Dries Van Noten discussion thread

herpsky

the line on dries is that he's the "belgian ralph lauren" which actually isn't that far off c.f. the resort comment above. like any other established designers, his lines are a mix of basics (which are reasonably priced) and more "theme" oriented pieces which i suppose are bound to have its share of detractors.

although you will almost never be wowed by his men's line (as opposed to his womenswear) they are very solidly made of quality material and occasionally have fantastic detailing as minya mentioned.

i am sorry but i have to beg to differ. comparing dries to ralph lauren is an insult to dries, imho. sorry but i have no good things to say about american designers.;)

i feel dries is good at prints, his stuff often look more ethnic than industrial or avant garde, both common observations for belgian designers.

i was referring to a common aesthetic viewpoint for their men's line, in that they both have an element of being an aspirational lifestyle brand (completely different lifestyles, but still). i didn't really connect the dots until i went to the modepaleis and saw the full presentation.

stereotyping american designers is about as useful as stereotyping belgian designers, e.g. not terribly useful - but hey whatever floats your boat