IS BATHING APE/BAPE Dead in Japan???

lv d0n

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yesterday, I decided to check out the SoHo BAPE store just for kicks. It was all full of white surburb families. Best part was seeing a 40+ year old dad try on some Bapestas while the grandma and wife contemplated the merits of neon strawberry orange and limegreen.... BAPE is officially dead. Seeing a bunch of suburb white "headz" tourists rock BAPE is a surest sign the label is dead. Hell, they were even carrying American Eagle Outfitter bags on the way out...

Quote:

Yesterday, I decided to check out the SoHo BAPE store just for kicks. It was all full of white surburb families. Best part was seeing a 40+ year old dad try on some Bapestas while the grandma and wife contemplated the merits of neon strawberry orange and limegreen.... BAPE is officially dead. Seeing a bunch of suburb white "headz" tourists rock BAPE is a surest sign the label is dead. Hell, they were even carrying American Eagle Outfitter bags on the way out...

--- Original message by djrajio on Aug 7, 2005 08:54 AM

....Damn!!!!...

Don't tell kids Bape isn't cool. They'll just move on to the next Japanese label and ruin that. icon_smile_wink.gif

Quoted this in another thread. From http://www.pliink.com/mt/marxy/archives/000171.html :

"Being imitated in a short amount of adoption time forces a no-win solution: quickly abandoning a style because it's being copied by "less cool" people also means abandoning something that the fashion leader is supposed to "honestly" think is fashionable. These days, the media can spot a trend in its infancy, which leads to the following trend-killing responses: 1) People who shouldn't know about it learn about it just as fast as "cooler" people ["see you at the Warsaw this friday after Finance class. lol"] 2) Those with access to alternate, negative information about the brand can freely spread the word ["Casey Spooner can't sing."] and 3) Those who pride themselves on being "in the know" are immediately turned off by learning about a trend from the internet. ["whatever W.I.T. is, I now hate it."]"

Speaking of the Soho Bape store, I work around the corner on Berwick Street and eat lunch in Golden Square right next to it. Walking past there you see the biggest bunch of twats you can imagine, wearing the same stupid clothes every single day, looking like the Neptunes just puked all over them.

And yeah they are all stupid, white, semi-rich people who seem to run back and forth all day between there and the Mhi store round the corner, frothing at the mouth over anything limited edition.

I'd rather run around all day wearing spandex pants, an eminem t-shirt and a pair of roller blades than look as boring as the busy workshop's clientele.

Bathing ape was barely hip 2 years ago, if you see a band wagon then it's far to late to get on board

who cares what people in japan wear?

I judge stuff on my tastes, not the japanese general publics

Lol at comparnig southpole to BAPE

Last I checked VIM stil had 150 of each color southpole bubble coat while bape hoodies only sell 15 per color world wide

Edited by jjs home on Aug 7, 2005 at 09:10 PM

maybe its just me, but can anyone else see a slight resemblence between russell simmons and nigo . . . the dumb, smarmy grin, the bulging-out-of-their-sockets fish eyes . . oh yeah, and the fact that they both dress like 12 year olds. . . . ALL THE TIME. . . here's to grown men always wearing children's clothing . . .

simmons.jpg

nigo.jpg