American Gangster

gfunkdocta

I watched a portion of it while i was up in Santa Babera for halloween weekend (which is why I only saw a portion of it). From what I saw, I didn't enjoy it. I felt like this guy who was supplying his neighborhoods and people of his race with one of the most destructive drugs known to man is partly responsible for the situation black people are in today.

I didn't get passed the part where Denzel had negotiated moving all that weight through vietnam and suddenly every black person in town was lining up to by smack.

The way they've been glorifying this whole, "hey, hes a black guy making loads of loot mobbin n whatnot buyin is momma a big ol' house n ridin in flashy cars" thing, I hope to God the rest of the movie didn't just coast over the fact that he's doing something morally wrong.

I may be looking too deeply into it, but on BET and whatnot they keep casting Denzels character in a positive admirable light, which I feel is wrong

...the way they've been glorifying this whole, "hey, hes a black guy making loads of loot mobbin n whatnot buyin is momma a big ol' house n ridin in flashy cars" thing, I hope to God the rest of the movie didn't just coast over the fact that he's doing something morally wrong.

I may be looking too deeply into it, but on BET and whatnot they keep casting Denzels character in a positive admirable light, which I feel is wrong

i agree with you on this. i wouldn't say this kind of thing is why blacks are in the social state they are today, but moreso that their views on this kind of thing is responsible

Finally got around to watching it last night. It was good flick, about what I expected it to be although it did seem like a lot of story to pack into 2 1/2 hours. Would have made a better mini-series on HBO or something I think.

Once again I guess there's yet another DVD Special Edition waiting to be made... Scott's films aren't exactly done justice by the pressures of cinema edits.

• 4 weeks later...

i saw this film last night . was very much impressd with it , Mr lucas was jailed then released . to then go bk in again for drugs .. finally coming back out in 1991 . i was amazed how one guy can have that much power , but still a famaily man

I cant say they glorified the drug trade int his movie, but they did gloss over the fact that he did have a small hand in destroying his community. They did make sure to point out that if it wasnt him, it would be somebody else though, and probably the cops.

I think it was more about the culture that allowed for something like this to happen. A huge underworld that was ruled by crooked cops, for the most part. Lucas just found a way to exploit it.

I didnt know his story so the ending tripped me out.

haha theres this theater near me that never has anyone checking tickets

i saw this last weekend, glad i held off on the dvd version, i dont think it would have done it justice

fucking great flick. i even actually liked russell crowe in it. and cuba as nicky barnes was casting move of the century.

I cant say they glorified the drug trade int his movie, but they did gloss over the fact that he did have a small hand in destroying his community. They did make sure to point out that if it wasnt him, it would be somebody else though, and probably the cops.

I think it was more about the culture that allowed for something like this to happen. A huge underworld that was ruled by crooked cops, for the most part. Lucas just found a way to exploit it.

I didnt know his story so the ending tripped me out.

The turned Lucas' character into a robin hood type figure I think. He basically stated in an interview that he brought his family up from the south to run his trade because he they were "simple folk" and would be less likely to steal/backstab than some of the nyc cats.

• 2 weeks later...