what is kaws really?

aitsuka

is he a man? or some kinda mutated creature? what the X X on the logo of every bape tee

who created kaws? why the marriage with bape now?

and this a fuckin serious thread, I want to know why a simple design can create such hype

-don't hate, appreciate-

Edited by aitsuka on Aug 5, 2005 at 07:08 AM

graf artist. i capped some of his original pieces from jersey/nyc in the early 90s. i think i posted one of them on the board here last year.

it's just a phase and you know damn well that you'll fall off in a minute cause that shit don't sell"

Quote:

i bet you guys will be surprised to see how kaws actually looks like in real life icon_smile_wink.gif

--- Original message by hahnstch on Aug 5, 2005 08:35 AM

Let's see how he looks like.

i've been wondering about this myself! also, to a greater extent, i've sort of been meditiating on the appeal of DALEK ...

well, you look at a piece like this:

http://www.ksurf.net/~armvr/kaws/kawsone/08.htm

and you'll notice: 1) amazingly dynamic lines 2) powerful symmetry and proportion 3) beautiful manipulation of complementary color and 4) strong technical skill.

basically he's taking the time-honored formal trappings of abstract modernist practice (look at kandinsky and especially frank stella are two that come to mind) and dropping it into the context of "street art".

or to put it another way: people can tell the difference between shitty art and a "natural artist", pretty much anybody can intuitively sense strong composition and a confident hand.

that's what KAWS has - skill, heaps and piles of it ...

or to put it another way - it's sort of hard to imagine any of the photos/ads in the KAWS ONE gallery without KAWS' intervention ... can you imagine this kate moss piece:

http://www.ksurf.net/~armvr/kaws/kawsone/06.htm

without the KAWS graphic? i've seen it (not going to be bothered looking around the net for it right now) ... after seeing KAWS' version, the original just looks unbalanced and off-centered.

improving on the compositions of already-awesome fashion photographers = not a simple trick, at all!

he sort of ... completes the compositions he intervenes on.

mind you: this is not meant to be an apology / explanation for the recent buying mania over glow-in-the-dark vinyl toys. if you are asking me to explain rebranding mania - well, i can't really do that, or explain what connection people see between KAWS' strongest work and t-shirts he sells - but you don't need me to explain to you that buying into the aura of genius is what streetwear / fashion / art and capitalism have ALWAYS been about anyway ...

From what I understand, kaws used to work with the MTA so he had the keys to open those bus station advertising things. Basically, he would take the ads out- bring them home- and do these sick designs (the X X over the eyes) and put them back in the next day. I have no idea how he has blown up to the level that he is at now, but I can say that some of his work is pretty cool.

www.reasonclothing.com

• 1 month later...