Which get-up is better for a job interview?

It depends on what the job is, and what the other workers are actually wearing to work. A suit will make a better impression, but could be 'over-dressing' for some jobs. Wear whichever will be most appropriate..?

woooord

if its an office where everyone else is wearing suits, the first option sounds more appropriate. but its impossible to say just based on the outfits, it depends on what kind of a place it is, how much and what kind of people there are, how old they are and how they dress etc etc..

As a general guideline for interview attire, you should try to wear what you think your would-be boss wears regularly.

My opinion: your interviewer(s) isn't going to care about the fit as long as it isn't sloppy, but he/she will think twice if you're underdressed.

Not looking at what the position is for, I would say go with a suit over chinos and a blazer.

As a general guideline for interview attire, you should try to wear what you think your would-be boss wears regularly.

I know that, but, seeing as my boss would likely be a woman, I'd feel uncomfortable in a skirt or pantsuit. :)

I'm leaning toward wearing the suit. It's not so bad, just a little loose in the chest. The length and sleeves are fine.

If you are still in a quandary I would go with the suit everytime. It's impossible to be overdressed for an interview (unless you go in a tux of course.)

It might be cool to be causal once you work there but a suit shows that you look professional when required and have made an effort. Even if everyone who works there is in jeans I think a suit is the way to go in an interview situation. Just as you'd wear one if you were trying to close down a really important PR client at board level.

Go with the suit

T

Definately go with the suit, first impressions count and if they think you're too relaxed. I got an interview soon too, and all the advice I had about what to wear was "be conservative". You just can't go wrong with it, cant say the same about the navy/khaki combo.

I've read that it depends on what type of job you're interviewing for and your location. Where the weather is warmer and the job less rigid, the second option would work best. A tech job in silicon valley, for instance, would probably call for that outfit.

well the sized up look is so common with men that unless appearance matters greatly in your job or super self conscious it's not going to be a problem. sloppiness comes more from grooming or accessories/details so just make sure to get those in order and you should be good. chinos are too casual imo unless you're going in for a creative job, though if you have good wool slacks those may work.

btw if you're worried about coming off as too square you can always skate in. good luck.

This New York man, wear a suit. Get your mind right. You've probably got a fresh out of college look anyway so nobody is expecting your suit to fit well. The khakis & blue blazer is known as "casual" in most business environments. Throwing a tie on with it doesn't make it any better. This is an interview -- what are they gonna do, blame you for wearing a suit to an interview? This shouldn't even be a question. I don't know where you got the idea that going casual to a business interview is OK. Wearing a blue blazer and khakis brings you down a notch.

It's important to know the industry. In some ad agencies/pr firms a suit can be seen as not creative enough.

if it's a boutique pr firm doing any kind of fashion/art related stuff you gotta listen to this guy

since the thread has already been hijacked, i will point out that a suit and tie is always correct - obviously more creative type joints can allow for a more tricked out execution of the concept. i'm sure there are expections, but if you're applying to one and don't have connects, know the rules or how to break them then you're probably drawing dead anyway.

I diagree wholheartedly. The last too jobs that I've gotten, I was wearing casual clothing. Like I said, research your industry and know what is appropriate. I had a buddy who went for an interview at an ad agency, and the interviewer asked him why he was wearing a suit and got offended.