denim review.

red

Kicking Mule Workshop 1950 AWA

Relaxed fit, straight cut. Medium rise. Triple chain stitching on the hems. Slubby, stiff, sanforized 17oz purple selvage denim with lots of rogue warp knots. Super tight weave that doesn't stretch much (if at all). Uses the AWA dye method (hank dyed with natural indigo). Amazing colour and texture. Selvedge coin pocket and both sides of the button fly. Pockets are hella deep, esp. the fronts. 50 pairs were made.

Self Edge x Iron Heart 01 BLACK

Same as the SExIH01 Indigo (review already in this thread) but this one is overdyed black and was more true to size than the Indigo version. The colour never seemed black but more like a super dark midnight inky blue. The fade is very interesting as it fades to blue first and then a little white. Hard as fuck to get these to fade. They only made 22 pairs of the blacks.

Skull 5010xx WHITE

Crazy mad insane leg twist - on BOTH legs. Great slim fit but could use more room in the crotch for my twig and berries. Smooth denim. Haven't had any of the issues of threads ripping since these don't see any hard use cuz they're white. Takes to stain removers and bleach very well. I wear them often and there aren't any permanent stains to speak of. Doesn't stretch too much (compared to Somet 008 or SExIH01BK). 60 pairs were made.

Somet 008 SLIM

The cut on this jean is fucking amazing. Super duper pooper low rise with nice taper. There's room in the upper thigh and crotch area unlike the Skull 5010xx and PBJ XX-007 (these 2 crush my junk). Sanforized 13.8oz denim that's fading very nicely and stretches easily. Pockets are shallow all around, esp. the back ones.

SufuxWarehousexBig Contest Jeans-These have converted me from slim to normal fitting jeans. I don't think I can go back--what a good mistake by buying true to size. Low rise, fit me like a straight leg with my size. Really stiff even after two soaks and a wash. Purple-ish hue, kind of slubby, fades incredibly fast. I had a defined wallet outline within a week.

Skull 5507XX One-wash-My favorite fitting jean so far. Bought them true to size, but they're still quite slim after three washes. Fairly normal rise, slim but not snug in the thighs. Fades quite fast as well, this is by far my favorite blue that comes out in any jean.

• 1 month later...

Samurai s5000vx

Pros:

Incredibly great feeling. I love the way they fit. Size down 2, 1, or none at all youll still be satisfied. Even after 2 hotsoaks they managed to stand up by themselves :P.

Soft thick denim feels sooooooooo good.

Cons:

None. Completely satisfied. If youre unsatisfied it's probably because of the fit. You shouldn't have bought these then.

DIor Homme 19cm Raws:

Thin to medium weight denim. Comes not too stiff in comparison to other brands. Buy so that you cant do the clasp, as they will stretch all over in order to fit correctly. They are non selvedge. The made in japan version will stretch less and has a slimmer fit as opposed to the made in italy ones. They have a boxy top block, slim thighs, and then taper from the knee down into a skinny fit. The indigo ones will take about 6 months to show some good wear. The black ones will only crease, and eventually fade maybe a tinnnnnnnnnnny amount after very hard wear. The darts on the back pockets also give the jeans a nice fit. They are meant to be worn low on the hips slouched, giving the appearance of loose in the top, but skinny in the legs. They also will stack like crazy due to the huge inseam.

DIor Homme 19cm Raws:

Thin to medium weight denim. Comes not too stiff in comparison to other brands. Buy so that you cant do the clasp, as they will stretch all over in order to fit correctly. They are non selvedge. The made in japan version will stretch less and has a slimmer fit as opposed to the made in italy ones. They have a boxy top block, slim thighs, and then taper from the knee down into a skinny fit. The indigo ones will take about 6 months to show some good wear. The black ones will only crease, and eventually fade maybe a tinnnnnnnnnnny amount after very hard wear. The darts on the back pockets also give the jeans a nice fit. They are meant to be worn low on the hips slouched, giving the appearance of loose in the top, but skinny in the legs. They also will stack like crazy due to the huge inseam.

you serious, i have a pair that i thought was way too tight. I could do the clasp and then put them on and it was a really tight fit, but if i put them on first i couldnt do the clasp. is that the right size?

SEXSC02- hard as hell when i first got them, but softened up after a week or 2. this denim is simply beautiful, i have never gotten such beautiful fades before in my life. the houndstooth pocket lining and the ostrich leatherpatch also adds a nice touch to the denim. overall if anyone is looking for a nice slim pair of japanese denim, this may be the one.

