Crate Denim

soultek

Haven't seen too much mention here about them. They make some jeans that were made from deadstock denim from Levis from the 60's? Not sure about the facts on this. I saw them in person, was interesting. Very light weight dry denim. some natural fabric distressing (maybe from storage for 40 years?). Also the backside a bunch of those blue 'knots'

They also have a light blue "veggie" style raw denim too. Also light weight, almost feels like a stretchy material.

Not selvedge (though I don't care too much). Stitching was a little sloppy.

Honestly I feel that they are overpriced at 250$. But I liked them because they were different and up my alley as far as concept.

Oh, and there's two cuts, a lower rise slight bootcut, and a traditional 5 pocket.

for those who care..

Any thoughts?

I am a pretty big fan. They have just the right fit for me. I have two pairs, the denim is better than any Nudie, Rogan, Earnest I've owned. Here in Chicago they retail for $135-$150. I know they did an exclusive with Fred Segal in Santa Monica where they made only 40 pairs of one style that came with a crate disposable camera. I haven't seen the "veggie" style denim. Was is Carhartt looking? It seems they love industrial wear.

Quote:

I am a pretty big fan. They have just the right fit for me. I have two pairs, the denim is better than any Nudie, Rogan, Earnest I've owned. Here in Chicago they retail for $135-$150. I know they did an exclusive with Fred Segal in Santa Monica where they made only 40 pairs of one style that came with a crate disposable camera. I haven't seen the "veggie" style denim. Was is Carhartt looking? It seems they love industrial wear.

--- Original message by stirwell on Aug 14, 2005 09:27 AM

No, it wasn't carhartt looking. kinda like the nudie veggie in color, but less starched and lighter weight. Did not look industrial.

I think those 40 pairs are gone. What was limited about it besides the camera?

both the deadstock and veggie pairs were 250$.

Besides the camera, the Fred Segal pant is a different cut with a limited deadstocked denim. There was only enough denim to make 40 pairs which Fred Segal got the rights to sale. My brother still lives in LA and swears by them. He wears a tighter, lower rise pant than I do though. $250 would be tough for me to spend on any pant.

I recently bought the James in a dark dry denim. Mine cost $140. I wear them everyday and the Chicago heat has lended well to the fade of them.

• 7 months later...
Quote:

--- Original message by stirwell on Aug 14, 2005 09:27 AM

where in chicago did you get those????

i'm not a mod or a rocker. i'm a mocker.

dont believe the hype. These pants shrunk extremely. fairly baggy slim fit to ball chokin tight.. i dunno wtf..

second! the stitching on these pants are very very shitty. the treads are coming apart like crazy and every time you wash it you have to cut off all these trend from every single part where the fabric comes togethers....

very poor quality and not worth 145 which i paid for at barney's

• 3 weeks later...
Guest blackbird

I own Blackbird, a men's clothing store in Seattle and I sell Crate denim. Currently I have the James IV for $132 in a raw light blue (think very 60's) and the Sally for $152. For Fall we'll have a total of five styles in stock.

I can send pictures and I'll ship anywhere if you want to try a pair.

• 4 weeks later...

I hate to bump a really old topic, but I found this link in a google search and wanted to clear up the problem.

I see you said "every time you wash it" in regards to the crates. Crate makes raw selvage denim that is not intended to be washed more than once or twice a year...if that. The reason you saw the shrink was because these jeans are manufactured to be worn and broken in and stretched before they are washed the first time.

The quality is actually fairly good. They don't hold the same stitching standards as my Nudie dry selvage, but I also paid double the price for those, so I would hope so. My g/f just bought me a pair about a week ago and they're still in the new stage, so I'll post some pictures later so you guys can see them.

Guest Airjamie
Quote:

there was an article on them in the newest anthem. there was another post too. not sure if that had any more info than this one though.

--- Original message by mlproject on Apr 6, 2006 05:56 PM

I think i have that one, has the cast in it too, right?

Oh and you can snag some really sick ones at active endeavors.

I punch my bitch to Godflesh.

Quote:

fits really nice if your tall/slim

--- Original message by renski on May 24, 2006 02:29 PM

yes, tall is a definite... but the UNI style cut is a tad more forgiving for non-skinny peoples. I fit between a size 34 and 35 (36's are baggy) in earnest sewns, nudies and the Uni cut of crates but when I tried on the James 3rds (in size 34) I couldn't put my calf through the damn knees.

• 1 year later...