Mac V Pc?

Guest DUM

Ok, so I'm pretty set on buying an imac when I get a new job, I really like the presentation of leopard and the hardware itself. Right-clicking is the only thing I will miss that I see right now.

Now I understand there's lots of pros and cons for each but most important for me are

- Adobe Photoshop/Illustrator/Dreamweaver

- iTunes

- watching DVDs/movies

- instant messaging

- stupid widgets

As far as I know these are all just fine if not better on a mac, right? I don't ever plan on playing computer games. Are there any limitations I'll run into with a mac?

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering the things you want to do, I don't see any limitations. The processing power and RAM required to run all those smoothly can be found in a very stock Mac (I don't own one but I'm assuming not many people even build custom macs?) and if you ever should play a game, should be sufficient for games.

Peoples with iMacs in cafe, all they do is like write papers and code yeah?

Ok, so I'm pretty set on buying an imac when I get a new job, I really like the presentation of leopard and the hardware itself. Right-clicking is the only thing I will miss that I see right now.

You can always use a mouse with a right-click function rather than the standard Apple mouse.

Do the new iMacs use the intel chipset? If they do, you can always use Bootcamp to run windows. I've been doing this for some time now, so I can't think of any limitations off hand, but I believe the only complaint I ever had back when I used Macs / OS X exclusively was the occasional application not running on Macs (mostly games).

msn messenger sucks on my gf's macbook - always drops in and out for some reason, but that could just be hers. you can't do video calls from the mac messnger to pc messenger - no sexys for me :(

bootcamp is cool, but it always fucks up the clock on both sides for some reason. no real biggie, but is annoying.

i think her imac has fuck all usb ports, etc too?

If those are the programs you will be using all the time, I vote Mac 100%.

I use them for home and work (Macbook for work and powerbook for home) and I love them both. Although the macbook hauls way more ass than my 2 year old powerbook, plus has a whole host of better features.

msn messenger sucks on my gf's macbook - always drops in and out for some reason, but that could just be hers. you can't do video calls from the mac messnger to pc messenger - no sexys for me :(

bootcamp is cool, but it always fucks up the clock on both sides for some reason. no real biggie, but is annoying.

i think her imac has fuck all usb ports, etc too?

Adium supports every IM protocol someone would ever need, no need for the 3-4 years old MSN Messenger client. It still doesn't support video but iChat (for .mac and aim) supports it.

Also, the clock settings can be 'automatically resync'd' both in windows and os x. It might be screwed up when you first boot but once the time server resyncs your comp, you'll be good to go :)

Also, I'm about 99.99% sure the USB problem is directly related to your gf's mac and is not a general issue with the model. Is it still on the warranty?

Back to OP: If you don't want to play games, go Mac. I'm mostly programming (unix tools, python, objective-c & cocoa), media-related stuff (photoshop, itunes, the occasional iMovie/iDVD) and I've been a mac user for the last 4 years. I have debian installed on one of my iBooks for when I want something exotic outside OS X, but haven't used windows in ages ;)

Also, I'm about 99.99% sure the USB problem is directly related to your gf's mac and is not a general issue with the model. Is it still on the warranty?

i meant 'fuck all' as in 'doesn't have many'. they work fine, there just isn't many of them!

adium seems cool though, i'll give it a shot.

i meant 'fuck all' as in 'doesn't have many'. they work fine, there just isn't many of them!

adium seems cool though, i'll give it a shot.

oh, my bad! Well, my keyboard has extra usb (but they're not usb 2... I assume the new keyboards come with usb 2.0 plugs) I have to admit the iMac itself could probably use a few more.

are you gonna get a laptop or a desktop?

imac_narrowweb__300x442,2.jpg

I don't like only having a laptop, and this laptop is enough if I ever do need the portability. But for the most part it sits on my desk.

If you don't need a top of the line laptop, get an iMac and eBay an iBook G4. A gig of ram, ~1.1Ghz.. should be enough to do your everyday stuff for less than 500$. If you can afford it, wait for 2-3 weeks and grab the new line of macbook (which should be cheaper than the current ones)

too many apple-z0rs.

i'm going to promote pc's cause i have one myself and have no intention to switch to mac.

personally, if i were gonna switch OS it would be linux but they ahve crappy compatibility issues so i stick with windows XP (vistas is for the mentally handicapped)