Putting together a new wardrobe... help!

greatfire

Alright, I'm trying to upgrade my style a little bit. I'm a 21 year old african american male, and I'm about to graduate college. That means I have one more semester to go, and then its the real world. In preparation for this last semester and beyond, I'd like to kick my style up a notch.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to good, trendy jeans I can get? What about t-shirts/buttondowns/etc? Sweaters?

I just need some all around advice.

I'm 6'1" and weigh about 160lbs (that is, I'm skinny). Most of my height is in my legs, so I have to compensate for long legs and short torso. Also, I have arms that are a bit longer than is average for my height. This means that my skinniness is really brought out by those t-shirts with extra short sleeves, or by t-shirts/shirts that aren't long enough. Know what I mean? t-shirts with regular-length sleeves look shorter on me. This situation has really made it difficult for me to grow up out of my oversized t-shirt phase. The oversized shirts look horrible on me, but make me look alot better than the really small t-shirts that are in now.

I'm not big into the really baggy jeans, so thats out. Also, I can't seem to pull off the skin tight jeans. All they do is make me look (honestly) gay, and they make it reaaaaaaally obvious how skinny I am.

So, while I'd like the jeans to be trendy/modern/whatever, I'd also like them to flatter a skinny frame like myself.

My butt is minor.. its not flat, but its certainly barely there.

I know I sound real gay for asking this, but I'm getting kinda desperate.

Thanks!

If you want to mature your style, and don't get on with t shirts, then abandon them for decent fitted button downs (tailors are your friend if you can't find shirts that are already pleated), v neck sweaters (Uniqlo do half decent cashmere if you don't want to break the bank) and a decent blazer.

As to jeans, if you don't like baggy and you don't like skinny, go with the old faithful straight cut. A pair of APC New Standards would serve you nicely. Then get a decent pair of dress shoes in black and brown and a decent belt in black and brown.

Finally, as it's winter, acquire a classic coat such as a peacoat or duffle in a neutral colour (hint: charcoal goes with basically everything).

Instant mature wardrobe upgrade.

A few essentials?

-Trenchcoat

-Oxford shirt (Black Fleece by Thom Browne for Brooks Brothers or Band of Outsiders are GREAT options)

-A good quality cashmere sweater

-A pair of black oxfords and a pair of brown wingtips should get you through most any shoe need

-A pair of flat-front khakis

I assume that you're getting ready for the working world, no? In which case a good suit is also a great idea. Your two options are going to either be a custom tailored suit or buying a suit and having it taken in to fit your build.

I would say one major essential to you upgrading your style..is gaining confidence in your body shape..

I'm somewhat like you..6'2, skinny, but I'm completely comfident with my skinnyness.

Odds are, you won't be rocking SKINTIGHT clothing, and your self perception of how skinny you appear to others is over exaggerated..

I wear 31-32 in the waist, one thing I'm self conscious about is my shoe size, which is 12, but I focus on wearing sneakers/shoes that don't embellish their size...shoes with thin, more fitted toe boxes...but then again I'm not sure what size shoe you wear..

As far as having long legs and a shorter top...maybe lower-rise jeans, longer shirts so as not to accentuate your long legs, and give you a more balanced look?

I think I have this article in GQ about how to dress different body types, I'll look for it and post the info...

For clothes, I'll let everyone else help you out with that...

Hope I helped a bit..I still have much to learn myself.

I kinda agree with the longer shirt idea. When I wear shirts that are too short, I look really really weird.

I'm going into the professional world, yes, but I think that I'll only need one suit on standby. The way everyone dresses where I'll be working involves some really awesome jeans matched with t-shirts/shirts/sweaters, etc.. so that's what I'm trying to get myself to look like. The real problem for me is that nothing fits me well.

Low rise jeans work well, but I avoid them because they just don't like staying on my butt. When I sit down, stand up too quickly, walk around, etc, they start to fall off. Maybe I chose the wrong style of low rise?