Filipino American Harassed By H&M Employee

pete mcstunna

Figured some of you might be interested in reading this piece...The claimant is one of my good friend's sisters. Sorry if I haven't posted this thread in the appropriate forum

http://www.everythingisdesign.com/2007/09/24/filipino-american-harassed-by-hm-employee/

(Chicago, IL) - Asian American Institute filed a discrimination complaint with the City of Chicago Commission on Human Relations, seeking redress for Frannie Richards, a Filipino American nurse who suffered anti-Asian and sex-based harassment at the Magnificent Mile H&M department store. The harassment included “mail-order bride†comments, ridicule concerning Ms. Richards’ ability to understand English, as well as mocking “ching, ching, chang†noises by an H&M employee.

“Anti-Asian, xenophobic, and misogynist verbal attacks still happen on a daily basis,†said Asian American Institute Legal Director Myron Dean Quon. “Asian American women, like Ms. Richards, should never have to deal with this type of harassment, in Chicago no less.â€

This past September, when Ms. Richards entered H&M to go shopping for clothes, she had no idea that she would be the victim of a hostile and threatening environment. “As a registered nurse and retired U.S. Air Force Reserve Staff Sgt., I knew that I had to enforce my civil rights, for myself and other Asian American women. Because H&M refused to discipline this employee, I immediately thought of my own female relatives and friends. The workplace usage of disparaging anti-Asian slurs should require the termination of that H&M employee.â€

Quon noted that Asian Americans should be able to visit retail establishments and other businesses without having to endure a humiliating and offensive environment. Asian American Institute will represent Ms. Richards based her claim that H&M violated the City’s Human Rights Ordinance, when the employee harassed Ms. Richards and also when in it refused her request to file a formal complaint. Chicago’s anti-discrimination ordinances guard against discrimination, including anti-Asian and sex-based discrimination, when the discriminatory incident takes place in Chicago and involves employment, housing, public accommodations, credit, or bonding.

Myron Dean Quon is the attorney on Richards v. H&M Hennes & Mauritz, Case #07-P-100.

# # #

The Asian American Institute (www.aaichicago.org) is the region’s pan-Asian nonprofit organization dedicated to empowering the Asian Pacific American community through advocacy, by utilizing research, education, and coalition-building.

September 24, 2007

AAI Legal Director

Cell: 773-865-6742

Work: 773-271-0899

[email protected]

even SUPREME employees dont resort to "ching chang chong". the fuckz??

For real though, this is really suprising to me considering the huge amount of tourists that frequent the magnificent mile, I'm confused as to what would've prompted that employee to start making those comments. Wonder if they'll aznbitchitize me next time i shop there.

This is a fucking joke right? What does this have to do with Supershopper? Racially-fueled harrassment happens a million times a day in a million different places all over the world. This case is absurdly unimportant and inconsequential.

“Asian American women, like Ms. Richards, should never have to deal with this type of harassment, in Chicago no less.”

Uh, right........and non-Asian American women should.

This is a fucking joke right? What does this have to do with Supershopper? Racially-fueled harrassment happens a million times a day in a million different places all over the world. This case is absurdly unimportant and inconsequential.

SEZ DA WEALTHY CRACKER

THIS IS Y WE CAN HAV NICE THINGZ

The H&M employee didn't know who he was fucking with because the lady he insulted is actually well connected in Chicago. Ha ha ha. ha. I'm curious who you is Pete McStunna...cause I know Frannie's sis too in a round-about way.

honestly tho, i'm not really getting why this is such a huge deal... it'll be interesting how this turns out tho--there's gonna be a protest infront of the store on saturday. heh.

The H&M employee didn't know who he was fucking with because the lady he insulted is actually well connected in Chicago. Ha ha ha. ha. I'm curious who you is Pete McStunna...cause I know Frannie's sis too in a round-about way.

honestly tho, i'm not really getting why this is such a huge deal... it'll be interesting how this turns out tho--there's gonna be a protest infront of the store on saturday. heh.

CHING...chang??

i totally agree with you england.

Ha hah.

Seriously though, this thread is retarded. We are given approximately 4 sentences of an explanation of an alleged interaction between a random H&M employee at a random H&M store and a woman we know nothing about and we are supposed to be 'educated' by this? For all we know, she could have been hysterical and called the employee a 'curry-scented punjab' because he didn't get her the right dress size.

I mean, is Superfuture supposed to 'relate' to this because it was an H&M employee? Seriously? I bet at one point a UNIQLO or fucking Cloak employee has probably raped someone, but you don't see people starting goddamn threads about it.

Ha hah.

Seriously though, this thread is retarded. We are given approximately 4 sentences of an explanation of an alleged interaction between a random H&M employee at a random H&M store and a woman we know nothing about and we are supposed to be 'educated' by this? For all we know, she could have been hysterical and called the employee a 'curry-scented punjab' because he didn't get her the right dress size.

I mean, is Superfuture supposed to 'relate' to this because it was an H&M employee? Seriously? I bet at one point a UNIQLO or fucking Cloak employee has probably raped someone, but you don't see people starting goddamn threads about it.

ching chong ching cahng. chang chinga chinga ching. CHONG!

What does this have to do with Supershopper?

My bad, england. Superculture would have been the obvious choice.

The purpose of posting a link to this article was to create a healthy exchange: involving sufu members articulating their respective values and arguments. While most people have contended the case itself is irrelevant -- I am compelled to agree with such believers -- it is nice to see not all members on this forum think alike.

I'm curious who you is Pete McStunna...cause I know Frannie's sis too in a round-about way.

I know Robyn through Ducky, a good buddy of mine...and probably a few others who attended VON with you. I think you pm'ed me before saying you guys went to school together.

The purpose of posting a link to this article was to create a healthy exchange: involving sufu members articulating their respective values and arguments. While most people have contended the case itself is irrelevant -- I am compelled to agree with such believers -- it is nice to see not all members on this forum think alike.

RACISM IS ONE OF THE FOUNDING PRINCIPLES OF SUPERFUTURE.

Uh, right........and non-Asian American women should.

I don't get it: why is the fact that an Asian-American is woman standing up for the idea that Asian-American women shouldn't be discriminated against immediately indicative of some prediliction for discriminating against other groups?

I mean . . . it seems like she's just speaking for herself, which is more than can be said for most of the people who seem so concerned about letting us know that this story is not important because it happens all the time. (Which, I would think, actually makes it more important, seeing as it means it's part of a more, not less, disturbing trend.)

But oh well.