When do dry jeans reach perfection for you?

dragonness

I'm new to this universe, and hugely intrigued. I was wondering when dry denim reaches that state you strive for - before the first wash, after numerous washes, what?

Thanks!

When every time you put them on, they feel like they were made for you.

Edit: Seriously, the wear and appearance and all that are a process, you're not trying to get them to reach some perfect snapshot, you're wearing jeans because they're jeans. If you're lucky, and don't over/underwash them, or crash your bike/skateboard/jetpack too hard, they'll eventually look perfectly worn.

Before even the first soak, when they are still a blank canvas and haven't lost any potential. I feel like by the time they get a lot of wear they've settled from the excited state where you can measure neither position nor velocity to the point where your observation has effected both and fixed them both at the moment of measurement.

I certainly got the sense that some form of perfection was the name of the game here. I understand by now that the whole thing about dry denim is the process, but my question was I guess which point in the process do you look forward to in particular.

I guess theetruscan's answer of reaching the point where they feel like they're made for you makes the most sense. I'm not yet familiar with that feeling, so I can only surmise how good that must be.

I loved the Lee 101z's I am 3 1/2 months into with just one no-soap very short rinse for the first 2 weeks. Crispy, raw and stiff yet wearable. Now they feel grubby, far too soft and saggy. I'll keep on keeping on until I see enough indigo moved about before washing but I miss their crispness.

Got some Uniqlo's on the go but they just feel heavy and a bit trashed by their (Uniqlo's) one wash. Nudie Dry Japan to get on with and some more Lee 101's.

Need to get some 501's in to get busy with too - crispy raw lovliness! :)

Before even the first soak, when they are still a blank canvas and haven't lost any potential. I feel like by the time they get a lot of wear they've settled from the excited state where you can measure neither position nor velocity to the point where your observation has effected both and fixed them both at the moment of measurement.

Denim is a science.

I'm with Fayban a bit... though day one they feel a little awkward. But by the time they've lost all the stiffness they've really become yours... with all the fading, scratches, and stains that come with it.

From beautiful but bland, homogenous... to broken and beaten with a story to tell.

From my experience, my jeans have reached perfection in the short time just before they're about to be retired. Same with leather jackets (though I'm not a leather jacket guy... my dad is)

For me-

After at least a year of constant wear before the first wash. When the denim is fully calandared and looks greasy-wet with deep hige and atari and when you take them off and hold them up they appear to still have legs in them.

This is a great thread..

When they're at the six month mark and i don't even have to think about them any more. They've become a part of me and my daily life, and they visually reflect it.

You're literally the opposite of, I believe, approximately every other person on this entire forum.

Sadly I've grown to love how crispy the dry denim are. I have been wearing 90% of my jeans w/o washing to keep them so crisp. To this day they're all still crisp, the oldest hitting the 12 month mark about now and they're only just getting a tad hairy (I'm growing to love this as well).