Style Tips from Marc Ecko

thedonger

The style he was rocking at MAGIC was probably the "walk of shame" style.

Anyone who's been to Vegas knows: there's too much to do at ANY hour.

You play, you pay by having to walk thru the hotel looking like you woke up with coyote arm,

your shirt untucked, breath stankin. and you have to be at your booth by 8 am.

Cut him some slack, maybe his luggage got lost. (maybe not.)

Can I ask you something? These sunglasses: they're really nice. Are they like government issue, or do you guys all go to the same store together?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did, until they got away from the better graphic designed tees.

I'm not really into the GIANT billboard, small billboard maybe.

Can I ask you something? These sunglasses: they're really nice. Are they like government issue, or do you guys all go to the same store together?

Gotta admit the kid knows a thing or two about building a business. He's one of the only "hip hop" clothing labels around from the original crop (where's FUBU anyway? PNB Nation anyone?)

His branding has afforded him room to grow and you can't be mad @ him for trying to reinvent himself. What is a brand without trying new things. I agree that the ECHO shit is over, but it's still selling and bringing in money to fund all the other ventures.

As far as aligning himself with those "in-the-know", good for him. A good business man is not particularly an idea generator but one that can take those ideas and make them happen (someone say "Puffy"?). There are good ideas born every minute but it means nothing if you can't capitalize on it.

...but I digress icon_smile.gif

Afrique C'est Chic

I like what nappywun is saying.

Trump, doesn't know everything.

He surrounds himself with people who do.

Superfuture is the same idea.

Superfuture is people with common interests

and varying degrees of knowledge exchanging

info and opinions and insight and experiences.

The wealthy (monetarily-speaking) are the ones who capitalize

on that.

OK, what you guys don't see is the picture of what hes wearing. This is from the current issue of details. He is wearing a scarf, hat, purple blazer, and other assorted hideousness that nary a blind man would wear. His advice: shyte. You can argue how legit his business is, but you can't argue this:

1. A great jacket should have details in the construction. My grandfather was a tailor. He taught me that you should be able to turn it inside out, take out the lining, and still come out with something beautiful.

I like details too, its a good magazine. This is a pretty pitiful style tip though.

2. Don’t underestimate color. Most men think about making their pocket square match their tie. Go further than that—think about making the face of your watch match the laces on your shoes.

This is horrible advice. How much more pretentious can you get? Matching your laces to with your watch?

3. There’s a time and a place for tracksuits. If I’m traveling, I’ll wear one in first class. But you won’t see me trying to get into a club in that shit. Unless you’re in Sardinia, then you can wear it anywhere. The concept of tracksuits as casual and urban is a purely American perspective. We think of all of that stuff as “urban.â€

Their is a time and a place for tracksuits. It's usually 8 am on a saturday morning and at an actual track. You can wear the top, or the pants, but it's near impossible to rock it sucessfully.

4. The second you are able to afford them, put a great pair of shoes in your closet. There’s nothing like having a pair of Ferragamo shoes. Makes you feel like a man.

The second you can afford it, get out of debt, espcially credit card debt. And buying shoes makes you feel like a man? I love clothes. I may even have an unhealthy/holy obsession, but leave the hyperbole and derivation-of-self-worth-from-material-possesions to SATC. Oh and one more thing, ferragamo fell off. EG, JL have always been where its at.

5. It’s important not to fear seersucker, but don’t try to re-create Alan Flusser’s Dressing the Man, either. The key is to take the seriousness out of clothes. Respect history, but not in a way that’s corny.

Don't use the word corny. That's my style tip. Wear seersucker too, however you want. Not enough people rock the white and blue (or pink, or grey, or yellow).

6. There’s something suspicious about walking into a meeting with a room full of men whose eyebrows are neater than my wife’s. I pluck my eyebrows, but I’m not about to let some stranger put wax across my face.

But you will match your watch face and your laces. You're a fickle man, Marc Ecko. By the way, if you want to be a real man, its spelled Mark. Mr. Jacobs is a homosexual, that's why he can do it.

7. I use my wife’s products. She gets this cocoa-butter lotion that I’ve been using since we met in college. You go to the real Latino pharmacies on Tonnelle Avenue in Jersey City and there’s this baby cologne called Powder Me Baby. It’s two dollars for a gallon bottle. That scent mixed with cocoa butter is the best smell. It reminds me of her; and there’s something very comforting about that when I travel.

I had a really racist and insensitive comment, but I deleted it so I could rhapsodize about my favorite redolent substance- Ralph Lauren's Romance. I think my ex used to wear it, and my goodness- it is the closest to heaven you can come, conviently packaged in a 2.7oz bottle.