KMW Rockers- these run 2" longer than the tag length for the stacking. the tapering is strong on this pair so it makes ur legs look slim but still makes it as if you have a big crouch and ass. i love seeing the selvedge line at the button fly everytime i pee too :)

APC NS- not a bad pair of denim to start off with especially for the price. i got the wrong size when i first bought these. so be warn, size down 2 for these.

ksubi deedee skunk in grey- soft as a pillow yet strong. though it's grey, it still fades as if it was normal indigo denim. and the 6th pocket at the left leg is nice if you're stashing a cheat-cheat for a test ;) go true to waist or size up on these.

julian red hoboken no wash- the guy a few posts before me was right. no matter how much i put these through it still stays dark. it's not the best or the worst denim i had, but it was fun to have around. the big white leather patch is also pretty neat to look at hahahaha. go true to waist on these, i went a size up cause i was looking for more of a straight cut this time around.

Kicking Mule Workshop 1980 Black - Rather rigid when you first get them, but should soften up. As with most black denim you won't see much fading, but there will be some over a long period of time. It has the redline selvage on the coin pocket that is typical of KMW. I found it fits rather true to size, but you can expect some stretching, so you can considering sizing down 1 (I did). Deer hide patch and black enamel coated metal. Low to mid rise.

Nom de Guerre Dry Selvage - Rather slim leg with a fairly tight waist, so you should go true to size or possibly size up 1 for a slightly more relaxed look. Mid rise with a straight leg. Haven't had much experience with the fading, so I can't comment on that. The indigo color is kinda neat and a little grainy looking. Has hidden back pocket rivets.

APC Hipster - Found under the womens section on the APC website. The fit is close to the New Standard with a 2 cm lower rise (1 less button) and a less tapered leg. It is selvage like the New Standard and all the same fit rules apply.

Good Society Slim Leg Synthetic - Non-selvage with a very slim leg. Size down one to account for some stretch. The tighter fit throughout the legs results in sharp creases and ultimately decent looking combs. Low-rise. Good Society is part of Sling & Stones and is big in organic denim and fair labor.

Good Society Straight Leg Synthetic - Similar to the slim leg, but with a looser fit.

Kicking Mule Workshop Rocker - 13 oz denim with a mid rise. The denim feel is similar to most KMW. The fit is rather slim/skinny and I'd size down a bit to account for stretch.

Rag & Bone RB11 - Not the heaviest denim out there, but still really nice. The cut is absolutely awesome. Not too slim straight. Nice cotton lined waist band to keep it from stretching too much. All the small details on this one are amazing too. Suspender buttons, half lines back pockets, hidden rivets, etc..

Its not flashy (no leather patch or loud back pocket stitching) Its a nice clean look. Highly recommended.

btw, mine is not the light weight version.

PBJ-XX06 (compared to the xx-03, xx-05, and xx-08)

the same regular fit as the xx-03 dyed a different way, made with different thread, and not slubby. they're supposed to look and feel like vintage denim. they shrink a lot more than the xx-005 but i was still fine even though i sized down 2 from my xx-005's. (note: as mentioned later this will not be the case with the xx-08) the xx-005's have more room in the waist and a lot less room in the thighs. i don't know know how much they stretch in the waist because i've always worn a belt with them and thighs are plenty roomy. they're a slightly lighter/different color than most raw denim off the bat. kind of a royal blue. it's perty and hard to capture on camera. i don't think the pictures on the BIG site do them justice. i can't speak from personal experience but all the pictures i've seen of them with a lot of wear are damn good looking. these are much easier to fade than the xx-05's. they're the softest denim i own even though they have the least wear. i consider them the perfect summer denim even though they're not super light weight. great for days when it's so hot and humid you can only wear light clothes that don't cling. they're also the most comfortable denim i own.

In summary( i should have probably just said this): if you want a straight leg that feels like you've been wearing them for years almost immediately, has the potential for somewhat unique fades, make summer tolerable, and don't mind that they're not super dark when new these are for you. if all that sounds great except the straight fit, get the xx-08's which are supposed to fit like the xx-05's. but size up on the xx-08's. the sizing is totally different on the 06's and 08's.

kicking mule indigo 1980

id say cut is between "slim" and "straight", denim fades very slowly and subtly. maybe it is the back rise, but ive found the 1980 a great cut to wear slouchy. best to size down one

nom de guerre grey selvedge left hand twill

very soft denim, almost feels like wool! very comfortable, even though they are cut the same as the indigo "classic" fit, the way the fabric falls makes it look like a slimmer cut, at least it appeared that way on me. id recommend sizing down one, though with as much give as the fabric has, if you are between sizes, you may be able to size down two