Recent Purchases. . .

CBM

hey england yeah i normally wear a size 10 on all my shoes i opted for a size 9 here " with the insoles" but later i found out when i got to the hotel that they didnt come with it.. so i should've gottent he 8.5's jesus ill get myself some insole's... anyway did you oil your's first before using them?

that is odd. I got my normal size - 8.5 - and they fit perfect. Mine didn't come with insoles and I haven't put any in yet. I bought some waterproofing paste stuff that the Redwing store guy recommended for waterproofed leather. I just oil them when they are looking a little dried out (I live in NM so once a week?)

PICT0358.jpg

so, this is how my states trip turned out purchase-wise..

A & F Trackpants

A& F t-shirt x 4

A & F shirt

Random university t-shirts (Yale and Army??)

Flat Head shortsleeve shirt

Tripleworks jacket

Banana Republic cardi

furthermore i got a new iPod, car iPod adapter, Eagles jersey, Harry Potter book (i love Harry), Pebble Beach golf towel and burts beeswax lip balm (the bomb)

They're canvas, and given their condition, and the way they're made (who's ever heard of canvas uppers being fully welted to a leather soft sole?) and the feel and condition of the soles I'd definitely say they're more than half a century old. But then again, I could be completely wrong ;)

hey england yeah i normally wear a size 10 on all my shoes i opted for a size 9 here " with the insoles" but later i found out when i got to the hotel that they didnt come with it.. so i should've gottent he 8.5's jesus ill get myself some insole's... anyway did you oil your's first before using them?

I bought some Red Wing brand Mink Oil wax which I apply every few weeks (depending on how much I wear them). But yeah, it wouldn't hurt you to put some on immediately since this particular model isn't really treated yet and a thin coating will help prevent minor water damage, etc.

So if I wear 10 in other shoes, I should size down to 8.5 in Red Wing? Because I am thinking about getting one as well.

Thanks

Not all Red Wings have as odd sizing as this particular model. I wear an 11 in Nike, etc. and the 10.5 875s fit me well enough. In the 1908s, however (as Edmond pictured), I originally ordered a 10 from Cultizm and was swimming in them so much that an insole wouldn't have helped at all. Depends on what you are referencing your shoe size to; I wear a 10-10.5 in many dress shoes, but an 11 in tennis shoes, so I can't tell you to size down 1.5 sizes as a steadfast rule. Definitely go down one size though (in the 1908s that is) from your tennis shoe size.

PICT0358.jpg

so, this is how my states trip turned out purchase-wise..

A & F Trackpants

A& F t-shirt x 4

A & F shirt

Random university t-shirts (Yale and Army??)

Flat Head shortsleeve shirt

Tripleworks jacket

Banana Republic cardi

furthermore i got a new iPod, car iPod adapter, Eagles jersey, Harry Potter book (i love Harry), Pebble Beach golf towel and burts beeswax lip balm (the bomb)

i'm sorry, but A&F is the worst brand... the people associated with it, everything about it, you could have got much better from the USA... that is the typical college bro store

They're canvas, and given their condition, and the way they're made (who's ever heard of canvas uppers being fully welted to a leather soft sole?) and the feel and condition of the soles I'd definitely say they're more than half a century old. But then again, I could be completely wrong ;)

I don't think those are that old because the canvas would have probably started

to rot at the seams by now. Unless they look like they were not worn that much and storred well. Either way they are bad ass!

Any idea who they were made by?

you know what: if you totally remove A&F from its context here in the states, they actually put out pretty sturdy garments... I buy the occasional work oxford from there from the clearance section (but only the now defunct Ezra Fitch stuff, no visible logos + slim fit) better than Gap or most other mall fare.

... they deserve neg rep for playing their techno music at 180 dBs. So loud!

NO Shit! I walked by that place a few months ago in a mall in Dallas and it was deafening. I assumed it was just the dumb ass kids that worked at that location that did that. I guess it's corporately mandated.

NO Shit! I walked by that place a few months ago in a mall in Dallas and it was deafening. I assumed it was just the dumb ass kids that worked at that location that did that. I guess it's corporately mandated.

Yeah, not to derail this thread, but there really isn't need for a separate A&F thread. But the owner of the company Mike Jeffries is a real freak of nature. There is all of this corporate protocol, including the loud music, spraying all of their clothes with their fragrances, never discounting their clothes, etc...

I mean, just look at the guy:

story.jpg

crillz, your shoes bring a tear to my eye... i wish i could fit into a woman's shoe. im with jimmy on this, any idea who they're made by?

::edit:: sometimes i hate the fact that my last name is Fitch, cool if you want a skin tight shirt with your last name on it for 40 bucks, not cool when you actually dig quality fashion

San Francisco???:(

.. That's too bad, I was under the impression that SF had good shopping?

Digital There are plenty of cities that are more deprived than SF.

In Superstars defense, the Euros really go nuts for the A&F, and it doesnt carry the same negative connotations as it does stateside. Just don't wear it here. :)

Yeah, I've come across a decent amount of "American Fashion" stores over in Europe that carries this and other crap I wouldn't be caught dead wearing.

for realz, that bed looks like a dave matthews concert.

Hahaha .. fuckin DMB. Makes me sick.

.. That's too bad, I was under the impression that SF had good shopping?

I think as recently as 5 years ago, there could have been a strong argument made that SF was one of the most poorly dressed cities in the US. A large reason for that is in part due to having one of the lowest under-30 population (percentage-wise) of any mid to large city in the country. With that said, most of the old school stores for men (Wilkes Bashford, Saks, etc), catered to the 40+ set.

However, during that time, Union Square definately made vast improvements in catering to more fashionable 20 to 30 year olds. I also noticed a large influx of small boutiques in Hayes Valley, Marina, Mission, Haight, Fillmore, etc, that have helped SF tremendously.

SF was also the first West Coast cities to have H&M, Reiss, etc. Don't quote me on that, I made it up. The new bloomingdales is amazing, and so is the new Westfield in general. Havent checked out Barneys, but considering how much money time energy was sunk into that location, I can't imagine it not being impressive.

/2 cents.

It's funny .. I've traveled to Asia and Europe numerous times but still have yet to go to California.

Thanks for the science, 47. I suppose I was under the impression because there seems to be a decent amount of SFer's from that area.