8. A baseball hat is a wonderful thing, but only when you wear it right. Buy one slightly larger than the actual measurement of your head. And whatever you do, don’t curve the brim. Run it flat. It creates a line across your face that puts a nice shadow over your brow.

These style tips are so transient. In three years this "tip" could hold no weight what so ever. Or even less weight- Marc, do you know who reads Details? Gay men and metrosexuals. No the typical tracksuit wearing, non brim-bending demographic. In fact, its not really Ecko'

"The phrase that Ecko now seems to want attached to his name is ''navigator of youth culture,'' which is interesting to parse. The fact that no one really knew who Marc Ecko was -- or even if he was a real person at all -- may well have made his brand easier for different groups to consume. Now he's edging toward the spotlight, but he's no P. Diddy or Gwen Stefani. So instead of trying to pass himself off as the coolest person in the room, he tries to be the guy who can figure out who everybody else thinks is the coolest. It's not an attempt to lead but rather to channel the consumer. ''I always remind myself, I learned everything at 16,'' Ecko says. ''I go back to the skeptical 16-year-old, who hates everything and is critical of everything. I think, What was acceptable?'' (Excerpt from NY Times Magazine article uly 10, 2005)

Afrique C'est Chic

It begs to be pointed out that the guy is in Details, NY Times, and many other mainstream media outlets.

He's got to be doing something right.

Is he considered "Uncool" because he's in the spotlight.

Or is he in the spotlight because he's uncool?

I guess he's in the spotlight because he's actually considered 'cool' to a large part of the mainstream audience. Anyone with any sense for style or half a brain can recognize he's complete garbage though. The sad fact is that the majority of America has no sense of style and lack the ability to think for themselves. I mean Ecko's made it this far, selling the same 'corny' rhino prints year after year.

I know right... I can't believe this thread is still alive?

I'm figuring in my short supertenure that there's a pretty large dissapointed ex- Evisu, Bape, Ecko, etc. faction here on superstupid?

Trying to figure out what to do with all their gear?

LRG has been the new ecko for a minute now people so start dumping that shit asap as well hahahaha.

Ecko's a buttplug & has been from pretty much jump. Enough already...

Let him go get his frat boy money.

-Dub

"blah blah blah what a goober" wow who gives a shit. i don.t like his clothes at all but i.m not gonna go around calling a multimillionaire an idiot. when you come out with whatever clothing line and make hundreds of millions off of it maybe you can give everyone some style tips so people can hate on you too.

Some call it being conceited, I call it seeing the truth.

why would anybody wear a fitted hat with a straight bill? can people not afford to bend the cap lest it looked used? comfort aside, it looks like you're trying too hard to look like you don't care. and for the love of god, please remove the %$##$ shiny sticker from under the bill. we all know you're a baller and get fresh caps from your sponsors. purhhhleese!!!

"God is Dead" - Nietzsche icon_smile_angry.gif

"Nietzsche is Dead" - God icon_smile_cool.gif

Quote:

why would anybody wear a fitted hat with a straight bill? can people not afford to bend the cap lest it looked used? comfort aside, it looks like you're trying too hard to look like you don't care. and for the love of god, please remove the %$##$ shiny sticker from under the bill. we all know you're a baller and get fresh caps from your sponsors. purhhhleese!!!

--- Original message by darknworn on Aug 5, 2005 12:07 AM

Stickers UNDER the bill aren't so bad.. it's the ones ON TOP .. gross. It's like walkin around with the size sticker still on your denim. (I know most of you don't buy denim with stickers like that, but still)

^ I think that statements pretty bullshit

WHats the difference of stickers anywhere if thats your philosophy? Why would it look any different under the bill? Like its the same shit

as far as keeping the stickers on, I do it because its just been commonplace for me for damn near 8 years now, and because it has a purpose. Its knid of a throwback to the yo MTV raps starter caps style, but more importantly it keeps them looking fresh because you dont have to tuoch the hat with your fingers. It may sound silly, but keeping things that fresh is just part of my style. Pristine gear is poppin. To some genres having a snal back cap that looks like its ben drove over with a tractor is poppin, its just different tastes. Brand new is always the look of choice in the "urban" community

Brand new yeah but lose the fuckin' stickers!

Dare to swim the other direction homie... (every Herb leaves the stickers on)

Pop them tags man... "Pop" meaning lose em'!

Nothing better then a clean NewEra, straight brim, no freakin' clown stickers or tags.

You Bell Biv Devoe wannabees.

-Dub

Quote:

^i agree, people here dont know how to dress.....but everything is subjective i guess....

--- Original message by kixslf on Aug 5, 2005 03:48 PM

Your assuming that everyone on ST is from the states.

First time I have heard of the sticker thing, are you talking about the price tag sticker?