really hot (made my tongue feel tingly).

That being said, I still enjoyed it. Would definitely enjoy it more in a year, I imagine.

Newcastle Ale is great, but if I want to splurge I like to grab Maudite. It's a Belgian style red-ale made in Chambly, Quebec.

The bottles are corked and the label has a cool story about voyageurs who make a deal with the devil to fly home in their canoe to make it home in time for Christmas. One of the voyageurs retracts the pact with the devil and they fall to their death. Well, the story doesn't sound as cool when I type it out — but it's still a dope beer!

Just opened my first Olde Burnside Highland Wild. It's actually very good, a bit sweet, but everything works together very well and it's much more enjoyable than I expected a sour scotch ale would be. You should check out your local beer store concealed, it seems pretty easy to find around here. Just look for the weird blue 16oz swingtops.

edit: also, do any of the CT guys know where can I cop Gandhi Bot while I'm here?

Edited by shufon

first time out of a bottle. Raspberry front and center (2011 bottle). Nice funk in the nose, and great balance overall. Not quite as tart as when I had it before. Might keep my other bottle around for a while to see if it dries out some.

6d3c72d1b8f4f63947727f4a3d3777cf_640x640.jpg

Edited by youkinorn2

Recently I've been in Munich drinking Augustiner-Bräu Helles they've been making this same beer for 683 years. It's a lager with a golden body and creamy head, nothing extremely special just a timeless thirst quencher.

Edited by Mylarkid