cycling in jeans

Blackplatano

An idea I had included saving the extra inches of denim that is cut off when getting hemmed or using another pair of jeans for material.

Reinforce the crotch region with an extra layer of denim.

Would the holes still develop just as fast as both layers wear at the same pace or would one layer break down first and the second layer actually be able to reinforce the crotch?

I have been reinforcing multiple parts of the crotch area on an "as needed" basis and it seems to stop the holes from growing when a patch is sewed underneath the hole area.

So i did a search and i don't find a consensus.

So i decided to start a thread.

What do you think about cycling in jeans?

How do you avoid crotch rips?

ETC.

I'm thinking about using my bike for my commute, but i don't want any crotch rips.

cycling will naturally put lots of friction and strain into the crotch and the seat of your pants. i'm not sure there's a whole lot you can do to prevent it when your legs are moving back and forth so many times per minute. this isn't to say that your crotch will automatically blow out the second you sit on a bike though. i bike in my jeans often, and while the crotches of them are noticably more worn than other parts, i haven't had any issues yet.

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?t=12565

I guess this is where you didn't find a consensus?

Ill not reiterate what I wrote in the thread above, but I'm basically anti cycling in jeans (at least ones that you care about).

I completely agree with that sentiment. Everytime I get on my bike with a nice pair of jeans I do something stupid an put a hole in them, the most recent (and painful) accident concerned a pair of Edwin Greenvilles...

Funny you should ask about this.. On November 10th we're releasing the SEXIH03 jeans.

They're jeans we've designed from the ground up to be worn by cyclists.

21 ounce selvedge denim, higher rise in the back, lower rise in the front, crotch rivet, crotch cross stitch bar tacked and moved 1" closer to the front, rear pockets moved outwards .5" and sized exactly to fit a mini u-lock, room in the thigh area but extremely slim below the knee, silver key fob hanging from belt loop, and extra belt loops in the rear.

I've never had problems with strange fading or crotch tears because of riding and i road nearly ever single day last august to may. but i am extremely curious about the sexih03's a jean that would be made for cycling and not look like shit is extremely intriguing

If I can't bike in my jeans, I can't wear them. Every weekday I bike to uni and back (>1 hour total), and I won't stop doing that. I need the excercise and save the environment, and that 40 minute ride really helps me wake up in the morning. I do wash pretty frequently though, because I have to, but it's all worth it.

Funny you should ask about this.. On November 10th we're releasing the SEXIH03 jeans.

This sounds perfect Kiya, consider me a customer.

21 ounce selvedge denim, higher rise in the back, lower rise in the front, crotch rivet, crotch cross stitch bar tacked and moved 1" closer to the front, rear pockets moved outwards .5" and sized exactly to fit a mini u-lock, room in the thigh area but extremely slim below the knee, silver key fob hanging from belt loop, and extra belt loops in the rear.

I love the idea, they sound really well thought out but the days of cycling in jeans worth more than £50 are long gone for me. Regardless of what features you incorporate they're still going to tear when you fall off...

I love the idea, they sound really well thought out but the days of cycling in jeans worth more than £50 are long gone for me. Regardless of what features you incorporate they're still going to tear when I fall off...

What if i said that i guarantee that these won't tear when you fall off?

If they DO tear, it'll probably mean the jeans are the least of your worries.

What if i said that i guarantee that these won't tear when you fall off?

If they DO tear, it'll probably mean the jeans are the least of your worries.

That is some guarantee Kiya and I'm being a bit duplicitous. I ride BMX and wear hard cap knee gaskets under my jeans so tears on the knee tend to be a question of when not if. Having said that I've never ridden in or owned a pair of 21oz jeans.

That is some guarantee Kiya and I'm being a bit duplicitous. I ride BMX and wear hard cap knee gaskets under my jeans so tears on the knee tend to be a question of when not if. Having said that I've never ridden in or owned a pair of 21oz jeans.

Nice! It's so rare to find another BMX rider..

As much as these jeans will be mostly bought by fixie riders, i'm a BMX rider and can't wait to ride around the city with these..

Here are a few of my bikes.. i know, this isn't the bike thread, but fuck it.

http://www.bmxmuseum.com/bikes/user/4948

Yea, don't want jeans in the chain... if they're loose around the hem, either cuff up to shin, or pinroll would work too. Or rubber bands, or a clothes pin.

I bike in jeans out of necessity, and the result is a silly-looking ass fade and developing crotch holes in a pair of No.2 Evisus (my first raw denim). Oh well, though. Patch 'em and keep them off bikes for a while.

i noticed that almost all fixie riders roll up their jeans. is this to prevent them from getting caught in the sprocket? would pinrolling work the same?

Yeah, but it's also because getting jeans caught in the chain/chainring of a fixed gear is so much worse than getting jeans caught in a regular chainring. On a normal bike, if you get your jeans caught, you stop pedaling. Since there is no freewheel on a fixie, you are almost certainly going to crash if you jam up the chain on a fixed gear with any kind of speed.

Yeah, but it's also because getting jeans caught in the chain/chainring of a fixed gear is so much worse than getting jeans caught in a regular chainring. On a normal bike, if you get your jeans caught, you stop pedaling. Since there is no freewheel on a fixie, you are almost certainly going to crash if you jam up the chain on a fixed gear with any kind of speed.

truth! you will most likly eat shit, if this happens. Or tear the hell out of your jeans. Wildstyle has got me looking into this whole fixed gear idea, and more and more it's starting to appeal to me.

truth! you will most likly eat shit, if this happens. Or tear the hell out of your jeans. Wildstyle has got me looking into this whole fixed gear idea, and more and more it's starting to appeal to me.

It is a lot of fun, I've been riding fixed for quite a while now and it's just more fun. But, keep your brakes. The brakeless thing is just stupid.